Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Surgeon During Consult

Hello everyone, I'm having a consult with a bariatric surgeon on August 24th for a gastric bypass (and lap band removal). I have already had one consult with another surgeon and did not prepare questions ahead of time. The visit did not go well and I didn't like the surgeon but that's another story. For this new consult, I'd really like to go in with some questions prepared in advance. To those of you who are going through this process or have been through it, what are some questions that you recommend I ask? Anything you can think of that you wish you had asked before surgery? Thank you!

Because you’ve already have a staring point of reference because of your band, I’d probably ask about the differences between having a band & the bypass. Are there differences in the foods you can eat or may struggle with? Are there differences in specific nutrients you must include in your diet? Are there differences in how you’ll recover post surgery? Are there differences in how you’ll manage the bypass versus the band. Will you require different or additional supplements? What are the possible issues you may encounter after surgery & in the long term - what to look out for or be aware of. What should you expect the recovery time to be? How will your digestive system work with a band versus a sleeve? What are the dos & don’ts post surgery & the staged return to eating solid foods? Etc.

Sure others will come up with more. Hope it goes well.

3 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Because you’ve already have a staring point of reference because of your band, I’d probably ask about the differences between having a band & the bypass. Are there differences in the foods you can eat or may struggle with? Are there differences in specific nutrients you must include in your diet? Are there differences in how you’ll recover post surgery? Are there differences in how you’ll manage the bypass versus the band. Will you require different or additional supplements? What are the possible issues you may encounter after surgery & in the long term - what to look out for or be aware of. What should you expect the recovery time to be? How will your digestive system work with a band versus a sleeve? What are the dos & don’ts post surgery & the staged return to eating solid foods? Etc.

Sure others will come up with more. Hope it goes well.

Great questions, thank you so much!

Ask if they recommend a good bariatric therapist in your area. Have a consult, or file the contact away for later if you need it.

Research the surgeon's credentials and reputation. Research the hospital where the surgeon does surgery. Make sure you like what you learn.

Make sure anyone on staff who will be giving you dietary advice is in fact a registered credientialed dietician.

If you're planning a surgery this fall, talk about the potential impacts of Covid19.

8 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Ask if they recommend a good bariatric therapist in your area. Have a consult, or file the contact away for later if you need it.

Research the surgeon's credentials and reputation. Research the hospital where the surgeon does surgery. Make sure you like what you learn.

Make sure anyone on staff who will be giving you dietary advice is in fact a registered credientialed dietician.

If you're planning a surgery this fall, talk about the potential impacts of Covid19.

Thank you! Great questions.

I'm doing the same as you ( band to bypass) and scheduled for surgery 8 Sep. I met with my doc today and asked the following: 1. Will I have a drain? 2. How long will I be admitted? 3. How long is the surgery?
Can I have visitors?
Do I need bandages for wound after are?
What and how many medications will I be on immediately after surgery?
When can I start my Vitamins again? Is there a danger of COVID infection or other infections after surgery? Do I need to limit contact with others? When can I start getting massages after surgery?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Is the revision a two step process (remove the band, wait a few months for healing, then do the RNY) or all at one time. Some surgeons do them all one way or the other, or depending upon circumstances.

what kind of pre-op dieting requirements do they have (some want their patients to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery, while some don't care; some impose a stricter to "shrink the liver" for a couple of weeks or so before surgery, while others don't)?

What problems do you frequently encounter with this type of procedure (as the bands often damage the stomach, and that's why many such revisions are done.)

I would also ask how much weight do you think I will lose, and what are the determinates of that. How will any of my medications be affected/changed by the surgery? What are restrictions on my activities after the surgery (this will depend on your job, but how long do you have to avoid lifting, etc)?

My program is very organized and upfront with all information. You see the nurse practitioner first after attending a seminar first. I was given a packet with everything I need to know. Vitamins Protein Shakes, post op meds,activity ,diet and meal suggestions. A total rundown on my insurance and what they require. And much more. I feel very fortunate to be in this program. Feel well informed.

Wow, you are all amazing. These are SUCH great questions. I feel like I will be very prepared. Thank you.