Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your height, pre surgery weight and your 6 month post op weight?

Hey guys I had surgery March 3rd 2021. I am literally 2 days shy of 6 months and I am livid. I eat healthy, drink Water all day, exercise everyday one hour and I didn’t hit my second weight loss goal and I doubt I will by my 6 month mark. I am 5’4 my pre surgery weight was 268 and I’m now 173. My overall goal is 145. I have hit several stalls month 4 and 5 not sure why. What are your stats and have you hit any stalls? When did your weightloss slow down what did you do to get the pounds back to dropping. My dr is happy with my weightloss but I am devastated by the slow process.

When I STARTED the process for WLS I was 389 pounds (in 2019). My highest recorded weight ever was 392 pounds (in 2017). My weight on the day of surgery was 321 pounds. At 6 months post-op I was 237 pounds. I reached my goal weight at 18 months 1 day post op and I'm down an extra two pounds passed that so far. I started having stalls 3 months post op and have had them every single month since. I'm currently in one right now, as a matter of fact lol (17 day stall so far).

27 minutes ago, Chantrella said:

my pre surgery weight was 268 and I’m now 173. . . I am devastated by the slow process.

You've lost 95 pounds in six months and you think that's slow? How much were you expecting to lose by now? I'm not trying to be snotty; I'm seriously asking why you're devastated rather than thrilled.

2 minutes ago, FutureSylph said:

You've lost 95 pounds in six months and you think that's slow? How much were you expecting to lose by now? I'm not trying to be snotty; I'm seriously asking why you're devastated rather than thrilled.

I wanted to hit my second target weight. I’ll be thrilled when I’m no longer overweight. I hit so many stalls. I definitely didn’t think I would be 145 in 6 months, but I would’ve hoped I would be 170. I know it’s just 3 pounds, but it’s like my body is holding on to these three pounds for dear life!

30 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

When I STARTED the process for WLS I was 389 pounds (in 2019). My highest recorded weight ever was 392 pounds (in 2017). My weight on the day of surgery was 321 pounds. At 6 months post-op I was 237 pounds. I reached my goal weight at 18 months 1 day post op and I'm down an extra two pounds passed that so far. I started having stalls 3 months post op and have had them every single month since. I'm currently in one right now, as a matter of fact lol (17 day stall so far).

Thank you so much! The stalls really had me discouraged. Congratulations on your achievements!

3 minutes ago, Chantrella said:

I know it’s just 3 pounds, but it’s like my body is holding on to these three pounds for dear life!

Wish I had a trick to help, but I'm a stall-and-whoosh loser, too. Here's wishing you a good three-pound whoosh soon!

Wow - you’ve done well! I was 200# at surgery (VSG). I’m 5’4”. Surgery was on July 9, 2020. At 6 months I was 162# (38# loss). Today I am almost 14 mos. post-op and I am 149#. In recent months, I maybe lose 1# a month, and at this rate, it could take another year for me to get to goal, but I am of good cheer and stick to my new eating habits. Hang in there!

You've lost almost 100 lbs. in 6 months, and if your profile is correct, 13 lbs. from your goal of 160 lbs. By the six month mark, the average lost 30 to 40% excess weight... I would be ecstatic. Stalls are frustrating but looking at the whole picture, I would say you're doing better than the average.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

You've lost almost 100 lbs. in 6 months, and if your profile is correct, 13 lbs. from your goal of 160 lbs. By the six month mark, the average lost 30 to 40% excess weight... I would be ecstatic. Stalls are frustrating but looking at the whole picture, I would say you're doing better than the average.

That was my pre surgery goal, but my new goal is 145. Thank you for your encouragement.

You’ve lost almost 100lbs in 6 months @Chantrella. This is really great. Congratulations! (I’m 5’3” & lost about 70lbs in 6 months. My surgeon, dietician, GP & I were ecstatic.) If you were expecting more, I think your expectations were too high. (Weight loss programs, weight loss miracle cure advertisements, social media, etc. give us false & unrealistic expectations. I saw an ad yesterday that said you could lose something like 30lbs in a week taking some tablet - what a load of $*#@$&#&.)

We don’t continue to lose at the same rate as those first heady & exciting weeks of the pre & post surgical diets. Our weight loss slows as we progress. Even those on My 600lb Life see a reduction in the amount they lose as they progress. Sure they lose 50+lbs a month to begin, but they slow down to 25lbs a month, then 15lbs, etc. And they only started out losing at that high rate because they were 600+lbs. As we are able to eat more the calories we’re consuming increase & we get closer to the point where the calories we consume equal the calories our body needs to burn to function & when weight loss dies not occur (maintenance).

I’d say everyone experiences at least one stall in some form. I had two but some have more than that. It just depends on how your body manages the weight loss changes.

Celebrate you pound your lose. You’re doing great.

Edited by Arabesque

I think you need to reset your expectations. You've done MUCH better than most of us. It sounds like you're very successful!

stalls are a common "feature" of weight loss. When you hit one, just stay the course and stay off the scale for a few days. As long as you're following your program, they'll eventually break and you'll be on your way again. We've all been there....

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I think you need to reset your expectations. You've done MUCH better than most of us. It sounds like you're very successful!

stalls are a common "feature" of weight loss. When you hit one, just stay the course and stay off the scale for a few days. As long as you're following your program, they'll eventually break and you'll be on your way again. We've all been there....

Thank you I definitely need to stay off the scale for a few days!

I was a lower BMI to start. I am 5’8” and my pre op weight was 235, surgery weight 220 and current weight is 182. My surgery was March 9th so I have only lost 53 pounds in the same amount of time as you (38 post surgery) I think you are doing great.

95 pounds in 6 months makes you a bariatric rock star! You're not just doing "okay", you're crushing it! Recalibrate your expectations and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Getting down to goal is hard, those last few pounds definitely fight you, but it will happen if you stick with it. It took me almost 2 years to get to my final goal, but it happened! Congratulations, you're a success story!

On 9/3/2021 at 5:53 AM, Chantrella said:

Thank you I definitely need to stay off the scale for a few days!

A couple of weeks even.

You are doing great. Don't let unrealistic expectations be your undoing.