Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baseball size bulge where port was after removal

I had my lapband removed on August 17,2021. Now I have a baseball size bulge where the port was. I know it has been a little under two weeks but I’m really concerned this is not going away. Has anyone had this after lapband removal?

Picture? Is the wound healed?

Is it a haematoma? A swelling caused by bleeding in the area from the removal of the port damaging the area. If it is protruding it’s from the amount of blood that’s clotted. Generally they disappear but if it persists give your doctor a call.

Give your doctor a call/visit anyway to find out what it actually is.

I had my port moved from my lower left side to my upper left. Closer so the tubing isn't stretched. When they basically ripped the port out of the scar tissue (implanted 2008 repositioned 2012) I had a baseball lump. The nurse insisted it was scar tissue and to massage it in the shower. WELL it's still there and it's a hernia caused by the surgeon port removal. It's worse now that I have put on weight. I am the beginning stage of having band removed and getting bypass.

Today is May 11th, 2022. I had my band removed 6 days ago.

I have had it for 10 years (I am currently 43). I never had it filled after year 3 (I believe I only had it filled 3 times the first 1-2 years, then felt I was too restricted, losing weight too fast so I had some of the fill taken out. I am 5'4 and started out around 245 and got down to a low of 145-150. Once I had some of the fill taken out, I did gain 15-20 pounds. I was comfortable at the 163ish mark, was still a size 6-8.

Then, more recently (so year 8 or so, I would randomly throw up/gag in the mornings, painfully, losing appetite). So, I had it completely unfilled November 2021, gained a few more pounds (likely overate @ holidays) :) .

Anyways, today I am going for an early post-op followup (day 6 after the band removal) -- I am still in a lot of pain. The surgeon had told me that my surgery took twice as long as it should have because part of the band prongs (?) had to be DUG out from my intestines. I now have extra incisions - I was in so much pain after surgery. I needed help by my husband to go to washroom (could not go from standing to sitting on my own), was actually in tears and that was with pain medicine. That intense pain did somewhat subside a bit after day 2-3. However, I am still experiencing pretty intense pain when going from laying down to standing up. I also, similar to a poster above, feel a large hard bulge where the largest incision is (where the port used to be). The surgeon did mention some hematomas (bleeding) may develop, can be painful and should go away on their own (ugh, that sounds so awful! basically internal bleeding - scary!)

Either way, I feel like I was a guinea pig with the FDA, there was not enough long term research done yet, to really know all the risks and how very common they are with lapband. Which, yes, someone had to be the experiments, I get it.

My surgeon says he quit putting them in back in 2018. I know and understand it's elective surgery and I signed off on it --- I just wanted to share my experience and hoping the damage this band has done to my body will repair itself completely! For now, I am just glad it is OUT before it did even worse, possibly permanent damage. My suggestion (and any good bariatric doctor will tell you) - is if you've had it for 10 years, get it out. There are other options (sleeve is one), I personally am not electing to have one but to each their own -- this is just a PSA (public service announcement).

I have had it for 10 years (I am currently 43). I never had it filled after year 3 (I believe I only had it filled 3 times the first 1-2 years, then felt I was too restricted, losing weight too fast so I had some of the fill taken out. I am 5'4 and started out around 245 and got down to a low of 145-150. Once I had some of the fill taken out, I did gain 15-20 pounds. I was comfortable at the 163ish mark, was still a size 6-8.
Then, more recently (so year 8 or so, I would randomly throw up/gag in the mornings, painfully, losing appetite). So, I had it completely unfilled November 2021, gained a few more pounds (likely overate @ holidays) :) .
Anyways, today I am going for an early post-op followup (day 6 after the band removal) -- I am still in a lot of pain. The surgeon had told me that my surgery took twice as long as it should have because part of the band prongs (?) had to be DUG out from my intestines. I now have extra incisions - I was in so much pain after surgery. I needed help by my husband to go to washroom (could not go from standing to sitting on my own), was actually in tears and that was with pain medicine. That intense pain did somewhat subside a bit after day 2-3. However, I am still experiencing pretty intense pain when going from laying down to standing up. I also, similar to a poster above, feel a large hard bulge where the largest incision is (where the port used to be). The surgeon did mention some hematomas (bleeding) may develop, can be painful and should go away on their own (ugh, that sounds so awful! basically internal bleeding - scary!)
Either way, I feel like I was a guinea pig with the FDA, there was not enough long term research done yet, to really know all the risks and how very common they are with lapband. Which, yes, someone had to be the experiments, I get it.
My surgeon says he quit putting them in back in 2018. I know and understand it's elective surgery and I signed off on it --- I just wanted to share my experience and hoping the damage this band has done to my body will repair itself completely! For now, I am just glad it is OUT before it did even worse, possibly permanent damage. My suggestion (and any good bariatric doctor will tell you) - is if you've had it for 10 years, get it out. There are other options (sleeve is one), I personally am not electing to have one but to each their own -- this is just a PSA (public service announcement).

Oh wow! That's really scary! I have had my band for 20 years! I had similar issues and had a slippage early on that required a second surgery.

I am going to get it taken out next month. I was hoping the down time wouldn't be as bad as when I got it. I don't have a high threshold for pain so I'm concerned with how I'll do. I appreciate hearing about your experience and I'm glad I also made the decision to get it removed.

Do you think the issues with the band could prevent further WLS to be more challenging?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow! I'm glad you had it out. I am scared to find out if or what my band is doing inside me. I plan on removal soon as well. Sending prayers and healing prayers 🙏

16 hours ago, hollywrites2u said:

Oh wow! That's really scary! I have had my band for 20 years! I had similar issues and had a slippage early on that required a second surgery.

I am going to get it taken out next month. I was hoping the down time wouldn't be as bad as when I got it. I don't have a high threshold for pain so I'm concerned with how I'll do. I appreciate hearing about your experience and I'm glad I also made the decision to get it removed.

Do you think the issues with the band could prevent further WLS to be more challenging?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using BariatricPal mobile app

HI Holly, I'm not sure - the doctor said I would no longer qualify for any other type of WLS (sleeve/bypass) because my BMI is normal range. However, that doesn't matter, I wouldn't put myself thru anymore surgeries anyway, personal choice. I will say, I have seen quite a few posts on this forum though where people are switching from band to sleeve. I would highly recommend getting it removed. 20 years is a long time and the doctor explained to me that there were two different types of bands when they came out., One mechanism had hooks, that were designed to easily install and eventually...easily remove the band. However, over time, the hooks basically sink and bury themselves into your intestines - and the surgeon has to dig/pry them out, hence the pain. He also said in every case of his (and his partners) where the patient had the band with the hooks - he has had to extract them this way. They will not even do the bands anymore. I'm not trying to scare you - just being honest and helping get the message out of how dangerous these things can become. Take care and good luck!!!

Edited by Band Remover 2022

On 5/11/2022 at 7:27 PM, Band Remover 2022 said:

This sounds like a painful and stressful experience. I'm sorry you had to go through it.

I have a question about "hooks" and how they embedded into your intestines. The band, which goes on the upper part of the stomach, is not near the intestines. Did you surgeon say it had migrated? Can you ask them how this could have happened?

In any case, I hope by the time you read this you are feeling much better.

5 hours ago, parisshel said:

This sounds like a painful and stressful experience. I'm sorry you had to go through it.

I have a question about "hooks" and how they embedded into your intestines. The band, which goes on the upper part of the stomach, is not near the intestines. Did you surgeon say it had migrated? Can you ask them how this could have happened?

In any case, I hope by the time you read this you are feeling much better.

Hi Parisshel, it was very painful, scary and I'm just happy it's over and the band is gone and I'm still alive. The way he explained it is that when the lapband first came out, they made two different versions of it. One was made with hooks, where you can turn it easily to put it in and the theory was, if it had not slipped nor eroded, it would be just as easy to take it out. He said I did have the one with these "hooks" -- and I'm not quoting him on WHY it wound up having to be dug out - but I'm assuming because of the slippage that happened. Also, another possible contribution to this issue could be that I was not having it filled consistently because I felt it was already too restrictive and people were commenting on that I was losing too much weight. (I think some might have even questioned if I was "sick" with something). I filled it a few time in the 10 years I had it and towards the end had it loosened/filling taken out and then eventually, unfilled completely in Nov 2021--- and maybe that's when it really started to slip and all that happened to wind me up having it completely removed.

My suggestion to anyone that has one -- is, even if you are not going in to get a fill - at least still visit with your doctor and drink the barium so they can check in on the band - ask about slippage, erosion, etc. At the beginning of the big "lap band surge" before they knew a lot of long term reactions --- the doctors and surgeons would say it is "VERY RARE" that it will slip or erode. Now, they are finding out -- it is MORE common than NOT for it to erode and/or slip. So, have it checked - mine was supposed to be checked every three months. But, because I wasn't interested in having it filled, I would not follow those standards. I had a very very reputable doctor too, so, it really was my fault for not having him check in on it time to time, regardless of fills.

To address your last part, I am feeling a lot better, thank you! it has been two weeks and 2 days since the removal. I would say I was only "ok" after about a full week. I still have incision tape that needs to fall off, but all in all, worth it knowing now that it's out! I have to say, I have not gained any weight since the removal and do not see myself eating any more than I did with it in (but again, remember I wasn't filling it, and he it completely unfilled last November). Looking back, I think the one benefit I did gain from it - it gave a "kick start" on my weight loss but also forced me to realize and change my eating habits. !!

Good luck with everything!

Thanks for this additional information and I'm pleased you are on the other side of this and recovering perfectly. Totally agree on continual checks/barium swallows for those of use who still have bands. I've had mine going on 9 years now and do a barium swallow each year just to check placement, flow, etc. Like you, I no longer fill but that doesn't mean I should not check it for viability purposes.