Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sent one of my doctors a snippy note

I have a whole coterie of doctors at this point, as I'm sure many of us do, to fix the various systems.

One of them makes me take my shoes and socks off at every appointment so he can poke my feet to see if I can feel the poke. It drives me insane. He insists I must be at least pre-diabetic because I'm so fat, and assumes that I've just gone off and "put a bandaid on my poor diet" for a while to pass his blood glucose screenings. He also insists I tell my primary care physician that I need to be on statins (presumably also because I'm fat). When I point out my cholesterol is just fine, he comes up with some "new fact" or other; the latest was there is something wrong with the SHAPE of my fat cells or some such b0ll0cks.

Well... as part of my pre-op testing, the surgeon pulled my lipids and blood glucose. Lipids were in the bottom half of the normal range (142 total, HDL 53, LDL 67, triglycerides 94, so right exactly where they needed to be), and my A1c is 5.2.

I printed a copy of the results from MyChart and mailed them to the offending MD with a polite but passive-aggressive note. Childish? Perhaps. But cathartic. I cannot wait until they can't use my weight as an excuse for being trash people.

I know the easiest thing to do is get a new doctor but I'm the type that would hang in there with him long enough for him to see my success with weight loss and then dump him. I don't think what you did is childish at all. If you don't advocate for yourself no one else will.

Yah that’s garbage (the doctor’s behavior not your note, the note is well deserved). I’d have him put all that in writing and forward that to your governing medical board for review. At the very least if he has a pattern of this kind of behavior your report will help others who have reported similar.

Good for you for standing up for yourself! These doctors have no right to treat people that way! I went through much of the same treatment, and I as do most of us who have been overweight or obese, and it's not OK!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Unfortunately he's one of the only ones in my insurance for that speciality.

That said, he treats one of my co-morbidities, so I am really looking forward to the day I get to tanz into his office and tell him I don't need him anymore.

Yeah, I had one like that, too - he was continually frustrated that I wasn't diabetic or insulin resistant despite being morbidly obese. He also was always promoting the latest fad diet highlighted in the local media (different one each time.) I think that this is a subset of those docs whose stock answer to any problem you have is "if you'll just lose some weight, this won't be a problem..." They don't seem to like the question "what do you tell your normal weight patients who have this problem?" He also didn't like the idea of WLS, preferring to use off label diabetic drugs for weight loss (as long as you take them, then the weight comes back...) and if needed after that, a lap band. Thankfully, I didn't need to pay any attention to any of his advice outside his rather narrow circle of competence.