Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Calories

I'm 13 months out from surgery and my calorie intake varies wildly, anywhere from 1100 to 2000 calories per day, with the vast majority of days in the 1300 to 1600 range.

I'm still losing weight though, hit my lowest weight in 35 years this morning.

You may want to check in with your Doctor. It sounds IMPOSSIBLE to meet your nutritional requirements for Protein and stay less than the 300 calories. There must be some type of misunderstanding here.

Well... My doctor just left the practice. In an earlier post I discussed how he said 21lbs four weeks after surgery was disappointing and how he wanted me to lose 15lbs by the next time I was to see him (2 weeks) So both the doctor and NUT all seem to be on the same boat with this.

10 minutes ago, KeKe82 said:

Well... My doctor just left the practice. In an earlier post I discussed how he said 21lbs four weeks after surgery was disappointing and how he wanted me to lose 15lbs by the next time I was to see him (2 weeks) So both the doctor and NUT all seem to be on the same boat with this.

Did he have a nurse practitioner. They are usually easier to talk to anyways from my experience. If not I guess I would ask to see another doctor at the practice. You shouldn’t be left all alone just because he left the practice.

Yes he does. I will look into that. Maybe she will be a better fit for me. It's weird how they didn't even ask or offer another doctor to me or his NP. Smh

Many of us are recommended to have 2 Protein Shakes a day until we can eat enough Protein with food, the Protein Shake supplements alone are about 300 calories. You wouldn't have any calories left to get other foods in. I agree, it does not sound like a 300 maximum is enough even in earlier phases.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, KeKe82 said:

Hi guys.

My 2 month post op sleeve appointment was today. My NUT said that I should be consuming only 300 calories a day and no snacking (not even a high in Protein snack). Can anyone share their daily calories at the 2 month mark?

Keke82,

I am attaching copies of my plan for 4 weeks post op, you can also Google other post op plans, just to compare them to what you were given. Other plans that i looked at were very similar. Some plans did include estimated calories for each phase.

I have not really calculated my calories, but I know my shakes are about 300 (for 2), and each meal (3) maybe 60-120 calories. I don't usually eat my whole meal yet, I am just over 3 weeks post op. I was told not to snack outside of meals, and count my 2 Protein Shakes as my 2 "snacks". So I am allowed 3 meals & 2 shakes, until I go to the modified regular diet.

Maybe you can talk to your team and see if they can go over their recommended plan with you again, and let them know you are finding it difficult to stay under 300 calories & get your Protein in. Good luck & keep us posted!😊

20210820_101524.thumb.jpg.72b1bca74deca1419afa12bec07f8f7b.jpg 20210820_100645.thumb.jpg.b7583a400c8f63aff97b07be840db22b.jpg

Thank you for posting. I appreciate it.

Most NUTS give Protein, carb and liquid goals not necessarily calories. Mine was 80gr protein, 20gr carbs, and 64oz of liquid in whatever stage of texture you could tolerate. Liquid, pureed, soft, minced, etc. Most surgeons only see you in person the first couple months after that you get the NP and the NUT. The surgeon already did his job, and he is on to the next group.

My NUT specifically said 300 calories until the 5 month mark.

300 sounds impossibly low! How would you have any energy to get through your day? I'm averaging about 900 to 1,000 calories per day at 6 weeks out.

3 minutes ago, KeKe82 said:

My NUT specifically said 300 calories until the 5 month mark.

300 calories a DAY? Holy crap that is entirely too low. You couldn’t even drink 2 Protein Shakes and eat nothing for that. Are you sure that isn’t a maximum per meal? I was definitely around 700-800 calories a day by month 4, at least. I’m closer to 1200 now because of all of the exercise I do and I’m still losing.

Edited by Crick

Right. I am not following that number.

No because I asked twice I was shocked. It was 300 calories daily until the 5 month mark.