Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting very nervous and anxious

Guys! I need words of encouragement please. My surgery is next week and my anxiety is off the charts. I’m doing great on the preop diet( my doctor said 2 weeks Protein Shakes and clear sugar free liquids only? I’m not really nervous about the surgery. I’m nervous about life after, gas pains, and not being able to keep food down. Anyone who is post op, please share your experience. Thank you

30 minutes ago, Vanessa Kiro said:

Guys! I need words of encouragement please. My surgery is next week and my anxiety is off the charts. I’m doing great on the preop diet( my doctor said 2 weeks Protein Shakes and clear sugar free liquids only? I’m not really nervous about the surgery. I’m nervous about life after, gas pains, and not being able to keep food down. Anyone who is post op, please share your experience. Thank you

Good morning Vanessa,

I went though all of those same feelings about 1 year ago. At first it was a lot to think about, but take each day one at a time. You will get through this just fine.

1) stick to the diet the doctor and nutritionist give you and follow it to the letter. This is critical for the stomach to heal. And less side effects.

2) The nutritionist is there to help and guide you through the readjustment of your new eating habits. Don’t be shy to ask for guidance from the Bariatric team. They want you to succeed as much as you do.

3) Gas pains only hung around for a few weeks for me, but you may have a different experience.

4) Bear in mind that once you are able to eat solid and semi solid food, that one bite too many “may” cause pain but eating slowly helps immensely.

5) I find drinking tea with vanilla Protein Shake as the creamer/sweetener calms me and soothes my tummy when I feel hungry. I have been doing this since before my surgery. If you shake the Protein Drink a lot it makes it more like a latte.

6) WATER! H20 is your friend. I have Water at my side ALWAYS. Pretty much all I drink now is water, Protein Shakes and tea. Everything else is empty calories. Sugar is not your friend.

7) You have taken the huge first step of a great journey and you will be so happy you did this for yourself. So proud of you!

I relate with you. I just went through a revision almost 2 weeks ago. The things that ran around my head! Oh man. I don't know what surgery you are gearing up for but we all go through that. I said to my husband the night before "Not worried about making it through surgery, nor the temporary pain afterwards but I sure hope I'm not making a huge mistake that I can't retract later in life."

For me, so far (yes, I am still worried about problems down the road as we all are.) everything has been great and I feel like now, I'd do it over and over again. Life isn't really different except that I'm feeling better, sleeping better and am enjoying the additional weight loss. And it is not like many of the things I've heard on YouTube or forums that frightened me.

Hugs to you and keep us posted.

I was worried about a lot of the same things. I am five months post op and couldn’t be happier. I am 50 pounds down and I can eat any and everything I ate pre op just in smaller portions. Also, I had very little pain post op. No gas pain. I like to attribute it to the fact that I did really good on the pre op diet and the really shrunk down liver was out of the way so they didn’t have to pump me full of air or bruise my insides retracting it out of the way. I still don’t really know if that had anything to do with it For sure, but i think it makes sense.

You can do it!! I also started getting really nervous when I was just a few days out. It helped to read hat so many people have no regrets about their surgery on here. I am now one of those people.

I was just thinking about it and there are two posts that you should visit to help calm your nerves. One is weirdest non scale victories and the other one is what is your why.

11 minutes ago, Laurie C. said:

How do you find these?

On my phone it’s in the top right a little magnifying glass icon. Then you just type in the heading.

2 hours ago, Laurie C. said:

How do you find these?

I don't know where the other one is, but the NSV one is here:

2 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

I don't know where the other one is, but the NSV one is here:

Edited by ShoppGirl

8 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

My health. Bladder, high blood pressure, arthritis, needed knee replacements, etc. And tired of not being able to do things with my girls! Divorced and need a life!

On 8/18/2021 at 4:49 AM, ceecee.100 said:

Great idea… sprinkle vanilla Protein Shake in your tea!!!!!…. My Pre-op diet starts tomorrow!!!!!

I started doing Vanilla Protein Shakes in my coffee a while back. When I switched to tea because of an ulcer I gave it a try and it was amazing. My favorite teas to use are Yorkshire, Chai, Earl Grey. If you use the liquid shake, pour a bit in then put the lid back on and shake it until you cannot hear the liquid then pour it in and it is just like a tea vanilla latte!

My surgery is in two weeks and my nerves are getting the best of me. I have very low pain tolerance and I’m kinds on my own doing this. No family around and a B single mother but I’m like can I do this alone. I have someone to pick up and drop off but I’ll be in my own afterwards. Well I be okay

42 minutes ago, Ms_RBell08 said:

My surgery is in two weeks and my nerves are getting the best of me. I have very low pain tolerance and I’m kinds on my own doing this. No family around and a B single mother but I’m like can I do this alone. I have someone to pick up and drop off but I’ll be in my own afterwards. Well I be okay

You will be just fine. If you need support, we are here to help. Feel free to contact me and I can talk you through anything.
This was the best thing I did for me!

sending light and love ❤️