Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Calories

Hi guys.

My 2 month post op sleeve appointment was today. My NUT said that I should be consuming only 300 calories a day and no snacking (not even a high in Protein snack). Can anyone share their daily calories at the 2 month mark?

Exactly. I thought 300 was way too low for this stage and you won't lose weight. Im so confused??

I totally agree it's not enough. I wouldn't have enough energy to work at 300 a day. My doctor says 700 -800 first 6 months . I'm also heavy Protein and very low fat and carbohydrates on that 700 - 800 calories. Not saying it will work for you but its working awesome for me so I'm sticking with it. I'm 2 1/2 months post op and down 50lbs .

At that stage they didn’t even give me a calorie goal. Just a quantity goal. I honestly can’t remember if it was two or three ounces.

I’m 11 weeks and 850-900. Which is on target based on what my nutritionist provided.

300 is WAY too low. 60 grams of Protein alone is 240 calories!!

Edit to add I eat 3 “meals” and 3 “snacks” a day and I’m consistently losing.

Edited by MistySkye

You guys between my surgeon and now my NUT they have been giving me unrealistic goals. It's very disappointing.

I agree with everyone else 300 seems low. I am to stay between 600-800 for the first year.

My Nutritionist told me it was fine to break my meals into 2 meals so I eat 6 small meals a day and am losing. I am down to 207 from 245 and I am one month and one day out from surgery.

Edited by Bluebonnetgirl

Honestly, I was eating less than 300 calories a day but that was when I was at the liquid & purée stage so first month. It slowly increased to almost 900 at 6months & then 1200 for me to maintain at about 18 months or so. But that’s me. Your needs will likely be entirely different.

I was never given a caloric goal just portion sizes which I was advised to slowly increase as I was able. I was also encouraged to snack from about 2 months (?) usually twice a day. I ate yoghurt &/or cheese &/or fruit. As I was adding more vegetables to my diet, the Snacks ensured I was still meeting my Protein goals & eating some fruit too. Broadening my food options for a more balanced diet was more important to my nutritionalist from soft foods.

As with most things bariatric, those who are given caloric goals seem to be given a variety of calories to aim for as they progressed.

A lot of people are successful eating several small meals like @Bluebonnetgirl versus 3 meals a day. Or they put the leftovers in the fridge to finish later which I often did. You’ll work out what works best for you.

Personally, I think your nutritionalist is not being realistic or sensible. Part of this process is to make us more aware of what, how & why we eat & introduce healthier ways of eating & more nutritious foods. Then when you get to your goal weight you have adopted a sustainable nutritious eating plan. How can you introduce fruit & vegetables into your diet if you can only eat 300 calories a day? All you are eating must really just be protein. An extremely low calorie eating plan is not sustainable nor healthy in the long term.

That’s really low! Just like others, I was told to stay around 800 calories a day. I consume about 500-600 a day at 6 weeks post op mostly due to not being terribly hungry and of course the restriction. I couldn’t function on 300 a day 😬

Telling you to stick to 300 calories 2 months out is wild. I was also doing 600-800ish when I was 2 months out.

At two months out from a mini gastric bypass I was just trying to get enough calories in to be able to function at work and the rest of life! I found it really hard to consume anything, even enough fluids. I was probably around 400 calories at that point, some days up to around 800. From a healing and metabolism point of view I am not sure much below 800 is very helpful, in my opinion. Could you get a second opinion from an independent nutritionist with bariatric experience?

Edited to add: in the UK actually it would be a dietician rather than nutritionist, I don't know if you have that distinction where you are from?

Edited by Jen2020MGB
Edited to add

we didn't get calorie goals, but I've been hanging out on bariatric forums for the last seven or so years. 300 calories seems pretty common the first month when you're doing liquids or purees, but after that, most people are eating around 600-800 calories/day until they get to about 10-12 months out.

Agree with everyone else. Seems too low. I admit, I did NOT have a calorie count to stick to during the liquid, puree or soft food stages. But NATURALLY in the first month/month and a half I was getting in around 300/400. However, once I got to regular foods around 1.5 months out, I was NATURALLY eating around 500/600. I'm now 3 months out and eating around 600-800 a day. My Nutritionist and surgeon said stay UNDER 1000 a day if I'm still in the losing phase.

That seems low to me! I wasn’t given an exact calorie goal either, but a goal to get in 70-80gms of Protein per day. My Protein Shake is 30 grams protein, 160 calories. chicken breast for 3 ounces is about 165 cals, 30 grams protein. An Ooikos triple zero yogurt is 100 cals, 15 grams protein. So that gets you at 75 grams protein and 425 calories. Not sure how I could have possible met my protein goal for only 300 calories.