Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about drink intake.

Hi,

My name is Trapper I had a Gastric Bypass about 3 weeks ago. I'm currently on the puree stage and start soft foods August 24th, My main concern right now(besides how annoying it is not being able to eat what I want lol) is when can I drink normal again? Before my surgery I was always thirsty and I still am, It takes a lot of willpower to not just chug a Water or something. When does this "sipping" of drinks stop? Does it stop? I've tried to slowly see how much I can handle drinking but if I drink too much I tend to burp a lot or get a bubbling in my throat like indigestion or acid reflux I don't really know. Anyway it's uncomfortable because I'm used to being able to just drink and not worry about it, Not being able to drink as much as I want does really irritate me since I'm always thirsty I just want to drink more, Maybe it's just in my head? I'm not sure. Anyway I'd love to hear any tips you have for drinking or in general. Thanks!

I am five weeks out and I have been able to increase the size of my drinks for about a week or so now. I can't chug down a huge glass of Water like I used to be able to do, but I can take what I would consider a normal-sized drink. I do still try to use the sipping motion to actually drink though, to avoid getting too much air in my stomach, which can lead to gas and discomfort.

1 minute ago, FutureSkyDiver said:

I am five weeks out and I have been able to increase the size of my drinks for about a week or so now. I can't chug down a huge glass of Water like I used to be able to do, but I can take what I would consider a normal-sized drink. I do still try to use the sipping motion to actually drink though, to avoid getting too much air in my stomach, which can lead to gas and discomfort.

That's great to hear, Not too sure If I want to keep to the whole sipping thing but it's surely something I'll try. Thanks for your response! :)

Oh man, I found that super annoying right after surgery as well. I've always been the thirsty type - when I was a kid at school, my friends used to tease me because I would stop at multiple drinking fountains when walking somewhere. It was super frustrating after surgery when I'd go for exercise and get really thirsty, but not be able to drink as much as I felt I wanted. I also would get a pain like you describe, which I think was very much because air was collecting in my stomach but it was very hard to burp it out properly. Those first few months especially, I would pound on my stomach like I was a baby when I got that pain, which would usually make me burp and start feel better. I feel like maybe when your stomach is so small, it's hard for the air to rise to the top and escape by itself.

I'm 18 months out now, and it is much improved. I still can't drink as much or as fast as I want to all the time, but the amount that I can drink at once is much more than it was right after surgery. I've mostly gotten used to it though. I am usually much better about taking Water with me when I exercise and drinking something as soon as I get thirsty, rather than letting the feeling build up until I want to gulp the water down. I've also gotten used to drinking more slowly without having to stop and think about it.

22 minutes ago, rjan said:

Oh man, I found that super annoying right after surgery as well. I've always been the thirsty type - when I was a kid at school, my friends used to tease me because I would stop at multiple drinking fountains when walking somewhere. It was super frustrating after surgery when I'd go for exercise and get really thirsty, but not be able to drink as much as I felt I wanted. I also would get a pain like you describe, which I think was very much because air was collecting in my stomach but it was very hard to burp it out properly. Those first few months especially, I would pound on my stomach like I was a baby when I got that pain, which would usually make me burp and start feel better. I feel like maybe when your stomach is so small, it's hard for the air to rise to the top and escape by itself.

I'm 18 months out now, and it is much improved. I still can't drink as much or as fast as I want to all the time, but the amount that I can drink at once is much more than it was right after surgery. I've mostly gotten used to it though. I am usually much better about taking Water with me when I exercise and drinking something as soon as I get thirsty, rather than letting the feeling build up until I want to gulp the Water down. I've also gotten used to drinking more slowly without having to stop and think about it.

Oh I can't wait for the amount I can drink to increase. I'm sure most people complain about not being able to eat as much as they want but honestly it's the drinking for me lol. I'm glad to hear that it will get better at least, Do you still sip as well when 18 months out or are you able to drink relatively normal? I hope I get used to it, the mental part of wanting to drink more than I can is the most frustrating. Thanks for the reply! :)

This is one of my fears... I am super active and live in a hot climate. I am ALWAYS drinking Water. I can easily polish off a 3L cranberry juice bottle (full of water!) in a couple of hours of bucking hay or running fence.

I'm gonna buy myself a Camelbak after the initial healing phase is over and I can go back to heavy-duty work. I know we're not supposed to use straws, but I can't carry a thing of water with me everywhere, and I can't not drink.

1 hour ago, 11Trapper said:

Oh I can't wait for the amount I can drink to increase. I'm sure most people complain about not being able to eat as much as they want but honestly it's the drinking for me lol. I'm glad to hear that it will get better at least, Do you still sip as well when 18 months out or are you able to drink relatively normal? I hope I get used to it, the mental part of wanting to drink more than I can is the most frustrating. Thanks for the reply! :)

The pain/restriction gets much better over the first few months. I don't feel like I have to sip anymore, but I still can't gulp it down and probably won't ever be able to. I can drink about 2 cups over 5 minutes. But I've gotten used to it and mostly don't have to think about it anymore.

Also, I still get some pain/faintness if I forget and drink much Fluid during meals. Having a big glass of Water while I'm fixing a meal has become habit though, so I don't have to think about that too much anymore either. That's what I really appreciate - I feel like not having to think about everything to do with what I eat/drink but still remain healthy was my main goal.

4 minutes ago, rjan said:

The pain/restriction gets much better over the first few months. I don't feel like I have to sip anymore, but I still can't gulp it down and probably won't ever be able to. I can drink about 2 cups over 5 minutes. But I've gotten used to it and mostly don't have to think about it anymore.

Also, I still get some pain/faintness if I forget and drink much Fluid during meals. Having a big glass of Water while I'm fixing a meal has become habit though, so I don't have to think about that too much anymore either. That's what I really appreciate - I feel like not having to think about everything to do with what I eat/drink but still remain healthy was my main goal.

Hearing that makes me feel a ton better. I also thought that you were supposed to not drink with meals anymore? Maybe that's just something I've been told that is temporary. I love the idea of not having to think about what I have to worry about the things I have to right now in the future. Thanks for the information :D

13 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

This is one of my fears... I am super active and live in a hot climate. I am ALWAYS drinking Water. I can easily polish off a 3L cranberry juice bottle (full of water!) in a couple of hours of bucking hay or running fence.

I'm gonna buy myself a Camelbak after the initial healing phase is over and I can go back to heavy-duty work. I know we're not supposed to use straws, but I can't carry a thing of Water with me everywhere, and I can't not drink.

Straw advice is one of those things that vary wildly by surgeon - some say to never use a straw, some only restrict them for a few months, others actually recommend them when patients are having trouble getting enough fluids. There's not actually any scientific evidence that straws are an issue for bariatric patients. See this thread: https://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/92638-straws-forbidden-by-my-surgeon-anyone-still-use-them/

It seems like if you get a Camelbak with the flexible bladder and burp the air out first, and have a bite valve on the end of the straw so it only opens when you take a drink, you'd actually get very little extra air in your mouth from the straw.

5 minutes ago, 11Trapper said:

Hearing that makes me feel a ton better. I also thought that you were supposed to not drink with meals anymore? Maybe that's just something I've been told that is temporary. I love the idea of not having to think about what I have to worry about the things I have to right now in the future. Thanks for the information :D

Yes, you're not supposed to drink during or after meals (when I do that, it is a mistake). However, doctors differ as to their advice about drinking before a meal. Some advise not to drink for 30 minutes before a meal, while others say you can drink up until a few minutes before you start eating. The idea with this latter version of the advice is that Water is absorbed very quickly when your stomach is empty. Personally, I've never had any issue with drinking right before meals.

Edited by rjan

14 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

I'm gonna buy myself a Camelbak after the initial healing phase is over and I can go back to heavy-duty work. I know we're not supposed to use straws, but I can't carry a thing of Water with me everywhere, and I can't not drink.

It's definitely an annoyance, I am certainly not super active but I've always been really thirsty for some reason. It's a definite struggle but from what I'm hearing it will get better. Thanks for replying :)

15 minutes ago, rjan said:

Yes, you're not supposed to drink during or after meals (when I do that, it is a mistake). However, doctors differ as to their advice about drinking before a meal. Some advise not to drink for 30 minutes before a meal, while others say you can drink up until a few minutes before you start eating. The idea with this latter version of the advice is that Water is absorbed very quickly when your stomach is empty. Personally, I've never had any issue with drinking right before meals.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing up the confusion. I've personally never had an issue drinking with meals either, At least I haven't noticed it if there was one lol. Thanks for the information again :D

16 minutes ago, rjan said:

Straw advice is one of those things that vary wildly by surgeon - some say to never use a straw, some only restrict them for a few months, others actually recommend them when patients are having trouble getting enough fluids. There's not actually any scientific evidence that straws are an issue for bariatric patients. See this thread: https://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/92638-straws-forbidden-by-my-surgeon-anyone-still-use-them/

It seems like if you get a Camelbak with the flexible bladder and burp the air out first, and have a bite valve on the end of the straw so it only opens when you take a drink, you'd actually get very little extra air in your mouth from the straw.

I was struggling to meet my daily Water requirements until I went back to using a straw. Now, no issues on meeting/exceeding that daily water goal and no issues with excess gas. I always use a straw now. 🥤

You will eventually able to drink more - how much & when is individual. You’ll also eventually be able to drink more closely to before & after you eat. The waiting before & after is to ensure your tummy is empty before you eat so you’ll get your Protein & other nutrients in - essentially when you’re losing.

Personally, I prefer sipping throughout the day because it keeps me hydrated all day versus not drinking then chugging glass after glass cause I’m dying of thirst. Remember much like feeling full, it takes time for the message you need fluids to get through. So by the time you feel thirsty you’re on the way to being dehydrated.

I often think being thirsty is also a bit like an addiction - the more you drink the more you want to drink. Just like you slowly get used to drinking less if you cut back for some reason - travel, work, weather, etc. I struggle to drink to my goal in winter then it takes me a little while to get fully back on track when the weather warms.

To use straws or not is different surgeon to surgeon & person to person. I used them to begin but found I was sucking up too much air & I can’t burp so painful. I found it way easier to drink from a glass than camel back or similar bottles. I also take the lids off takeaway tea & coffee. All reminds me too much like baby bottles & sippy cups. Lol!

Just a thought. Were you diagnosed as being diabetic or being insulin resistant? Increased thirst is a sign. Often people are pre diabetic & don’t realise.

Edited by Arabesque

I'm almost 19 months out and I still take smallish sips over gulping things down like I used to because I've made myself feel sick by drinking too much too fast and it's a terrible feeling! On the bright side the Protein Drink that used to take me over 2 hours to drink now only takes me about 30-45 minutes to drink now, so it does get better!