Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining awhile Pre op

I was wondering if anyone else found themselves gaining weight during the preop process. My last appointment was a month ago and it’s been a stressful month for me and I stress ate. I have an appointment in a week and a half and I’m honestly pretty much crash dieting to try and be just what I was at my last appointment. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I didn’t realize how much I had gained and I’m glad I got on the scale. Uggh. (I know I need to learn some new coping skills going forward.) just wondering if anyone else gained during the pre op process. I’m disappointed in myself. I feel like I should have my head in the game but I had extended family members test positive for covid, my husband just put in his notice at work, I’m worried about so many things and it got the best of me and I stress ate. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think by the time of my appointment I’ll be the same (ish) as I was last time but I’m worried it will be embarrassing to go and not lose. Wondering if I’m not the only person who is having a hard time in this area. Thanks for listening.

Edited by Jen-ny
Misspelled a word!

Don't beat yourself up. And don't look at the past. That's not the direction you're headed.

2021's been terrible for me, lost my mom early in the year and spent a huge chunk of time across the country eating whatever the heck I wanted and doing no exercise because it was the COVID spike and everything was closed or snowy. I gained 25 lbs. in three months. And I didn't do anything about it until I started seriously looking at this in July, and guess what? I'm down 22 of those 25 lbs.

Get yourself the help you know you need with stress management and stress eating, and give yourself some grace. Sure, you gained some. But now you're on it. And it will come off!

Yes, I've gained during pre-op. Seems like every time I manage to lose three pounds, I also manage to put at least two of them right back on, even with exercise, careful logging, and a calorie deficit. Frustrating, sure, but I'd rather lose-three-gain-two than lose-three-gain-four, which I've also done.

Edited by FutureSylph
clarification

I lost during the actual pre-op diet, but I gained during my last couple months of my medically managed diet. Part of it was food funerals.

This happened to me. I decided to change the practice I was going with right at the beginning of COVID. When I submitted the paperwork, I was one weight (my early pandemic, too anxious to eat low). Flash forward to my first surgeon consult which was 4 months later (thanks COVID) I was 10 lbs heavier - my early pandemic anxiety and inability to eat had gone out the window and I regained the 5 lbs I lost due to stress plus another pandemic fifteen. In the end I wound up around 20 lbs heavier than when I submitted the paperwork originally.

In the end, it didn't affect anything but I was self pay and not at the mercy of an insurance company. It probably would have been different if I wasn't self pay. My surgeon did have me attend more nutrition sessions, but they were useful so I didn't mind at all.

I'll also add that my lack of success before surgery didn't affect how I did with the pre-op diet and now post surgery. For someone who was having so much trouble during the process, once I had my date and had to start my pre-op diet, I was 100% all in and super careful about everything. I wound up losing 11 lbs in the two weeks before surgery.

Do your best - it's all you can do. These are extremely difficult times we are living in.

17 hours ago, Jen-ny said:

I was wondering if anyone else found themselves gaining weight during the preop process. My last appointment was a month ago and it’s been a stressful month for me and I stress ate. I have an appointment in a week and a half and I’m honestly pretty much crash dieting to try and be just what I was at my last appointment. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I didn’t realize how much I had gained and I’m glad I got on the scale. Uggh. (I know I need to learn some new coping skills going forward.) just wondering if anyone else gained during the pre op process. I’m disappointed in myself. I feel like I should have my head in the game but I had extended family members test positive for covid, my husband just put in his notice at work, I’m worried about so many things and it got the best of me and I stress ate. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think by the time of my appointment I’ll be the same (ish) as I was last time but I’m worried it will be embarrassing to go and not lose. Wondering if I’m not the only person who is having a hard time in this area. Thanks for listening.

I gained 8 pounds between my last nutritionist appointment and when I Started the pre-op diet. I was stressed and felt like a failure. Since I went on the liquid diet I have lost 23 pounds. I still wasn't at the 'goal weight' the nutritionist set for me pre op but when I went to the Surgeon for my last appointment pre surgery on Friday, he didn't mention it. My surgery is tomorrow. Good luck!