Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Surgery Buddies!!

I'm on day two of my pre-op diet. I can eat "real food" except very low carb and low fat, lots of Protein and veggies. I have diarrhea and nausea. I'm used to eating a lot of veggies, but I'm not used to eating a ton of protein in the form of plain meat. I'm not sure if this is why I'm so nauseous but it just tastes gross! I'm exhausted too, and yesterday I had a headache. I'm craving cheese soooo baaddd

1 minute ago, happilylacey said:

Yeah, totally understandable, but liver shrinking can be accomplished even with a dinner meal of lean meat and non starchy veggies. We were curious why some of us have to do only 3 shakes a day, nothing else when others have no LSD, and others are kinda in the middle - 2 shakes and a healthy dinner.

That's exactly what I mean, no standardization! Drives me batty!

2 hours ago, happilylacey said:

Thanks BretBMF! I'm glad it's not too long as the hospital is almost 2 hours from me. Did you ever get an update on a date?

Yes, I did. I am scheduled for this Friday (September 3) at 8:30am. As much as that feels like a finish line, it's just the beginning of the marathon. (Yes, that sounds cliché, but it's definitely true for all of us going through this).

Bret

2 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I think it's just the different doctors and what they see work for them and their (previous) patients. It's probably also a case by case scenario with each individual patient. That being said...

The pre-op diet can be frustrating, but it's definitely doable. I've been living off of Protein Shakes, Water, crystal light, and low sodium broth for 12 days now. If I can do it, pretty much anybody can do it (or whatever their version of "it" is). I will say this - I've given up on the broth. It accomplished nothing and has no benefit other than a different flavor. I just drink as much water as possible all throughout the day. That's the key for me.

It seems far off right now, but it will be here before you know it!

Bret

4 hours ago, happilylacey said:

Ugh sorry to hear it. I'm on Day 5 and I am so hangry. The first 4 days were worse though, I think I'm feeling slighlty better. Except for the random bouts of dizziness :(

Thanks. I’m coping better now but I could kill a pizza. Definitely hangry sometimes. Sorry you’re having trouble. Solidarity!

Mine is 8 September. On day 1 of liver shrinking diet. I'm hungry. But powering though. Mine is pretty much all liquid. Soup, pudding, oatmeal, yogurts. I hope I can make it. I realize I eat out of boredom. I also never noticed how many food commercials and Facebook ads exist. They don't help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

14 minutes ago, chivone said:

Mine is 8 September. On day 1 of liver shrinking diet. I'm hungry. But powering though. Mine is pretty much all liquid. Soup, pudding, oatmeal, yogurts. I hope I can make it. I realize I eat out of boredom. I also never noticed how many food commercials and Facebook ads exist. They don't help.

You're basically on a liver shrink diet for a week?!

You seem to have various options to get you through. I am sure you'll be fine. 1 week will buzz through.

10 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I know right. I don't know why we can't have a bit of flexibility while on 2 weeks of liquid. I don't know how those on 4 weeks do it, it is a struggle definitely.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I definitely crave something spicy or savory. Even 1 bite with my shake and I would feel at ease. But I get scared reading few of the horror stories who cheated during their pre-Op Diet.

I feel surgeons know we might slip once or twice, may be that's why they don't let us have the flexibility such that even if we slip, it can be balance with other days of strict liquid diet.

You seem to have various options to get you through. I am sure you'll be fine. 1 week will buzz through.
Well, it was for ten days. Today's my first full day with no cheating. I plan to do it. I'm having a band removed then bypass, so I need this pre-op. Thanks for the encouragement! I need it.

4 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

4 hours ago, chivone said:

Ah we’re surgery twins! You can do it! The first 3 days could be pretty rough but after that it’s smooth sailing. When my partner had vsg surgery 2 years ago, I did the 2 week preop diet with him; out of solidarity. Now that was rough! Now he’a doing it with me, but We’re lucky we only have to do it for a week!

7 hours ago, chivone said:

The Facebook food ads are killing me! I don't watch TV so I never see those ads, but I never noticed how many ads for food there are on facebook!!