Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep 💤 improvement address WLS

Some context. I struggle with insomnia (I take lunesta and magnesium) sleep apnea (using my cpap) and because of diabetes I wake up from 3 to 5 times a night for a bathroom break. Lunesta and Magnesium are my combo to get at least 3 hours of continuous sleep. I know that sleep apnea improves after surgery. How about insomnia and getting up at night do to diabetes? Has anyone else experience any improvement with this?

I don't have diabetes but I still have to get up a lot to pee. I have heard it gets better as you weigh less because your body isn't putting so much weight on your bladder. I don't know if this will be true for you.

There are other things that cause you to have to pee: artificial sweeteners, caffeine, coffee, tea, etc are all bladder irritants and can cause you to have to get up a lot to pee. Also being anxious.

I am no longer diabetic so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I always used to get up at least once in the night to go. With your question, I just realized that I haven't done that for months!

42 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I don't have diabetes but I still have to get up a lot to pee. I have heard it gets better as you weigh less because your body isn't putting so much weight on your bladder. I don't know if this will be true for you.

There are other things that cause you to have to pee: artificial sweeteners, caffeine, coffee, tea, etc are all bladder irritants and can cause you to have to get up a lot to pee. Also being anxious.

@lizonaplane Yeah my doctor just told that is my body act works even had my urologist look at it and no issues with my prostate I know that is a huge factor specially for men over 40. I am a coffee head, but I usually stop my last cop before 3 pm. I will just have to wait and see how is turns out for me. And congratulations your on your upcoming surgery.

5 minutes ago, njlimmer said:

I am no longer diabetic so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I always used to get up at least once in the night to go. With your question, I just realized that I haven't done that for months!

@njlimmer that is all I am hoping for at least to get a restful and continuous sleep more than 6 hours 😴😴😴🥱🥱🥱.

I am not diabetic but I have to take oxybutinin for excessive sweating which is actually an incontinence medication and decreased sweating is a side effect. Anyways, since I started it i noticed that I do not get up to go pee nearly as many times a night (or during the day for that matter). Maybe your doctor would consider you trying that if you need it to get better sleep. Not sure if it works for men too??

Edited by ShoppGirl

Symptoms of diabetes can include polyuria (frequent urination) and nocturia (nighttime urination). With sleep apnea, nocturia is often present as as well. So, if your apnea and diabetes resolve, you may very well not experience nocturia in the future.

I wasn’t a great sleeper averaging about 5 hours a night but would have odd nights where I would get only an hour or two or none at all. After surgery I started to sleep a lot better & average 7-8hrs a night. It’s wonderful. Not sleeping well though lately not sure why but that dang bird that starts twittering hours before dawn (sparrow fart) is pissing me off as is the guy across the road who leaves for work at dawn & needs to get his car fixed - it’s not supposed to grind & screech like that mate!!

I still pee a lot a night. Never a diabetic or pre diabetic just drank a lot of Water. Used to drink most in the afternoon & night because I’d get too busy at work. Now I drink all day & night so peeing a lot is to be expected.

Just a thought but have you had your melatonin levels checked? Low levels can cause sleep issues.

4 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I am not diabetic but I have to take oxybutinin for excessive sweating which is actually an incontinence medication and decreased sweating is a side effect. Anyways, since I started it i noticed that I do not get up to go pee nearly as many times a night (or during the day for that matter). Maybe your doctor would consider you trying that if you need it to get better sleep. Not sure if it works for men too??

@ShoppGirl we did tried some sort of medication that helps but it did not work for me

3 hours ago, Elidh said:

Symptoms of diabetes can include polyuria (frequent urination) and nocturia (nighttime urination). With sleep apnea, nocturia is often present as as well. So, if your apnea and diabetes resolve, you may very well not experience nocturia in the future.

@Elidh that is what I am hoping for as the result of the surgery

3 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I wasn’t a great sleeper averaging about 5 hours a night but would have odd nights where I would get only an hour or two or none at all. After surgery I started to sleep a lot better & average 7-8hrs a night. It’s wonderful. Not sleeping well though lately not sure why but that dang bird that starts twittering hours before dawn (sparrow fart) is pissing me off as is the guy across the road who leaves for work at dawn & needs to get his car fixed - it’s not supposed to grind & screech like that mate!!

I still pee a lot a night. Never a diabetic or pre diabetic just drank a lot of Water. Used to drink most in the afternoon & night because I’d get too busy at work. Now I drink all day & night so peeing a lot is to be expected.

Just a thought but have you had your melatonin levels checked? Low levels can cause sleep issues.

@Arabesque yes we checked that too. They were with in normal levels.

I used to be the most restless sleeper ever. I would wake up and change positions multiple times in my bed. I would get up to go pee. I would have a hard time falling asleep. I've experienced all of these things as far back as I can remember probably from age 7 or 8.

Ever since I've had surgery, I have been sleeping so soundly for 7 and sometimes 8 hours in a row. Previously I was a light sleeper and any small sound would wake me up. The other night a mouse trap went off in the kitchen just across from my bedroom and I didn't even hear it. My Garmin says I'm getting 3 hours plus of deep sleep some nights! I have no idea why this is different. I don't think I had sleep apnea before, so I think it might have to do with the reduced amount of sugar that I eat. Or maybe it's something else. All I know is it's really nice to be a normal sleeper now after so many years of having seriously disordered sleep. I hope it helps you as well!

I also take Magnesium daily and Lunesta at bed time. I also take my hypertension drug, Losartan, at bedtime. I use a CPAP with a pressure of 13.

I have a script for Trazadone also. I only take the Trazadone if I have not fallen asleep within 90 minutes of taking the Lunesta, perhaps twice a month. Before I started drinking 64 oz of Water daily, I didn't wake up to pee. Now I wake at 3 a.m., 5 a.m. but immediately go back to sleep. As long as I can fall asleep again I don't mind early waking.

14 hours ago, Arabesque said:

. Not sleeping well though lately not sure why but that dang bird that starts twittering hours before dawn (sparrow fart) is pissing me off

The bird maybe nesting. This happened to me a couple of months ago, birds singing at night. I was super annoyed. Then I found a little nest with eggs in my hanging fern 😂

I have patterns of insomnia every few months. No clue why and a sleep study didn’t reveal anything useful (No diabetes either).

I recently started using magnesium oil instead of pill form and I’ve been told that now I don’t wake at every little noise.