Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food addiction concerns

I am a food addict. I am also depressed. Is it a terrible idea for a sugar addict to receive gastric sleeve surgery? I have done OA before and am considering that as a good support group. Can any other food addicts share their experience with post-op recovery and missing the feeling they had from their food items of choice? I am seeking therapy help and support groups for this.

I've come to realize that I am also a sugar/food addict. I've read a ton of books, some of which I will share with you. OA, a 12-step program, is an excellent support group. I haven't joined OA but I know its out there and available to me.

I had WLS in 1990, received no nutrition guidance, and was pretty much left to my own devices. I lost weight during the post-op honeymoon, but as time passed I could eat more...and I did! I regained every pound I had lost and returned to my original set point, where it stayed for the next 25 years despite a variety of weight loss program. I could never keep lost weight off.

I only recently learned that my RNY can be revised. I wasted a lot of time, but I'm going to give it another shot. This time I have lots more information at my fingertips.

Pre-operatively I have sworn off sugar, flour, wheat, rice, starchy vegetables, and processed foods. The first couple of weeks were hard but now I rarely get cravings or head hunger. I've lost 43 lbs. since the first of April. I know that abstention is the only way to prevail over addiction. I intend to continue with this post-operatively also.

Since you already know you are a food addict, I recommend the following:

1. Food Junkies: Recovery from Food Addiction, by Vera Talman
  2. Weight Loss Surgery Does Not Treat Food Addiction, by Connie Stapleton

3. Why Diets Fail (because youʼre addicted to sugar), by Nicole Avena & John Talbott

4. Baratric Surgery & Food Addiction, by Philip Werdell (written for the clinician, but I found it valuable}

5. You might find Kay Sheppard's books relevant, since she advocates 12-step programs: Food Addiction: The Body Knows and From The First Bite: A Complete Guide to Recovery

One more book that I highly recommend is The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients, by Colleen Cook. I've also discovered that there a plethora of Bariatric Cookbooks now. My favorite is The Bariatric Guide and Cookbook, by Matthew Weiner.

489016627_SuccessHabits.jpg.389419e21af05cd0a4c7071e1df2f6bd.jpg

Bariatric Guide+ Cookbook.jpg

Edited by Sunnyway

Wow. Thanks, Sunnyway! I appreciate the comprehensive list of books. I’ve got “Weight Loss Surgery Does Not Treat food Addiction” in my Amazon cart. I will check out “The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients”. I am really hoping it won’t say cooking for myself. I’m single and live alone. It looks like there are some bariatric food delivery services. Thank-you again.

I am a sugar addict. I had the same concern as you do, and I told my doctor I would prefer the gastric bypass because I would have dumping syndrome keeping me accountable. He said he thought that the hormonal changes that occur with the sleeve would be enough for me, and I decided to trust him. I am only 7 weeks out but so far I don't have those same sort of cravings for sweets like I did before. They still sound good but I don't have this obsessive drive to go out at 10:00 at night while my children are sleeping to buy a candy bar (I never did it but I was tempted to).

I think if bypass is available, you may want to do that as it will give you an extra level of protection against the sugar cravings, but I can say that the sleeve definitely helps.

5 hours ago, Sunnyway said:

I've come to realize that I am also a sugar/food addict. I've read a ton of books, some of which I will share with you. OA, a 12-step program, is an excellent support group. I haven't joined OA but I know its out there and available to me.

I had WLS in 1990, received no nutrition guidance, and was pretty much left to my own devices. I lost weight during the post-op honeymoon, but as time passed I could eat more...and I did! I regained every pound I had lost and returned to my original set point, where it stayed for the next 25 years despite a variety of weight loss program. I could never keep lost weight off.

I only recently learned that my RNY can be revised. I wasted a lot of time, but I'm going to give it another shot. This time I have lots more information at my fingertips.

Pre-operatively I have sworn off sugar, flour, wheat, rice, starchy vegetables, and processed foods. The first couple of weeks were hard but now I rarely get cravings or head hunger. I've lost 43 lbs. since the first of April. I know that abstention is the only way to prevail over addiction. I intend to continue with this post-operatively also.

Since you already know you are a food addict, I recommend the following:

1. Food Junkies: Recovery from food Addiction, by Vera Talman
  2. Weight Loss Surgery Does Not Treat Food Addiction, by Connie Stapleton

3. Why Diets Fail (because youʼre addicted to sugar), by Nicole Avena & John Talbott

4. Baratric Surgery & Food Addiction, by Philip Werdell (written for the clinician, but I found it valuable}

5. You might find Kay Sheppard's books relevant, since she advocates 12-step programs: Food Addiction: The Body Knows and From The First Bite: A Complete Guide to Recovery

One more book that I highly recommend is The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients, by Colleen Cook. I've also discovered that there a plethora of Bariatric Cookbooks now. My favorite is The Bariatric Guide and Cookbook, by Matthew Weiner.

489016627_SuccessHabits.jpg.389419e21af05cd0a4c7071e1df2f6bd.jpg

Bariatric Guide+ Cookbook.jpg

@Sunnyway what a great repertoire of books and resources. They do have OA meetings that focus on Bariatric Support.

3 hours ago, Maribelle76 said:

I am a sugar addict. I had the same concern as you do, and I told my doctor I would prefer the gastric bypass because I would have dumping syndrome keeping me accountable. He said he thought that the hormonal changes that occur with the sleeve would be enough for me, and I decided to trust him. I am only 7 weeks out but so far I don't have those same sort of cravings for sweets like I did before. They still sound good but I don't have this obsessive drive to go out at 10:00 at night while my children are sleeping to buy a candy bar (I never did it but I was tempted to).

I think if bypass is available, you may want to do that as it will give you an extra level of protection against the sugar cravings, but I can say that the sleeve definitely helps.

Did you find it a challenge to eat only liquids? I am worried that if there isn't some instant change I'll want solids to fill the void.

1 hour ago, Bloodhound said:

Did you find it a challenge to eat only liquids? I am worried that if there isn't some instant change I'll want solids to fill the void.

I was on only liquids for my preop diet (2 weeks) and for two months post-op. I got so sick of all of the Protein Drinks because they were so sweet. And I admittedly have a sweet tooth, but by the time I could have non-clear liquids, I was 100% done with sweet drinks. I rejoiced when I was allowed to have milk!

I don't completely understand what you mean about an instant change. But for me, it was mind over matter. I knew that if I ate solids before my stomach healed completely, I would be putting back my recovery and potentially damaging my body even worse. I didn't want to risk it so I stringently kept to my post-op liquid diet.

So I am still pre-op but have put myself on a pre-op diet (not required, but in mind a good idea). The Protein drinks are ridiculously sweet... but the result of them is that when I took my daughter out for ice cream tonight (fulfilling a promise), I had a bite and was done. Like... WHO AM I EVEN.

10 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

I heard the cravings come back at about a year. Have you heard anything to this contrary?

most people (not all - but most) lose their sense of hunger for a few months - for some up to a year - but cravings are different than hunger. They're mental rather than physical. You'll need to get a handle on that - maybe work with a therapist - because unfortunely, surgery won't fix that since they're not a physical sensation.

I heard the cravings come back at about a year. Have you heard anything to this contrary?

I had a sugar addiction! Some days I ate no regular food...just sugar! Now I treat sugar like an alcoholic treats alcohol. When someone tries to get me to have "just a bite" I simply say "no thank you." If they say "oh, but it's so good" I say "yes, I'm sure it is but I know what all that sugar does to me and I don't want to go there." I have never had a dumping episode because I am very careful. I do eat bananas, which are higher in sugar but they haven't bothered me.

I actually don't crave sugar anymore and sometimes find things too sweet. I used to put a whole pack of splenda or truvia in my coffee, after surgery could only tolerate a small sprinkle and now don't use any.

I'm almost 3 yrs post op.

6 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

So I am still pre-op but have put myself on a pre-op diet (not required, but in mind a good idea). The Protein Drinks are ridiculously sweet... but the result of them is that when I took my daughter out for ice cream tonight (fulfilling a promise), I had a bite and was done. Like... WHO AM I EVEN.

I did the same thing preop. After I attended the required bariatric seminar I changed everything then. I started living the bariatric lifestyle then. I figured I had a few months to "practice" before I had to do it for real. I cut out carbonated drinks, sugar and started trying out different Protein Shakes. It was 5 months before I actually had surgery but I was pretty well prepared by then.

Dilute your Protein shakes with some milk if they are too sweet and see if that helps. Good luck with your journey!

No. Before I even met with the bariatric clinic to inquire about revision I did a two-week liquid diet just to see if I could do it. (It turns out that my clinic doesn't use that technique for liver reduction.) liquid Protein Shakes and powders are very filling. They are not like the old "Slender" shakes in a can. I would drink them and ask "Where is the rest ov my lunch? "

No, I'm quite satisfied drinking Protein shakes, supplemented with broth, sugar-free Jello and sugar-free Popsicles. I won't say it was totally easy, but it was not as hard as I expected and I lost over 10 pounds during those two weeks.

Do a practice run. Try it now for about four days just to see how it goes for you.

16 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

Wow. Thanks, Sunnyway! I appreciate the comprehensive list of books. I’ve got “Weight Loss Surgery Does Not Treat food Addiction” in my Amazon cart. I will check out “The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients”. I am really hoping it won’t say cooking for myself. I’m single and live alone. It looks like there are some bariatric food delivery services.  Thank-you again.

Yes, you should learn to cook for yourself. There are many bariatric cookbooks with simple recipes. Start with Soups. Vegetable soups are so easy. I'll give you a recipe in a moment.

My 70 year old brother has been learning how to cook and BAKE!. Amazing! I never thought he could do it. He's been doing a great job searching the internet for recipes and exchanging recipes with friends. You can do it too.

Now, here is the Weight Loss Magic Soup recipe, only 57 cal per cup. It's filling and delicious.

32 oz chicken stock

3 cups V-8 juice (you can use low-sodium V8 or even Tomato juice, homemade or store bought)

2 cans Italian diced tomatoes

1 small onion

2 cloves minced garlic

1 package sliced mushrooms

3 carrots, peeled and sliced

1 zucchini, diced

1 yellow squash, diced

2 cups fresh or frozen green Beans

1 can kidney Beans, drained and rinsed

3-4 cups shredded cabbage

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Salt and Pepper, to taste

In a large frying pan sprayed with cooking spray, sauté garlic, onions, carrots, and mushrooms for about 5 minutes.

In a large crockpot, combine sautéed garlic and vegetables with the remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are cooked. (I have made this in a large stock pot on the stove instead of in a crock pot, simmering on medium heat.)

This makes a large batch of Soup. If you would like to freeze portions of it to use later, undercook the vegetables just a little. Pour the soup into freezer Ziplock bags and let as much air out as you can. Lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once the soup is frozen flat, it is easy to layer in your freezer and won't take up much room. To thaw, place the bag in the fridge for 24 hours and then reheat.

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/weight-loss-magic-soup/

13 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

After a while (usually 6-18 months), the honeymoon period ends and you can eat more AND YOU CAN RETURN TO YOUR OLD BAD EATING HABITS. You need to be prepared for this. During your pre-op and post-op honeymoon you MUST learn a new way of eating. For a sugar addict, that means abstention. If you return to your own eating habits you can and will regain weight.

Addiction cravings must be conquered with abstention. It gets easier with each passing day. Yes, we all slip from time to time, but you must start over each time. Go back and read my first post again.

Be strong! Good luck!