Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need lap band removed revising to Gastric Bypass

Hi,

I have had the lap band for a little over 10 years. I had lost 100 lbs but gained 30 back. I recently found out my band migrated. I was having severe acid reflux, regurgitation, and sleepless nights of choking and puking. I finally had some testing done & they found my band migrated and there was a hernia above it and my lower esophagus was having issues pushing food through. I got my Fluid taken out on Friday & I am finally able to sleep again. I am really shocked about how strange it is to be able to eat things I wasn't able to for 10 years, I am also enjoying taking a drink while eating.

I am going to revise to the gastric bypass surgery & was wondering if anyone has had better success after a revision from the band to bypass? I can't do the sleeve because of my acid reflux issues. I tried to avoid bypass, as to why I had the band to begin with. Something about moving my insides around didn't sit well with me. I also see horror stories about dumping and blood sugar issues.

I don't want to gain all my weight back because of a band issue & also don't want to have a removal of one thing and nothing to replace it.

I am not sure how fast this will all go, they said they could do emergency surgery if I was still having issues, or do it as a normal surgery. My insurance covers revision. Hopefully soon before I gain all this weight back. I'm enjoying trying different foods I had to avoid for the past 10 yrs. hahahaha.

On 09/12/2021 at 16:53, MelissaWisconsin said:

Hi,

I have had the lap band for a little over 10 years. I had lost 100 lbs but gained 30 back. I recently found out my band migrated. I was having severe acid reflux, regurgitation, and sleepless nights of choking and puking. I finally had some testing done & they found my band migrated and there was a hernia above it and my lower esophagus was having issues pushing food through. I got my Fluid taken out on Friday & I am finally able to sleep again. I am really shocked about how strange it is to be able to eat things I wasn't able to for 10 years, I am also enjoying taking a drink while eating.

I am going to revise to the gastric bypass surgery & was wondering if anyone has had better success after a revision from the band to bypass? I can't do the sleeve because of my acid reflux issues. I tried to avoid bypass, as to why I had the band to begin with. Something about moving my insides around didn't sit well with me. I also see horror stories about dumping and blood sugar issues.

I don't want to gain all my weight back because of a band issue & also don't want to have a removal of one thing and nothing to replace it.

I am not sure how fast this will all go, they said they could do emergency surgery if I was still having issues, or do it as a normal surgery. My insurance covers revision. Hopefully soon before I gain all this weight back. I'm enjoying trying different foods I had to avoid for the past 10 yrs. hahahaha.

Hey fellow Wisconsinite! I just had to say I can relate to many things you are saying. I had my band removed 3 years ago after 10 years. I was amazing to to eat a cheeseburger with a bun! I couldn’t have a revision at the time because my BMI was too low, but after too many cheeseburgers I am scheduled for RNY in October. I also had/have issues with acid reflux. If I could have done it 3 years ago I would have and not had to go through all of the weight gain.

only about 30% of RNYers dump, and for those who do, it can be prevented by limiting or avoiding sugar (which we all should be doing ANYWAY). A minority of dumpers dump on fat, so they can prevent it by limiting their fat intake (for most dumpers, though, it's sugar - or rather, too much of it at one setting - that sets it off).

I've never dumped - and many of us haven't. I wouldn't call it a horror story, to be honest. It's mostly preventable, and again, a majority of us don't dump.

blood sugar issues: Not sure what exactly you're referring to. Some people develop reactive hypoglycemia (RH), but like dumping, that can be controlled. I have it. I just have to eat something every 3-4 hours - and if I eat a carb, I have to eat a Protein with it. Haven't had an episode it probably three years. So it's not a horror story - it's kind of a minor issue that can be controlled.

In my mind, dumping in RNY patients (30% of them) vs acid reflux in sleeve patients (also 30% of them) is kind of a wash. Although at least dumping can be controlled. RH is a lot less common, but again, it's largely controllable.

I've been really happy with my RNY - I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

P.S. there seems to be a Wisconsin theme going on here...

Edited by catwoman7

RNY is still the gold standard of WLS and usually corrects reflux and Type II Diabetes. Go for the gold. :)

Hi. I have had a lap band for 11 and half years. I lost around 100 lbs with it but it turned me into a bulimic because I could eat whatever I wanted and just "regurgitate" it back up. It was a bad cycle to be in, but it kept my weight off. Finally last year I went to my bariatric surgeon and confessed up. He did some tests and realized my esophagus was "floppy" and dilated. He did a complete unfill of my band at the time. I was able to maintain my original weight loss on the Keto diet, but after 10 months I fell off the keto wagon and the weight QUICKLY returned. I gained around 50 lbs in 4 months!!

I went back to my surgeon a year later and we have decided to remove my lap band and switch to the gastric bypass. He is not a fan of the lap band surgery anymore and is not recommending them to his patients. I have my surgery next week on October 6th. I am nervous because I am 52 now and postmenopausal. Im definitely not as active as I was when I first had my lap band surgery almost 12 years ago.

How many people on this forum have had the lap band to bypass? How was their weight loss compared to the first surgery? What differences do you notice with restriction? Anyone having the surgery soon? or recently? Thanks in advance!

On 9/29/2021 at 1:45 PM, EmKat said:

Hi. I have had a lap band for 11 and half years. I lost around 100 lbs with it but it turned me into a bulimic because I could eat whatever I wanted and just "regurgitate" it back up. It was a bad cycle to be in, but it kept my weight off. Finally last year I went to my bariatric surgeon and confessed up. He did some tests and realized my esophagus was "floppy" and dilated. He did a complete unfill of my band at the time. I was able to maintain my original weight loss on the Keto diet, but after 10 months I fell off the Keto wagon and the weight QUICKLY returned. I gained around 50 lbs in 4 months!!

I went back to my surgeon a year later and we have decided to remove my lap band and switch to the gastric bypass. He is not a fan of the lap band surgery anymore and is not recommending them to his patients. I have my surgery next week on October 6th. I am nervous because I am 52 now and postmenopausal. Im definitely not as active as I was when I first had my lap band surgery almost 12 years ago.

How many people on this forum have had the lap band to bypass? How was their weight loss compared to the first surgery? What differences do you notice with restriction? Anyone having the surgery soon? or recently? Thanks in advance!

I would be interested to know as well

I have not had lap band but I have had two prior bariatric surgeries that failed. I am now going to have RNY Gastric Bypass revision at age 73. I have learned a lot since I started on this path 6 months ago.

Good for you for moving forward toward a healthy weight. However, I'm concerned that you have not learned how to eat differently yet. Consider the possibility that you are a sugar/food addict. If you are, Keto is not the answer for you. You need to change your habits entirely.

I strongly recommend some reading for you. Choose at least one book from each of these groups. Finally, conclude with Success Habits of Weight Loss Patients.

Get started now. Apparently you have already had the surgery, so there is no time to be lost.

986147613_Suggaraddiction.jpg.3618d29bb28df030df01815f91c2680f.jpg406172225_WLSbasics.jpg.c5291d108b1c660253ce1b69c4bb6437.jpg
Cookbooks.jpg.8ecb8ac0758ec83d36f422b9129f5667.jpg

1977267488_SuccessHabits.jpg.3754eaa8e4331dc4b8a5341d6509e1c6.jpg

I got some interesting pictures of my insides today.

Reason for Multidisciplinary Case Review: lap adjustable gastric band by Dr. Johnson on 6/6/2011. Had emergent Fluid removal from band with dr. Svendsen on 9/10/21. She had been experiencing severe reflux, regurgitation, choking at night, night time cough, vomiting nearly everyday and abdominal pain after eating, Some of the symptoms have resolved after the fluid removal. She continues to have heartburn and epigastric pain.
A comprehensive review of imaging and relevant past medical history occurred.
Upper GI Series (9/8/2021):
Gastric band located below the diaphragm with widening phi angle measuring 66 degrees. The proximal pouch has migrated into the chest consistent with a hiatal hernia. There is dilatation of the distal esophagus and esophageal dysmotility
Upper GI Endoscopy (10/6/21):
- Tortuous esophagus.
- Normal esophageal mucosa. Biopsied.
- Z-line irregular, 38 cm from the incisors.
- 2 cm hiatal hernia.
- Gastric band slipped 2-3 cms distally.
- Body and antral gastritis. Biopsied.
- Multiple duodenal polyps. Biopsied.
biopsy Results (10/7/21):
A) DUODENUM, POLYPS, BIOPSY:
1. Gastric (fundic) heterotopia
2. Normal background duodenum; negative for celiac disease
3. Negative for dysplasia and malignancy
STOMACH, ANTRUM, BIOPSY:
1. Normal gastric antral mucosa
2. Negative for Helicobacter
C) ESOPHAGUS, DISTAL, BIOPSY:
1. Normal esophageal squamous mucosa
2. Negative for reflux changes and eosinophilic esophagitis
3. Negative for columnar mucosa
Staff present from ANW, UTD, MCY & Shakopee Weight Management including Surgeons, Advance Practice Clinicians, Bariatric Nurse Clinicians, Registered Dietitians, Psychologists
She has completed her preoperative evaluation and has been judged to be a good candidate for surgery.
Plan:
A Laparoscopic conversion of adjustable gastric band to roux-en-y Gastric Bypass and hiatal hernia repair would be an excellent choice to meet her goals for weight loss and comorbidity resolution.
The plan is to proceed with scheduling for surgery.

esophugus.PNG

45 minutes ago, Sunnyway said:

I have not had lap band but I have had two prior bariatric surgeries that failed. I am now going to have RNY Gastric Bypass revision at age 73. I have learned a lot since I started on this path 6 months ago.

Good for you for moving forward toward a healthy weight. However, I'm concerned that you have not learned how to eat differently yet. Consider the possibility that you are a sugar/food addict. If you are, Keto is not the answer for you. You need to change your habits entirely.

I strongly recommend some reading for you. Choose at least one book from each of these groups. Finally, conclude with Success Habits of Weight Loss Patients.

Get started now. Apparently you have already had the surgery, so there is no time to be lost.

986147613_Suggaraddiction.jpg.3618d29bb28df030df01815f91c2680f.jpg 406172225_WLSbasics.jpg.c5291d108b1c660253ce1b69c4bb6437.jpg
Cookbooks.jpg.8ecb8ac0758ec83d36f422b9129f5667.jpg

1977267488_SuccessHabits.jpg.3754eaa8e4331dc4b8a5341d6509e1c6.jpg

I actually bought a few bariatric books when making my decision. I’m reading Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies right now. Losing weight and keeping it off is definitely in our head. The surgery is only a tool. If we don’t follow the expected guidelines that come with the surgery then we set ourselves up for failure. Those books are perfect to help us on our journey to become healthier. Thank you.

Congratulations on almost being free of the lap band. I had a lap band for like 13 years and it caused me so much pain and misery over the years. Amazing how we put up with so much suffering because it starts to seem "normal".

I ended up going with a sleeve revision, but knowing what I know now, I would have either gone with the bypass instead or just tried to live with my normal stomach. The sleeve's tendency to cause reflux and hiatal hernias is a real problem. I didn't understand back then just how bad it could get.