Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I had surgery the 18th of Aug and I have so many regrets, I should've never went through with it. I take 2 bites and I'm sick as a dog for hours... does it ever get better? I have been so depressed from all the sickness. [emoji19] I am still on pureed stage but take 2 small bites and I'm done then I don't eat anymore because I'm too sick.

Sent from my SM-N976U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery was a bit more than months ago. I am pretty much back to normal eating now, though not with sugar and fat. When I was 4 weeks past surgery, I could only tolerate about 4 ounces of food. Now I'm up to almost 8 ounces, even a bit more if the foods are mostly liquids like cottage cheese and pineapple.

I was never quite as bad as you are, though. Can you tolerate Protein Drinks? In my early days they were a mainstay of my diet. Staying hydrated is also important.

Lots of us have regret the 1st month. Give it time, it will get better. You have just put your body through a major shock! Just take it easy & slow down your eating. Take one bite, wait 10-15 min then take another. In a couple of days shorten the time between bites. You’ll get there.

My surgery was a bit more than months ago. I am pretty much back to normal eating now, though not with sugar and fat. When I was 4 weeks past surgery, I could only tolerate about 4 ounces of food. Now I'm up to almost 8 ounces, even a bit more if the foods are mostly liquids like cottage cheese and pineapple.< br> I was never quite as bad as you are, though. Can you tolerate Protein Drinks? In my early days they were a mainstay of my diet. Staying hydrated is also important.
Yeah Protein drinks I can get down but feel terrible afterwards. It's awful. Thanks!

I’m 1 year out and it was the best decision of my life. Give your body time to heal and adjust things will get better. Over time food will be more tolerable and you will feel better. Hang in there you already taken the leap now fly! 🦅

5 hours ago, GeminiA said:

Hi I had surgery the 18th of Aug and I have so many regrets, I should've never went through with it. I take 2 bites and I'm sick as a dog for hours... does it ever get better? I have been so depressed from all the sickness. I am still on pureed stage but take 2 small bites and I'm done then I don't eat anymore because I'm too sick.

Are you drinking with your food? Wait a few minutes in between bites. A lot of people can't tolerate the same foods they used to or it takes a while to be able to eat them again. Try different foods and keep a food diary with reactions. It does get better! It's not easy, but so much worth it!

Only for the first weeks/months. I drink now immediately before eating - I’m Bypass 8 years on. I don’t drink while I’m eating because I don’t want to fill up on liquid. My daughter can, though, eat and drink at the same time. She’s 10 years out. To start with when my stomach was tiny I did the 30 minute before, 45 after thingy - then narrowed it to 15 mins before, and then eventually no delay after drinking. It depends on the size of your stomach…

14 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

I heard that you cannot drink within 30 minutes of eating on each end.

that was early on. At some point, I was told I could drink up until the point of eating, but I still had to wait at least 30 minutes after to drink.

15 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

I heard that you cannot drink within 30 minutes of eating on each end.

Correct, my dietician says the 30/30 rule (30min before, during and after eating) should be followed for life. To make sure you are getting in enough Protein at first, avoid getting sick and later so you don’t flush more food down your tummy during maintenance phase as that can cause overeating.

The principle of not ‘washing’ your nutrients through your stomach too quickly (and thus increasing malabsorption or decreasing time until you feel hungry again) is an important one. However drinks do not all take 30 minutes to go through your stomach. Liquids leave the stomach faster than food or Soup because there is less to break down: Plain water: 10 to 20 minutes. Can go through as fast as 5 minutes on a completely empty stomach. Simple liquids (clear juices, tea, sodas): 20 to 40 minutes. Thick soup can take hours… As long as you are prioritising Protein and healthy foods, once you are a surgery ‘veteran’ (so some way down the line) and your stomach has expanded, you should not always have to wait 30 minutes after drinking before eating, especially if it’s Water.

GeminiA, I am so glad to read about your experiences. I had surgery on Monday, August 30, and since I had surgery in the morning I had much of the day to get used to my new situation. First, this was a conversion from sleeve to bypass, I initially had the sleeve in February of 2014 after illness left me obese. In October of 2018, I was forced to stop working due to continuous, severe pain on my left side which was found to be due to CRPS, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I required multiple pain and neurological meds, in addition to different types of injections which had little to no impact on my pain. With the pain and inability to do anything that involved my hands, I became depressed, gained weight and required conversion surgery. When I had gastric sleeve surgery, there were no post-op issues out of the ordinary. I was also able to keep the weight off until after I became ill and told I could never work again. Anyway I digress, on August 31, I went home, exercised a little, sipped 45 grams of Protein, sipped Water and took my medication. On September 1, only able to sip 30 grams protein, little water and some pain and discomfort. On September 3, abdominal aches and pain are worse and involuntary vomiting begins, and only able to sip water all day with a little broth. On September 4th, unable to sip cold or room temperature water without excruciating pain. In addition, my CRPS pain is off due to med schedule being off. At this point I am praying. I cannot drink anything without more pain and vomiting, including my meds. By the afternoon of September 4th, I started heating my liquids to see if temperature was the issue, and it was. I was able to sip hot liquids, harder to take pills but doable! Today, I am able to drink cooler liquids, no longer need to boil everything. Thus, the pain of September 3 and 4th were so severe, that I too regretted having this surgery until I figured out another way to resolve the issue of vomiting and pain. If we continue to read these foums, they can be helpful.

In the early days of surgery you will not be able to eat much at one time. Take it slow. If you are having pain, vomiting or any other concerns you are best to talk to your bariatric team. Complications can occur and you want to rule them out. Just be patient and do not stress yourself out over it. Try to sip Water through the day, and focus on getting in your Protein, even if it just a few sips of a Protein Drink. You will make it. It will get easier.

Edited by WendyO

I am 5 weeks post op and have had zero side effects other than pain if I eat too much or too fast. I also have not lost a single pound in 2 weeks. I'm feeling very discouraged and wish I had never put my body through this because I'm having no results.

No regrets. Coming up on 6 weeks post op. No gerd from my vsg after the revision to bypass. Weight loss satisfactory. Equivalent to the sleeve. I just broke a one week stall, and dropped another 1.8 lbs.

What is interesting is I had heard horror stories about "never trust a fart" lol and bowel problems. I almost decided against it but surgeon said I had to fix my gerd... But maybe cause I no longer have severe gerd, everything is literally normal. I feel no difference than before any of my WLS except I get full after a few bites.

Having said that, I am early on and hope this positive trend of health continues. I can handle stalls and working to get the weight off but am always scared of leaks and other serious complications down the road.

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Edited by Tomo
typo