Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Covid Post Op and Weight Loss Stalled

Has anyone here tested positive for Covid after surgery and suddenly stopped losing weight? I’m 5.5 months out and started having symptoms a little over a week ago, tested positive yesterday. I haven’t dropped any weight since and am actually gaining. I’m not on any medications since I am vaccinated and my symptoms aren’t severe. I’ve been consistently dropping weight up until the last week and a half. Not sure if it’s possibly inflammation from Covid that’s causing this?

Could be inflammation, or you're retaining water... hope you feel better soon!

Complete opposite for me (1 year post).... I started symptoms on Sunday and dropped 5lbs since then. Just a question for you - Did you lose taste/smell? That has to be the STRANGEST thing I've ever felt! I've been drinking a ton of Gatorade Zero and I can tell there's a "sweet" sort of taste, but no actual flavor. The lack of a sniffer... Well, trying to make the best of it and sniffing strange stuff to see if/when it comes back. I couldn't even smell bleach!!

On 09/15/2021 at 17:00, MandoGetsSleeved said:

Complete opposite for me (1 year post).... I started symptoms on Sunday and dropped 5lbs since then. Just a question for you - Did you lose taste/smell? That has to be the STRANGEST thing I've ever felt! I've been drinking a ton of Gatorade Zero and I can tell there's a "sweet" sort of taste, but no actual flavor. The lack of a sniffer... Well, trying to make the best of it and sniffing strange stuff to see if/when it comes back. I couldn't even smell bleach!!

I haven’t fully lost my taste/smell but it’s definitely lower than normal. I can’t seem to smell the normal things around the house (fragrances, candles etc) like I usually do either.

I
Just stick with your program as long as doctor says it is ok. The added stress of having COVID could be affecting you too.

On 09/15/2021 at 21:14, Jaye W said:

I

Just stick with your program as long as doctor says it is ok. The added stress of having COVID could be affecting you too.

I haven’t changed anything with my diet, so everything has been going as normal in that respect. I’m also on a “normal” diet since I’m so far past my surgery date, so there isn’t a program I’m following at this point other than that eating a certain amount of cals and macros. The only thing that has changed is having Covid.

When I had Covid in 2020 I gained weight because it gave me tons of inflammation ex. arthritis and asthma. It’s what propelled me toward WLS. Stress and lack of sleep could be holding the weight on too. Just stay on track as best you can and your body will right itself. Funny how drinking lots of Water helps fight viruses AND helps weight loss!

On 09/18/2021 at 16:11, learn2cook said:

When I had Covid in 2020 I gained weight because it gave me tons of inflammation ex. arthritis and asthma. It’s what propelled me toward WLS. Stress and lack of sleep could be holding the weight on too. Just stay on track as best you can and your body will right itself. Funny how drinking lots of Water helps fight viruses AND helps weight loss!

I’ve definitely noticed the arthritis symptoms and swelling. It feels as if all my major joints have been hit with a baseball bat. Even my hands and feet are swollen and hurting.

Covid causes MASSIVE inflammation, so y'all're totally on the right track.

Got infected Dec 10, recovered pretty well; didn't get terribly sick, mostly just fatigue and muscle aches plus a fever for a few days.

However, my GI tract has been all kinds of messed up. Lost - at least - 3 lbs in less than two weeks, and probably 5 (not at home with my scale right now). food just backs up, I have diarrhea, I barfed last night - a full 30 minutes after eating and with no food even remotely digested.

It's ... not great. I don't want to lose more. It's not that I can't eat anything, and I can probably sneak enough calories in to keep my weight up, but how annoying is this. I'm literally having to resort to bread with butter (which also doesn't sit well, never has) in order to get high-calorie, easy-ish to absorb, food in.

Anyone else had this COVID symptom? I developed a full-body rash, too. Itchy af.

I’m 16 months post revision for GERD and 2years out from VSG. First symptoms 9 days ago, tested positive on the 20th. Even while moving less and eating more calories I’ve managed to somehow lose weight.

Symptoms include- extreme fatigue, sinus congestion, Migraine, dry cough, diarrhea, and some body aches.

Edited to add- you’re right on track for a stall as well being almost 6months out. That might be part of it along with the inflammation that Covid causes.

Edited by Starwarsandcupcakes

7 hours ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I’m 16 months post revision for GERD and 2years out from VSG. First symptoms 9 days ago, tested positive on the 20th. Even while moving less and eating more calories I’ve managed to somehow lose weight.

Symptoms include- extreme fatigue, sinus congestion, Migraine, dry cough, diarrhea, and some body aches.

Edited to add- you’re right on track for a stall as well being almost 6months out. That might be part of it along with the inflammation that Covid causes.

Sucks that you got it, too! OP is +3 months old, I just didn't want to start a new thread :)