Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is smoking marijuana safe after surgery?

I am on my 2 week liquid diet, 12 days to go before surgery. I’ve been doing good so far! I’ve been smoking weed for years, as it helps me sleep and calms my anxiety. I prefer it over any pharmaceutical. I quit blunt wraps for the surgery because I am not addicted to tobacco thankfully. Because I’ve been smoking for years, I no longer have munchies. That was one of the effects as a newbie smoker, but now I don’t have them or I alternate to healthy Snacks. Smoking has been helping me get through the pre op diet. As long as I have the “munchies” under control, should I be safe to smoke after the surgery? Any other bariatric stoners out there?

Following because in my psych eval, he actually suggested I switch to medical Marijuana.

Hey i just posted same question i had my surgery last week but ive been smoking for years ( weed/hash only ) my friend suggested edibles but not sure tbh cause ur stomach has to proccess the thc - i just wana smoke before i sleep abit but probably risky

I tried smoking a joint the first week after surgery. I didn't wan't to take pain meds cuz it backs me up, so i figured I would try some pot and see if it would help to keep my mind off my sore tummy.

Anyhoo, I hadn't smoked in a while, so of course after the first drag i had a coughing fit. Ouch the pain in my stomach from the coughing was 10000000x times worse, *sigh*.

So that was the end of that.

If I remember correctly, I tried again the next summer (about 8 months postop), and no issues. Though i probably would have been fine having some earlier (like when my tummy soreness was gone).

Edited by ms.sss

I'm pre-op, so no help to your question specifically, though I don't think there is any documented specific risk of using post-op. Just a note of caution though, it is STRONGLY recommended that you stop all use of THC in any form at least 2 weeks before surgery because it is well documented that cannabis use can interfere with the efficacy of anesthesia. Folks who use, very often need higher doses of meds to get and stay sedated. So if you aren't going to go cold turnkey at least 2 weeks in advance, you absolutely need to disclose to your surgeon and anesthesiologist when you go in, otherwise you are putting your literal life at risk. They won't care and won't report you (if not legal in your state), although they may delay your surgery depending on their pre-op requirements. But delaying and being safe is better than risking complications. Absolutely ZERO judgement, just want you to be informed and use accordingly.

If my surgery goes through (still waiting for insurance crap to be handled), which is Monday, I was told to wait 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after. I use MM but first off, it can mess with anesthesia, and second it can interfere with your healing (something to do with the blood vessels contracting.)

It has been hard for me too, since I also use no pharma as well. Work is stressful for me so its been hard to not grab it when I need it.

I have medical marijuana. I stopped smoking a few days before surgery because it can affect the anesthesia. I started smoking again a couple days after my surgery. My doctor said as long as i felt fine, it was fine for me to smoke. I did choose to smoke a vape pen at first because i figured the smoke would be less harsh.

*If you feel the need to cough-hug a pillow against your stomach-it helps with the discomfort/pain

Also, another tip for anyone with munchies-try brushing your teeth after you smoke. It will get rid of the weedy taste and put a nice minty taste in your mouth and curb your appetite.

1 minute ago, michelleislosingit said:

I have medical marijuana. I stopped smoking a few days before surgery because it can affect the anesthesia. I started smoking again a couple days after my surgery. My doctor said as long as i felt fine, it was fine for me to smoke. I did choose to smoke a vape pen at first because i figured the smoke would be less harsh.

*If you feel the need to cough-hug a pillow against your stomach-it helps with the discomfort/pain

Also, another tip for anyone with munchies-try brushing your teeth after you smoke. It will get rid of the weedy taste and put a nice minty taste in your mouth and curb your appetite.

Someone told me they suck on sugar free lollipops too and that helps with munchies!

I stopped inhaling about a week before surgery (vape, joints, etc). I continued with edibles up until 48 hours before surgery.

After surgery, I used a liquid Syrup starting about 10 days after surgery. I only took painkillers for about two days after surgery. I used the syrup because it was gentle, didn't need to be chewed, etc. However, I would strongly suggest trying it before surgery so you know how well it works etc. Not all tinctures and syrups are created equal. Some that say they are 30mg a dose I might not feel, but take 10mg dose of another and it hits me hard.

I personally made the decision to avoid inhaling anything until after the stomach suture line is fully healed. It wasn't worth the risk to me to get into a coughing fit. (Even though I am a long time smoker and don't cough)

And I understand what you are saying about the munchie concern... once you have used marijuana enough you know what gives you munchies, what doesn't etc. I avoid the strains I know will do that to me, or I only have healthy munchies close by.

Dont forget that your tolerance and the way you absorb things has changed.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:19 AM, NinaMariexo said:

I am on my 2 week liquid diet, 12 days to go before surgery. I’ve been doing good so far! I’ve been smoking weed for years, as it helps me sleep and calms my anxiety. I prefer it over any pharmaceutical. I quit blunt wraps for the surgery because I am not addicted to tobacco thankfully. Because I’ve been smoking for years, I no longer have munchies. That was one of the effects as a newbie smoker, but now I don’t have them or I alternate to healthy Snacks. Smoking has been helping me get through the pre op diet. As long as I have the “munchies” under control, should I be safe to smoke after the surgery? Any other bariatric stoners out there?

@NinaMariexo, you didn't have to stop smoking before the surgery?

You better talk about it with your doctor instead of asking random people on the Internet.
But if you ask me, I will not suggest you smoke anything. There are much safer ways to consume cannabis, like edibles or gummies. Some people bake pies or Cookies with weed, and it works just as well as regular weed does. Smoking is very dangerous to your throat and lungs.
I prefer taking gummies from tillmanstranquils.com. They also help me lower my anxiety, sleep better and be more confident while communicating with people. It is something that I appreciate about these gummies.

Edited by andrzejrule

On 6/15/2022 at 7:25 AM, andrzejrule said:

You better talk about it with your doctor instead of asking random people on the Internet.
But if you ask me, I will not suggest you smoke anything.

THIS.....I don't use any form of drug at all (refused all pain meds after 2 days and only took Tylenol) so I can't help with that part. BUT, I remember in my pre op appt, in the hospital, and my 1st post op appt I was told not to smoke ANYTHING (cigarettes or weed or vaping) for 1 week before surgery and 2 weeks after. I was told no edibles or anything a week prior because of the all liquid diet, and none for 2 weeks after for the same reason. So 3 total weeks of nothing, then could slowly introduce gummies once the mushy stage started and could smoke once the sutures and abdominal muscles fully healed (again, none of this applied to me, but I guess they have to say it multiple times anyway). The best people to really talk about this with is your surgical team. They will give you the best advice for your specific situation, surgery, and health. Good luck!!

I take high dose medical mj edibles. Had zero issues with anesthesia or anything leading up to, during, or since surgery. My only suggestion would be to switch to an edible vs inhalant. There are plenty of strong personalities on here that will defend vaping as if they had stock in the concept - so this isn’t an invite for any of their nonsense today. Just my suggestion. Good luck and enjoy life!

I think it depends on what type of surgery you had and how you complicated it was for you or your body. In any case, it's important to speak with a doctor you trust and are sure will give you the best advice. I gave up almost three years ago on everything related to smoking and drugs, but before that, I always checked https://darkcatalog.com/asap-market/. They have a lot of pieces of information there about this field, and people often share their situations and results. Anyways, if you can stay far from them, this is the best decision you can make.

Edited by Jimboscope