Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Surgery Buddies!!

Congrats on your surgery, I hope everything went well for you! I'm still struggling with gas pains and weird foamy burps..idk its weird. You have any of these symptoms?
The gas pains were horrendous but I'm fine now. The best tip I can give is that the nurses had me walking up and down and rolling my shoulders. Worked a treat to get the burps up.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Congrats!!! Everything is going well, I do have hunger pains, but I'm sticking to the script!! Protein & Water an ounce every 15 min! On the bright side already down 12lbs! How awesome is that! Fastest I've ever lost weight in my life 🤣! What about you how much have you lost?

On 9/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, NeenersNW said:

Congrats on your surgery, I hope everything went well for you! I'm still struggling with gas pains and weird foamy burps..idk its weird. You have any of these symptoms?

The gas pains are so annoying but they do get better over time. I’m four days out and definitely still have it sometimes. One thing (sorry if TMI) is that the gas pains get less bad once you have a bowel movement. It took three DAYS for that to happen and I immediately get better and had way less gas.

The “foamies” I get when I consume too fast. I forgot to sip yesterday and chugged probably 3-4 oz. of Water and was in agony for probably an hour.

The hunger pangs are the worst, it feels like my stomach is literally twisting itself like a wet washcloth. I made Protein Jello (orange sugar free Gelatin with half a scoop of whey protein isolate dissolved in the cold water used for the gelatin) for when I absolutely can’t hack the “grinding”. The big packet of Jello makes 8 portion cups and I usually eat about half a portion cup, so a whopping 8 cal. It helps a lot.

I haven’t weighed myself yet today (doing it every day for the first two weeks per doctor’s suggestion—“you’re gonna wanna see the numbers”, then weekly after that) but yesterday morning I was 9.6 down from surgery weight in three days. I know that won’t last but some of these are numbers I haven’t seen in a decade, I already had to size down in my favorite Carhartt shorts, and had to throw out the larger size chonies because they were starting to hang off me.

My blood pressure the day before surgery on two BP meds was 145/85. My PCP took me off the one with the water pill as of the day after surgery and last night when I checked, my BP was 123/68 on one med!! I am STUNNED how fast that happened. Almost like my body is like “YES let’s get this done, pitter patter!”

Energy level is coming back, but am still weak. I walk 5k every day at least and once the incisions heal and I feel like I can sweat safely I’ll start running.

Day after surgery was the absolute worst and then it’s a dramatic improvement. Already the best decision I ever made for my body. It’s really amazing to think, “This is the last time I’m ever gonna see this d**n number on that scale.”

Edited by vikingbeast

5 hours ago, BlackBeauty734 said:

Congrats!!! Everything is going well, I do have hunger pains, but I'm sticking to the script!! Protein & Water an ounce every 15 min! On the bright side already down 12lbs! How awesome is that! Fastest I've ever lost weight in my life 🤣! What about you how much have you lost?

I have lost two pounds in the week and a half since surgery. It’s rather discouraging at this point. I’m trying to follow the diet as best I can, though I have had a few missed meals. My big problem is that I am taking two stool softeners together as directed by the doctor, and I haven’t had a bowl movement since surgery. It doesn’t cause me any discomfort but I’m quite worried. I’m going to call them again on Monday.

10 hours ago, NeenersNW said:

I did as well! how is everything going for you?

Congrats to you! :D Things are a little rough still on my end, but every day is getting better~

6 hours ago, BlackBeauty734 said:

congrats thats so awesome! On my surgery date I was 251.5 and I am 6 days out and down to 240 on the dot! I haven't experienced hunger pains yet or maybe I have? I'm not sure what they would feel like now? My gas is much better and I'm getting around much easier now. I found a comfy position to sleep so I feel like I'm into a good groove today 😊

4 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

The gas pains are so annoying but they do get better over time. I’m four days out and definitely still have it sometimes. One thing (sorry if TMI) is that the gas pains get less bad once you have a bowel movement. It took three DAYS for that to happen and I immediately get better and had way less gas.

The “foamies” I get when I consume too fast. I forgot to sip yesterday and chugged probably 3-4 oz. of Water and was in agony for probably an hour.

The hunger pangs are the worst, it feels like my stomach is literally twisting itself like a wet washcloth. I made Protein Jello (orange sugar free Gelatin with half a scoop of whey Protein isolate dissolved in the cold Water used for the gelatin) for when I absolutely can’t hack the “grinding”. The big packet of Jello makes 8 portion cups and I usually eat about half a portion cup, so a whopping 8 cal. It helps a lot.

I haven’t weighed myself yet today (doing it every day for the first two weeks per doctor’s suggestion—“you’re gonna wanna see the numbers”, then weekly after that) but yesterday morning I was 9.6 down from surgery weight in three days. I know that won’t last but some of these are numbers I haven’t seen in a decade, I already had to size down in my favorite Carhartt shorts, and had to throw out the larger size chonies because they were starting to hang off me.

My blood pressure the day before surgery on two BP meds was 145/85. My PCP took me off the one with the water pill as of the day after surgery and last night when I checked, my BP was 123/68 on one med!! I am STUNNED how fast that happened. Almost like my body is like “YES let’s get this done, pitter patter!”

Energy level is coming back, but am still weak. I walk 5k every day at least and once the incisions heal and I feel like I can sweat safely I’ll start running.

Day after surgery was the absolute worst and then it’s a dramatic improvement. Already the best decision I ever made for my body. It’s really amazing to think, “This is the last time I’m ever gonna see this d**n number on that scale.”

wow, sounds like you're doing fantastic!

I'm 6 days post op and down 11lbs my start weight was 251.4 and today's is 240 on the dot! my weird burps are gone and all body parts are back to working they way they should except the soreness from the incisions, I'm able to keep up with my protein and water and Vitamins. sleep is much better in my recliner (once I find a comfy spot.) I feel like everything is going well now, those first few days are sure rocky but I feel so much better than I did!

Its a crazy journey but well worth it!

6 hours ago, sandief54 said:

I am scheduled Tues, 9/21. I feel like the pre op diet is a wash. Trying 3 Protein Shakes a day starting today till Monday evening. I'm nervous and excited. Honestly though I get that feeling like I want to back out, even though I don't.

I had the same feeling, and I'll warn you that while you're working off the effects of anesthesia and the gas and Fluid they float into you, you will probably have a real "what have I done" moment.

But today (four days out!) I had the most insane levels of energy. I didn't run, because I'm trying to be careful of my innards at least until the surgeon sees me again in a week or so, but I easily could have. It is the most liberating feeling ever.

25 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

I had the same feeling, and I'll warn you that while you're working off the effects of anesthesia and the gas and Fluid they float into you, you will probably have a real "what have I done" moment.

But today (four days out!) I had the most insane levels of energy. I didn't run, because I'm trying to be careful of my innards at least until the surgeon sees me again in a week or so, but I easily could have. It is the most liberating feeling ever.

This, honestly. After surgery I definitely thought "wtf did I do to my body." But I'm on day 5 and today was a pretty good day pain and sensation wise.

Vikingbeast, congrats on feeling good. :)