Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Meds after Gastric Bypass

I take zoloft for antiexy. I've researched a bit on the internet and found that once you do a Gastric Bypass your psych meds will actually work differently. I wanted to know if anyone who has gone thru surgery had any experience with this. Thank you all in advance.

I haven't (I'm not any psych meds), but I've been hanging out on bariatric forums for the last seven years, and many people are on them. They sometimes have to adjust your dosage, but that's about it..

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

I haven't (I'm not any psych meds), but I've been hanging out on bariatric forums for the last seven years, and many people are on them. They sometimes have to adjust your dosage, but that's about it..

Interesting 🧐 I’ve read some studies more Anecdotal than actual data driven. But nothing better than the experience of those whom have gone thru it. I really appreciate you time in replying. Cheers!!

I take zoloft, my dosage has not adjusted at all. I've had no adverse effects or changes. I only take 50mg if it makes a difference.

Same, I take anti anxiety meds. Havent noticed a difference since the bypass, as in my anxiety is still **** lol.

1 hour ago, JDLane said:

I take zoloft, my dosage has not adjusted at all. I've had no adverse effects or changes. I only take 50mg if it makes a difference.

Thank you for your feedback @JDLane

55 minutes ago, dal101 said:

Same, I take anti anxiety meds. Havent noticed a difference since the bypass, as in my anxiety is still **** lol.

That’s funny @dal101 thank you for your feedback it helps.

4 minutes ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

I take busparine & Ativan as needed for anxiety

Sent from my U307AS using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you Lisa for your feedback it really helps

I take Prozac and Wellbutrin and my surgery did not affect my meds at all. I was also taking Xarelto and it DID affect that - I ended up getting a blood clot! So check with your doc on whether or not you can expect any changes after surgery.

2 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

I take Prozac and Wellbutrin and my surgery did not affect my meds at all. I was also taking Xarelto and it DID affect that - I ended up getting a blood clot! So check with your doc on whether or not you can expect any changes after surgery.

@Jaelzion I have a friend who takes that for his AF to avoid clots and reduce the chance of stroke. How did surgery affect you medication? Can you share? If not I totally understand. And definitely is something I am asking my doctor about prior surgery ty for the advise

9 hours ago, EsojLabina said:

I take zoloft for antiexy. I've researched a bit on the internet and found that once you do a Gastric Bypass your psych meds will actually work differently. I wanted to know if anyone who has gone thru surgery had any experience with this. Thank you all in advance.

The problem is with sustained and extended release medications, they require more time to breakdown. Zoloft is fine. Talk to the prescribing provider or a pharmacist the next time you refill.

44 minutes ago, nursesunshine said:

The problem is with sustained and extended release medications, they require more time to breakdown. Zoloft is fine. Talk to the prescribing provider or a pharmacist the next time you refill.

This is great info thank you so much @nursesunshine One of my medications is Extended Release. I will definitely talk to my surgeon on my next appointment prior surgery.

2 hours ago, EsojLabina said:

@Jaelzion I have a friend who takes that for his AF to avoid clots and reduce the chance of stroke. How did surgery affect you medication? Can you share? If not I totally understand. And definitely is something I am asking my doctor about prior surgery ty for the advise

Sure! Xarelto has to be taken with a substantial meal to be bioavailable (usable by the body). After surgery, I wasn't able to eat much in one sitting, so the Xarelto wasn't effective for me, and 7 months after my WLS, I landed in the hospital with a blood clot. The sad thing is, my hematologist knew this was a potential problem and tried to switch me to Eliquis but insurance refused to cover it. So instead they ended up paying for my hospital stay AND I'm now on Lovenox (injections) which is MUCH more expensive than the Eliquis would have been. So it didn't make dollars or sense!