Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much liquids is actually enough?

Day 4 from the surgery and my doctor has advised to consume a minimum of 1.5 to 2 litres of liquids but as much as I try to drink I'm just unable to tolerate more than about 500 to 700 millilitres a day and mu urine is starting to turn pretty dark especially at night time. any advice on what could make me tolerate more liquids such as Water?

Sent from my SM-N950F using BariatricPal mobile app

It will get better with time. At this point, just drink as much as possible right now. It will get easier quickly. I think I was up to the required 64oz within three or four days of returning from the hospital.

It gets easier each and every day. I had to go back to hospital as an out patient, though, just to get a couple of bags of fluids to get me over the hump one time and after that I was good. Just know that is an option. I called my clinic and told them my urine was dark and they made an appointment right away. It wasn’t a big deal at all and it fixed me right up. 😂

Try different drinks, different temps. I can drink Decaf coffee early, I struggle with Water.

plus - ALL fluids count. Protein Shakes, etc.

Sip, always have a liquid in eyesight and reach, sip, drink a variety of liquids, sip, ice chips or sugar-free ice pops, sip.

If you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

Some people go to the extreme and set alarms to remind them to drink. I don't go to that extent. Some people have a favorite glass, bottle, mug, etc that encourages them to drink more.

If your urine is really dark, you should see a doctor because there might be something else going on. Sometimes weight loss and a drastic reduction in calories can be dangerous for people with kidney disease.

Try different temperatures until you find what your new body likes. I'm still pre-op, but I'm practicing tiny sips for post-op. I find I can drink a lot more Water if it's chilled but not ice-cold. Try room temperature and warm, too. Good luck!

Try to drink more. Make it your fulltime job to be constantly sipping. The first day I could only drink about 600 ml, but everyday I could drink about 300 more. I didn’t try to eat or get my Protein in the first few days. Liquid is far more important the first few days. You don’t want to end up dehydrated back in the hospital. Also I noticed that things like homemade broth went down super smooth. So maybe try that, or some tea?
When I could reach 1200 ml, I started adding Protein Shakes (for me this was day 5 I think). About 1 week post op I noticed I could take larger sips and that made getting my fluids and my protein in a lot easier. Nowadays (3 weeks post op) I aim for 1,5 to 2 liters a day. Good luck!

How much fluids - go by the colour of your pee....dark yellow need more fluids (though this can be difficult to determine with vitamins). Later in the day is a good time to check, Vitamins have probably been peed out by then.

It may take a while to get to 2ltrs a day, work your way up as per some of the suggestios already made.

It gets easier each and every day. I had to go back to hospital as an out patient, though, just to get a couple of bags of fluids to get me over the hump one time and after that I was good. Just know that is an option. I called my clinic and told them my urine was dark and they made an appointment right away. It wasn’t a big deal at all and it fixed me right up. [emoji23]
that is a really helpful tip thank you so much I might consider going for it as well now!

On 9/7/2021 at 5:22 PM, Hiccup said:

Day 4 from the surgery and my doctor has advised to consume a minimum of 1.5 to 2 litres of liquids but as much as I try to drink I'm just unable to tolerate more than about 500 to 700 millilitres a day and mu urine is starting to turn pretty dark especially at night time. any advice on what could make me tolerate more liquids such as Water?

I am 10 days post surgery and I can drink Water without any restriction at all. I drink constantly and it is really helping with the weight loss. I am down over 12 pounds since the surgery day and that does not include the 6 pounds of fluids I took on while in the hospital, so 18 pounds since discharge. I consume 600-700 calories a day and about 90 ounces of water minimum. I walk for 45 minutes a day on most days, sometimes in 2 different sessions. I am now down over 34 pounds since starting the preop diet. Follow the instructions to a T and it will really kick in.