Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Surgery Buddies!!

@echubbythighs I'm about a week behind you and feeling very similarly. Thankfully recovery has been mostly smooth, save for one episode of "the foamies" last week that nearly undid me. Apparently, chili is still off the table for now. I'm switching to a capsule Multivitamin next week when I run out of the chewable I have; since surgery they are disgusting and make me gag. I'm down about 18lbs since surgery, 37 total. It feels slower than I'd hoped, but I know that's a mental thing and I continue to work on my mental health/body image/self care stuff. SO MUCH of this journey is mental, it can be overwhelming. I got back on the treadmill this week, for the first time since surgery. I feel slow and unsteady, but it was good to move my body and work up a sweat. Glad you're doing well and making progress!

1 hour ago, echubbythighs said:

Checking back in w/ September Gastric sleeve buddies. I’m now 5 weeks post-op and down 25 pounds. I’ve phased myself back to a regular diet and have no issues with N/V. I get the Protein Shakes in when I can and found the Multivitamins and Calcium difficult to chew so throw them in w/ a Protein Shake and blend the hell out of it. Current weight 162. I can only tolerate small portions and find I feel miserable if I don’t stop when my body says enough. I realize more now than ever that eating the large portions was mostly mental because my mind still tells me to finish what’s on my plate. I remain regret free in my decision to have the surgery. Best of all my back pain has diminished significantly and I have more energy. I wish you all health and happiness as you continue on your weight loss journey.

You should space out your Calcium and Multivitamins because calcium will inhibit the absorption of Iron. I think 2 hours between is recommended. As far as the pills being too big, I got rid of those big calcium horse pills and now take the Bariatric Pal calcium chews which are great tasting. For the Multivitamin I take the Bariatric Advantage Solo Capsule that slides right down. I tried the chewables but they are awful tasting.

4 hours ago, echubbythighs said:

Checking back in w/ September Gastric sleeve buddies. I’m now 5 weeks post-op and down 25 pounds. I’ve phased myself back to a regular diet and have no issues with N/V. I get the Protein Shakes in when I can and found the Multivitamins and Calcium difficult to chew so throw them in w/ a Protein Shake and blend the hell out of it. Current weight 162. I can only tolerate small portions and find I feel miserable if I don’t stop when my body says enough. I realize more now than ever that eating the large portions was mostly mental because my mind still tells me to finish what’s on my plate. I remain regret free in my decision to have the surgery. Best of all my back pain has diminished significantly and I have more energy. I wish you all health and happiness as you continue on your weight loss journey.

I am five weeks and one day post-op and down 41 lbs. from surgery weight, 50 from before the pre-op diet, and 76 from my heaviest. My incisions have all healed except one that looks a little bit herniated. My surgeon said he'd look at it at my six-week appointment on Tuesday, but didn't sound overly concerned since there's no pain.

I had a slowdown (not really a stall, just a significant slowdown in weight loss) for two weeks but now appear to be back on the loss rollercoaster. My dietitian told me to start eating small portions of carbohydrates (potatoes, etc.) because apparently my system doesn't function well on protein-only. This has had the added benefit of relieving my Constipation, so I no longer need to take docusate.

I'm on about 1000 calories a day, which seemed high to me, but the dietitian pointed out that my activity level is more intense than many bariatric patients, PLUS I return to my physical job next week.

I am completely off my blood pressure medications and my blood pressure is usually around 125/70 or 125/75. Not high enough for my primary care physician to be concerned, especially since I still have weight to lose. I also am on half the dose of antidepressant I was on (and feel great), and I need to make an appointment with my sleep clinic because I think my CPAP either needs to be dialed way down, or just simply eliminated.

I am allowed to return to lifting weights (slowly) next week, so I have been running. I spent the first two weeks just walking, then did short (~100 m) jogs to get my body used to it. I am now on week 3 of Couch-to-5K and my mile time has gone down by almost four minutes since pre-op.

I am with you on the mental portions. I have been trying to train myself to be willing to throw away food rather than finish it just to be polite. I am looking for a therapist to help me through this.

I am discovering what foods fill me up and what foods "slide" through me. Today I met a friend for coffee and ordered ricotta toast. Ended up with an absolutely enormous slab of sourdough with what had to be 250 grams of ricotta on it. I ate two bites and was done, and am still full two hours later. But if I eat, say, a hamburger patty, it just goes right down.

Absolutely zero regrets. I wish I'd done this 10-15 years ago.

Hi all. I’m 3 weeks out today. I’ve been stalled for about 4 days. I’m down 18 lbs and am feeling discouraged. Anyone else stall this early?

i have never learned how to reply to specific posts, but I sent CtotheTina21 a PM.

Today I begin my 8th week, and i have been in my second stall (since the 3rd week) and have not lost any weight in a week. I'm hoping this period will pass like the third week did, but overall I was hoping to have lost more than 38 lbs (since starting pre-op) by this point.

I get my Water and Protein grams in as assigned, and always maintain the time distance between drinking and eating. So I think I'm following the rules, but am eating between 600-700 calories a day, and wonder if this is too many for my age (64) and activity (I walk or do stationary bike for 30 minutes a day).

How many calories are people eating 8 weeks after a gastric sleeve? How much daily exercise?

thanks

Edited by Amy Braun

33 minutes ago, Amy Braun said:

i have never learned how to reply to specific posts, but I sent CtotheTina21 a PM.

Today I begin my 8th week, and i have been in my second stall (since the 3rd week) and have not lost any weight in a week. I'm hoping this period will pass like the third week did, but overall I was hoping to have lost more than 38 lbs (since starting pre-op) by this point.

I get my Water and Protein grams in as assigned, and always maintain the time distance between drinking and eating. So I think I'm following the rules, but am eating between 600-700 calories a day, and wonder if this is too many for my age (64) and activity (I walk or do stationary bike for 30 minutes a day).

How many calories are people eating 8 weeks after a gastric sleeve? How much daily exercise?

thanks

There's absolutely no way 600-700 calories wouldn't lead to loss in an adult. Stalls happen! You might want—this is such perverse logic but it works for some people—to increase your calories by 100-150 just for a week. It won't be enough to put you anywhere near maintenance, but it might break the stall. I broke my 3-week stall with the help of a dietitian by adding 100 calories of carbohydrate.

To @CtotheTina - the 3-week-stall is legendary around here. It happens to most people and there are almost 20,000 posts on this site alone about it. It's your body getting used to the new normal and doing some Fluid rebalancing. It will break within a week or two, just keep following your program.

1 hour ago, CtotheTina21 said:

Hi all. I’m 3 weeks out today. I’ve been stalled for about 4 days. I’m down 18 lbs and am feeling discouraged. Anyone else stall this early?

I'll echo what others have said: the 3 week stall is REAL. There are THOUSANDS of posts here from folks who stall somewhere between week 3-6 for 1-3 weeks, sometimes more. Your body is likely rebounding from surgery and catching up with all the changes. Give it time, be patient, stay the course, follow your plan. It won't last forever, and it will happen again. Its all just part of the process. If its taxing you mentally, maybe take a week or two break from the scale. Take body measurements for a couple weeks instead, or use photos to track progress. Remember that the scale is only ONE measure of progress, other things can be just as valuable. Lastly, a TRUE stall is generally considered 3+ weeks; 4 days is absolutely nothing. You're right where you're supposed to be!

Hi all! First time posting. RnY surgery was Sept 15th and so far I'm down 40 lbs total. I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone with the stall because I have been getting so discouraged.

No issues getting Protein or Water in. I consider myself very lucky with my recovery. I haven't had any issues eating anything but eggs- which I didn't really tolerate before surgery so no big loss.

I'm excited for my journey and to meet all of you. Glad to have a support group.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

I just came back from my first work trip since surgery and I'm up 1.4 lbs. I'm disappointed but I think it's dehydration and Constipation (I brought Miralax packets with me but found I was always with people and didn't feel comfortable using them, plus I was really busy and had a hard time drinking enough). I also ate saltier food than normal. I hope I lose the weight quickly and go back to losing because I have a lot of travel coming up. I'm on the road constantly for the next 6 weeks or so.

4 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I just came back from my first work trip since surgery and I'm up 1.4 lbs. I'm disappointed but I think it's dehydration and constipation (I brought Miralax packets with me but found I was always with people and didn't feel comfortable using them, plus I was really busy and had a hard time drinking enough). I also ate saltier food than normal. I hope I lose the weight quickly and go back to losing because I have a lot of travel coming up. I'm on the road constantly for the next 6 weeks or so.

I am going on vacation in a week and am really worried about that too. I know I will be able to get exercise but the food choices worry me a little eating out of restaurants and keeping hydrated for fear of not being a bathroom available when needed.

28 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

I am going on vacation in a week and am really worried about that too. I know I will be able to get exercise but the food choices worry me a little eating out of restaurants and keeping hydrated for fear of not being a bathroom available when needed.

I ate at restaurants some of the time, but I also bought things from grocery stores like FF light Greek yogurt, hummus, veggies, and Protein Shakes. That probably helped. When I did go to restaurants, I left most of the food (that came with waiter questions - "is the food okay?" "yes, I just had surgery and I can't eat very much. It's delicious!" "Do you want to take it home?" "I would but I'm staying in a hotel and can't"). One evening my coworker and I went for sushi at a high end restaurant and shared the food she ate more than I did (a first!) and I just ate the fish, leaving the rice. It was nigiri, but I just treated it like sashimi. The server didn't say anything.

Definitely don't get dehydrated though - it will ruin your trip to end up in the ER! Most of the time there are bathrooms everywhere - grocery stores, department stores, gas stations, etc - and the more active you are, the more fluids you will need. I didn't get dehydrated, I just drank a lot less than I'm used to, which is A LOT!

3 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I just came back from my first work trip since surgery and I'm up 1.4 lbs. I'm disappointed but I think it's dehydration and constipation (I brought Miralax packets with me but found I was always with people and didn't feel comfortable using them, plus I was really busy and had a hard time drinking enough). I also ate saltier food than normal. I hope I lose the weight quickly and go back to losing because I have a lot of travel coming up. I'm on the road constantly for the next 6 weeks or so.

I am also on a work trip this week. I haven't weighed but also eating salty and not drinking as much. Here's to getting back on track.

I am having the same issues with Constipation and the bloating. I have also been drinking Miralax and trying to stay on task with the liquid intake. Also being doing a lot of walking on the treadmill to see if it helps.

16 hours ago, Aly311 said:

I am having the same issues with constipation and the bloating. I have also been drinking Miralax and trying to stay on task with the liquid intake. Also being doing a lot of walking on the treadmill to see if it helps.

Those are all good things to help! I was traveling for work last week and I didn't use the Miralax and was lax (harhar) on my Water intake and I got constipated. As soon as I got home and drank more water and started the Miralax again I had relief.

22 hours ago, Autumn58 said:

I am also on a work trip this week. I haven't weighed but also eating salty and not drinking as much. Here's to getting back on track.

I was up 1.6 lbs the first day home, but I'm down .2 from before I left on the second morning home. So, not as good as I would hope, but not terrible. Although I love trying interesting restaurants while on the road, I think I have to be a little bit more disciplined on my future trips to make healthier choices.