Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Year Bariatric Failure - Please educate me on the basics

So, I have gained 40 lbs back since my surgery five years ago. I find myself eating for comfort again and have basically forgotten (and broken) ALL the rules of the bariatric diet! I welcome any encouragement, tips, and advice. I remember the keys to early success were: Protein Shakes, Water, extremely small portions, balanced healthy diet, walking, and taking supplements. I quit taking the bariatric supplements after a couple years and uh... well the small portions have gotten bigger (I no longer vomit). I crave sweets and I allow myself to eat them! Ugh...

I still take regular multiple Vitamin but nothing else other than prescriptions for depression, thyroid and a blood thinner for clots. My legs absolutely hurt ALL the stinking time so there is that. I am seeing doctors to try and figure that out. I've seen my primary doctor, a hematologist, and a cardiologist. It does interfere with my desire to walk or exercise. It is just too painful. I think I am at the point I am ready to start again though to work through that pain.

Can you please tell me what’s going on with your legs? I’m 3 years out and the pain becomes excruciating some days. It started in March 2021 & the doctors haven’t been able to figure it out yet. I just now had an MRI, waiting on those results…. 🙏❤️

That’s the thing isn’t it. Our cravings, habits or emotional drives to eat are always with us. They don’t disappear as we lost our weight - unfortunately. It’s a constant battle to manage them & reduce their power over us.

Portion size & calories. I’m only 2 years out but that’s the key for me. And nutritionally dense food of course. As you know if you eat more calories than your body needs to function you’ll put on weight. If you eat less than your body needs you’ll lose. Sure you could go back to Protein Shakes temporarily as a kick start to reduce your calories & start to break your cravings. Or you could follow Keto or other diet for a couple of weeks too. But it really comes down to reducing those calories & portion sizes & making nutritionally sound food choices that will be sustainable in your lifestyle.

Can you go back to your dietician/nutritionalist for some hints & tips to refocus you?

Have a look at some of Dr Matthew Weiner’s you tube videos about metabolic reset diets & his Pound of Cure book. https://m.youtube.com/user/DrMatthewWeiner

Good luck.

GeTNbackup,

I wish I knew what was going on with my legs. It existed prior to the surgery so I was treated for restless legs with increasing doses of medication that never helped. Pain was primary at night. My thoughts were that perhaps it was the excess weight so the doctor approved the weight loss surgery which I paid for out of pocket. The surgery didn't help the pain either. I quit taking the restless medications. Later they did ultrasounds and found an old blood clot in my leg and some plaque. I am on Xalrelto and they have seem some improvement in the size of the clot. However, there is NO improvement in the pain and I now suffer during the day. I don't think the clot is the source of the pain. I am seeing a cardiologist and next step is a vascular doctor. I really don't trust doctors. They sent me to that hematologist and I noticed that he billed an enormous amount of money and also had indicated "COVID" related on the bill. I had COVID in December and this was July!!! I retired in June so most of this is out of pocket now. Without sounding too political, I call BS! My husband thinks I complain too much and I probably do. I am in pain in more ways than one.

I’m glad you are planning to see a cardiologist and a vascular doctor. Peripheral arterial disease or peripheral vascular disease cause leg pain and can increase the risk of heart disease. I wish you all the best and hope you get an answer for the problem. It’s terrible to be in pain so much!!

On 8/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, AmiLou said:

So, I have gained 40 lbs back since my surgery five years ago. I find myself eating for comfort again and have basically forgotten (and broken) ALL the rules of the bariatric diet! I welcome any encouragement, tips, and advice. I remember the keys to early success were: Protein Shakes, Water, extremely small portions, balanced healthy diet, walking, and taking supplements. I quit taking the bariatric supplements after a couple years and uh... well the small portions have gotten bigger (I no longer vomit). I crave sweets and I allow myself to eat them! Ugh...

I still take regular multiple Vitamin but nothing else other than prescriptions for depression, thyroid and a blood thinner for clots. My legs absolutely hurt ALL the stinking time so there is that. I am seeing doctors to try and figure that out. I've seen my primary doctor, a hematologist, and a cardiologist. It does interfere with my desire to walk or exercise. It is just too painful. I think I am at the point I am ready to start again though to work through that pain.

Best looking over you tube videos and getting back familiarized with everything. When they say it is a for life change and I read a post like this I get it. You can easily drift off into non compliance if you are not careful and end up back where you were. I think staying in contact with groups like this and talking to your doctor and nutritionist a couple times a year are a must.