Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret and Depression

15 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Lentil Pasta and bread are pretty much carbs. I have read a lot about those not being easy to eat for many people after surgery.

Also, you might be eating too quickly? Not sure, since I've never watched you eat 🤓

Meal prepping is great. When I was working at home I did that. Now that I'm on the road it's actually a lot harder to eat healthy.

I agree with @SleeverSk that you might consider having a Protein Shake (or a low sugar yogurt) in the morning if you're feeling nauseous. Also, could your Multivitamin be making you sick in the morning? I take mine at night and if it's been too long since dinner, I get really nauseous. I'm going to try taking it with dinner.

Some things that have been very easy for me to eat (I'm 8 weeks out) are ground turkey/chicken, deli meat, tuna fish with Miracle Whip (you could use mayo, same thing), trout and other fish, and refried Beans. I had a really hard time with lettuce but most other veggies have been fine.

I hope it gets better.

I thought I was being clever with the lentil pasta, dang lol. If its not you in the bushes with the binoculars at dinner then who is it? :D I mean maybe I still am eating to fast, I didn't really think so but its always a possibility I'll keep that in mind thanks, I know its not that I'm eating too much, could just be what I'm eating. I wouldn't know how to eat healthy on the road, that must be a big learning curve?? chicken isn't agreeing with me atm so I might move over to tuna for awhile, last time I tried that I don't remember any problems. Thanks for getting in touch ❤️

On 9/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, A. Will said:

I am 7 months post-op, and I still have major regrets about the surgery, every day, I wish I had not made this choice despite consistent weight loss. I am happy many people in the replies have moved past this phase. I hope to one day be at that point.

I suggest seeing a therapist as soon as you can.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:04 PM, Hiccup said:

Not trying to sound dramatic or anything but I've been on this forum since 2016 and I've been fantasizing about having this surgery for the past decade and I always knew in my mind that the day I do it will be one of the happiest days in my life especially from watching all those YT videos of people speaking about their positive life changes after the surgery and all... now I know that that there are truly positive and beneficial changes which will come from the surgery especially when it comes to health and life expectancy apart from the visual aspect of it and I know that in a few months once I start seeing the difference and losing weight I will feel differently too BUT right now, 5 days after the surgery, from the moment I came out of the operation room and opened my eyes up until this moment I cant stop feeling but regret that I did the surgery, I'm not sure why I feel this way but it's causing me somewhat of a depression and I'm feeling sad all the time that I did it, that I had to cut a part of my inner self and go through all this pain and misery to lose weight, regrets that I couldn't do it without surgery eventhough I tried dieting hard so many times and for so long. I just really regret having this operation and I feel so unhappy about having to do it now that I've done it eventhought I've been wanting to do it for so long.

Anyome else who's had it felt the same way, and what helped you move on?

I'm 2 weeks and 2 days post op. This is exactly how I felt! Now 2 weeks later, not as much but I do feel a bit shell shocked. I don't think any amount of research can really prepare you for it. It's a massive deal. food is a big thing and your body has gone through a lot. Try to remember why you done and how the weight held you back. You obviously done it for the right reasons. Good luck 🍀💪

How are u feeling now???

I had surgery on March 5th; I 100% regret my decision to have surgery. There is so much I wish I had known before getting this done. I know it's still early in my journey, but I was "healthy" by medical standards, but I was just FAT! I wish I would have just excepted that about myself... I personally think everyone should have mandatory meetings with a therapist for the six months before surgery.

I'm so sorry you feel bad. I think your body is going through a lot of changes and if at all possible be patient with yourself and give yourself a heavy dose of grace. I'll be praying for you!!! Hang in there!

1 hour ago, carpeediem said:

I had surgery on March 5th; I 100% regret my decision to have surgery. There is so much I wish I had known before getting this done. I know it's still early in my journey, but I was "healthy" by medical standards, but I was just FAT! I wish I would have just excepted that about myself... I personally think everyone should have mandatory meetings with a therapist for the six months before surgery.

You had surgery 10 days ago? It's not uncommon to have 2nd thoughts right after surgery. When you combine post-surgical pain, the shock of the change in diet, possible post-surgical depression, and a lot of other factors, it can take a while to feel "normal" again. Don't assume you'll always feel the way you do now - take it a day at a time. Week three was when I turned the corner. Best wishes!

9 hours ago, carpeediem said:

Oh Carpeediem I went through the same thing and nothing anyone tells you will help you feel any different right now. If you go to my profile and read my early posts and think I even posted early on in this thread, you will see what I mean I think I even have a post almost exactly the same as this I even went on a huge rant on a sleeve Facebook pages saying the surgery should be banned for all except those with life threatening conditions 😳. Be kind to yourself these feelings don't last and soon you will be able get back to " normal" it will be a different normal but not how you are now. Go see a therapist that will help understand your relationship with food and how to cope with the feelings you have now. I am now almost 8 months out and feel much better about having the surgery however it did take me until the 4 to 5 month mark to even start feeling better. If you want to pm me please feel free to do so. Big hugs 🫂 it does get better

Talk to your doctor or nurse or see if you can talk to the pre op psychologist.

I felt the same regret the first 2 weeks after surgery. It was really intense and felt like I didn’t care about losing weight anymore. I didn’t even look at the scale, but I could still see my body changing. It is a lot like postpartum in a way, and I am grateful to have a lot of support at home.
Everything is looking a lot better now that I’m doing at least puréed foods, but I still struggle a lot. The past couple have days have been great compared to those 2 really dark weeks.
My care team told me that I will probably experience the stages of grief, and eventually it will get a lot better.

I think you are just nervous about the future, it happens, also because the surgery your organism can have huge stress, so don't worry you will be back on the good state and all will be fine, it often happens when you re changing too much in your life, also you mentioned that you were fantasizing about the operation, so this one of the bad parts what dream is live, missing the subject of fantasizing, you better to think about future not about that was done before. If you will feel uncomfortable and depressed next week visit this site and reach their online helpline https://www.andalahealth.com/condition/treatment-resistant-depression/.

Edited by kennedyaut

I am very worried about the mood swings and intense depression after surgery which I have experienced all my life and it's really bad when I'm restricting my portions. What type of symptoms did you have if you don't mind me asking. I often get angry or become overly sensitive to every comment or perceived slight.
Did you have these mood swings before. On any mental health medication. I am bipolar and had problems after surgery and it took me a while to think that since things absorb different maybe my meds were not absorbing the way they used to also. Talked to my psychiatrist and upped some and changed others but Im doing good now. I really hope things get better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app