Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Surgery Buddies!!

On 8/31/2021 at 2:16 PM, happilylacey said:

Totally. And you might be in surgery now, so good luck! Let us know how it went!!

Surgery went very well. Very little pain, just gas bloated. Very difficult to drink but keep trying. So far everything is better than I expected

15 hours ago, chivone said:

Mine is 8 September. On day 1 of liver shrinking diet. I'm hungry. But powering though. Mine is pretty much all liquid. Soup, pudding, oatmeal, yogurts. I hope I can make it. I realize I eat out of boredom. I also never noticed how many food commercials and Facebook ads exist. They don't help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

That is so true. Even my books were full of food descriptions. But now that I'm on Day 6, I think I'm in a groove and its not so bad anymore

1 hour ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Surgery went very well. Very little pain, just gas bloated. Very difficult to drink but keep trying. So far everything is better than I expected

That's great to hear, Congrats!

14 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

I know right. I don't know why we can't have a bit of flexibility while on 2 weeks of liquid. I don't know how those on 4 weeks do it, it is a struggle definitely.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I definitely crave something spicy or savory. Even 1 bite with my shake and I would feel at ease. But I get scared reading few of the horror stories who cheated during their pre-Op Diet.

I feel surgeons know we might slip once or twice, may be that's why they don't let us have the flexibility such that even if we slip, it can be balance with other days of strict liquid diet.

Oh my gosh! People have 4 week ones?

I'm on Day 6 and I think I'm doing better today but I definitely think I will be cured of a sweet tooth...

Last night I tried chicken broth, cilantro, a squeeze of lime, and a hit of cholula and then drained it so there was no cilantro actually in it - just the flavor but it was bomb.com after so many sweet shakes.

I don't know anyone firsthand, so what kind of stories have you heard? Just not being able to do the surgery because your liver is in the way?

Speaking of recovery to-dos:

Anyone have any good book or show recommendations for recovery? I like urban fantasy and thrillers.

I am finishing up the CurseBreakers series and in the last month I have also read these that I recommend:

-ACOTAR (A Court of Thorns and Roses) Series

-All the Mercy Thompson and Alpha/Omega Series by Patricia Briggs

-Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld (I've read these probably 7 times through now)

Next on my to read is From Blood and Ash...but I am open to all suggestions because I go through them quickly.

5 minutes ago, happilylacey said:

I'm on Day 6 and I think I'm doing better today but I definitely think I will be cured of a sweet tooth...

Last night I tried chicken broth, cilantro, a squeeze of lime, and a hit of cholula and then drained it so there was no cilantro actually in it - just the flavor but it was bomb.com after so many sweet shakes.

I don't know anyone firsthand, so what kind of stories have you heard? Just not being able to do the surgery because your liver is in the way?

That sounds sooooo good! Like a broth version of chicken tortilla soup! Totally adding that to my menu!

As for the LRD thing, I have not personally spoken with anyone who's surgeon flat out refused due to liver size/fatty tissue. There are stories all over the internet, but I can't confirm any. I do know several folks though who had to have an additional incision for the liver retractor. Not a huge issue, but it does make surgery and recovery a little longer and more difficult. Best to avoid, if possible, and give yourself the best shot at success!

45 minutes ago, happilylacey said:

So far I have only heard of one person who they couldn’t do the surgery because of the liver on here. I think they mostly can do it but they have to convert to an open procedure which is of course worse recovery and scars.

5 hours ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Awesome news, Tony! Keep us posted on your progress.

7 hours ago, happilylacey said:

Yeh on 4 shakes a day, even broth sounds tempting 😂😂

Well not many stories, may be 1 or 2 where 1 surgeon refused to operate and closed up and another I read on another site where someone's liver got cracked cuz she cheated her pre Op diet (But the cheating must have been hardcore for it to affect that dramatically). Otherwise mostly it's all done well!

Woohoo, so glad I found this thread!

My surgery is scheduled September 7th in Fountain Valley, CA.

My 5-day liquid diet starts today (9/2). 3 Protein Shakes a day with low carb options (yogurt, broth) in between only if needed. Day before surgery Clear Liquids only.

I’m pretty excited and have started documenting my progress on a new Instagram account as well! :)

Day 2 after surgery. 1st night home. I had a lot of nausea and struggle to sleep much at all. I have pain at a 2 or 3 out of 10, so bearable. Just cannot shake the nausea, hopefully it passes soon. Have fallen short on liquids but will get better today for sure. I am an avid walker but for some reason walking has given me calf pain, maybe because I am walking is socks vice walking sneakers…who know, just weird.

16 hours ago, happilylacey said:

That sounds good (minus the cilantro - I'm one of THOSE people). I'll have to get some chicken broth.