Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who lost a lot before surgery?

I have lost 50 lbs in the 7-8 months I've been preparing for surgery, although only a few pounds on the actual pre-op diet. I have read that this will make my weight loss slower or less after surgery.

If you lost a lot (like about a third of what you want to lose) before surgery, did you lose slowly or less out of surgery? I have set my goal at 150, but ideally I'd like to get to a "normal" BMI below 140, but I'll see what feels good when I get there. My surgery center said I can expect to get to about 170-180, which is pretty depressing.

I lost 57 lbs before surgery (I think about 15 of that was on the two-week pre-op diet, though - so 42 lbs before the pre-op diet).

you'll likely lose on the low side the first month after surgery, since for most people, a lot of that huge drop the first month is Water weight, and your water weight is long gone. Mine was, too. I lost 16 lbs the first month.

after the first month, I don't think it makes a difference if you lost weight pre-surgery or not.

surgeons usually quote you the average weight loss (60-70% of your excess weight), because statistically, that's where most people end up. But a statistic is a statistic - there are always people who are going to lose more or less than that. If you really work at it, you can do better than that. I almost never went off my plan and lost 100% of my excess weight.

Good Luck with your surgery on Monday lizonaplane! Keep us updated! 😊

What @catwoman7 said.

I lost 11lbs during the pre-surgery two week liquid diet and nothing else before that.

My first month was my biggest loss IN POUNDS by far. But my excess weight loss percentage rate kept increasing as time went on.

Good Luck! ❤️

P.S. I just took a look at my records and i suppose the second month was also comparatively high to the remaining months...from month 3 onward though, it was basically 10-ish lbs a month until goal.

I didn’t lose anything before my pre op diet either, but wanted to say enjoy your weekend with your parents and good luck in surgery Monday. 🍀

Goodluck on Monday!! How are you feeling? I haven’t lost much on pre op diet either but have a few more days to see if there is a change. Got my out of office ready today excitement and fear starting to kick in. Bricking Wed. All the best x

Not a ton. I had bulked up for a strongman contest in April which put me at 376, and today I was 356. I’d love to be under 350 for surgery (yay liquid diet) but if it doesn’t happen before surgery it sure as shootin’ will after surgery.

Good luck lizonaplane!! I’m Tuesday so will be following any updates you feel ready to make!

I lost 68 pounds leading up to my surgery. 15 pounds of that during the pre-op diet, so 53 pounds before the pre-op diet. I don't feel like it affected my weight loss after surgery and the surgeon actually said it was better to lose as much weight as you can before your surgery because then you'll lose more overall, but I guess every surgeon has a different opinion on that... I've lost 143 pounds post-op (so 211 pounds in total) and am still losing. Slowly, but still losing. My slower then average loss is because of my hypothyroidism though. And inflammation from my arthritis. You'll probably be fine. And surgeons just give people a statistical average. Those averages include a mix of people who follow the diet religiously and those who somewhat follow the diet and those who basically eat whatever they want after they get back into the general diet because they don't care anymore (or the ones who drink their calories and then don't count those calories among what they ate for the day and wonder why they're not losing weight... hmm, I wonder... -_-"). Anyway, if you follow the plan and watch your intake then I don't see why you couldn't pass the statistical average and reach your goal.

I started getting serious about my diet a lil less that two months before my surgery and lost 18 lbs during that time.

16 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I have lost 50 lbs in the 7-8 months I've been preparing for surgery, although only a few pounds on the actual pre-op diet. I have read that this will make my weight loss slower or less after surgery.

If you lost a lot (like about a third of what you want to lose) before surgery, did you lose slowly or less out of surgery? I have set my goal at 150, but ideally I'd like to get to a "normal" BMI below 140, but I'll see what feels good when I get there. My surgery center said I can expect to get to about 170-180, which is pretty depressing.

Your surgery is Monday? Yay! I'm so excited for you. It sure has been a long road for you to get here. Sending positive vibes and a virtual hug. 🤗 Good luck!

I lost around 70 pre-surgery (and I didn’t follow a specific program - was just trying to lose weight on my own - lost 50 before I even met with the surgeon). I was around 227 the day of surgery and by month 7 had lost all of my excess weight. It’s definitely slowed down in the last couple of months but I am below my initial goal weight (which was in the “normal” BMI range). I’m now hoping to get down to 135 but it’s really slow now and getting these “mini-stalls” where I stay around the same weight for 2-3 weeks then have a couple of weeks where I lose 1-2 lbs, rinse and repeat. I’m exercising a lot though so that may be part of it - incorporated weights after about 10 weeks post-op. I do take my measurements once a month so I can see progress there even though it’s slowing on the scale.

Good luck with your surgery - you got this!

Thinking of you, @lizonaplane, and hoping your surgery/recovery was smooth. Please do check in when you feel up to it.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, FutureSylph said:

Thinking of you, @lizonaplane, and hoping your surgery/recovery was smooth. Please do check in when you feel up to it.

Thanks! This is the first day I'm back on my computer. I am slowly feeling less pain, although it's still more pain that I expected (whoever described this as "discomfort" was either joking or a masochist). It hurts unless I am lying down. I have more hunger than I expected and I'm taking the omeprazole as directed. I finally had a BM after a week!!! It took four different types of laxatives. My surgery was Monday and I took my last opiod on Thursday. I think I took three total after coming home from the hospital.

On 09/18/2021 at 15:48, lizonaplane said:

Thanks! This is the first day I'm back on my computer. I am slowly feeling less pain, although it's still more pain that I expected (whoever described this as "discomfort" was either joking or a masochist). It hurts unless I am lying down. I have more hunger than I expected and I'm taking the omeprazole as directed. I finally had a BM after a week!!! It took four different types of laxatives. My surgery was Monday and I took my last opiod on Thursday. I think I took three total after coming home from the hospital.

What did you try for Constipation? The hospital gave me lactulose which doesn’t seem to be doing much, it’s day 5 for me today. The pain for me seems to be in two places - in the middle of my chest and after I’ve had a drink and it lands in my stomach. Hoping it starts to get easier as this is pretty rough.

I lost 75lbs starting in January 2021, then started my pre op liquid diet last week and lost another 9 for a total of 84. I've got one more week to go! My goal is 180, which would still be a bit overweight but was a thin as I've ever been so it's a long ways to go

Edited by HerdingCats
Spelling