Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips to speed up weight loss

Anyone have tips on speeding up weight loss? I'm 4 months out and have only lost 2 pounds in last 2 months. I get my minimum Protein and Water in. I walk more than pre op, do YouTube exercise videos a few times per week. Calories are 600-800 per day. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Help?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you doing strength training? Perhaps your gaining muscle??

No, just cardio. At my 3 month check in they told me to focus on cardio.

I would think that you are probably consuming less calories than you should? Did your doctor or dietician recommend less than 800 calories? I would literally be a grizzly bear! Hangry! Especially if I am exercising as well! That just isn't enough fuel for the body. 1200 seems much more doable.

Hey Amilou, I'm only 4 months out, and they told me to stay under 800. I'm not really crazy hungry but do feel weak sometimes.

Hmmm, I was told once I hit the regular food stage to keep it below 1000 while still in the losing phase. Experiment for a week or two and up your calories by 100 or 200 and see if that helps. Also, are you getting in enough Protein? I thought I was but when I started keeping track I realized I was only getting in half of what I needed and I was stalling all the time. So I made an effort to make sure I got more protein, 60-70 grams a day, and upped my caloric intake to between 800 and 1000 a day and that got me moving again. Have you called your dietician and/or doc office?

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

You may not be doing anything wrong. We all lose at our own rate or you could be experiencing a prolonged stall - they do happen.

There are lots of different plans & caloric recommendations. What does your plan recommend? I wasn’t given a caloric guide just portion size guides but I’d randomly check my calories & was barely eating 900 calories by 6 months when I reached goal but that was me.

Make sure you are not just reaching your minimum Protein goals but aim for your average to be in the upper end of the range you were given.

Have a chat with your dietician to review your current diet to ensure all you’re eating is nutrient rich, low fat, low sugar, low carb. I presume you are tracking & logging your food. It’s easy to misjudge portion size & food mass if you’re just eyeballing it or to misunderstand nutritional content. I still do random checks of what & how much I’m eating.

Are you taking any medications that have weight gain as a possible side effect? I was stalling out a lot and for long periods like you then I discovered that one of my meds can cause weight gain. I'm off it now and within 2 days of quitting it I'd lost 3lbs. Something to look into.

I may not be hitting my Protein goal. I've been eating veggie heavy Soup and possibly over estimating my protein. I'll see if that's the issue. Thanks so much for everyone's insight!

I eat between 800 and 1100 cals
Fat free As possible
Sugar free as possible
Try hard to do fat around 30g
100 to 120 protien
Drink around 120 fluids
And take all my vitiams
And go to gym 3 to 4 times a week for about 1 1/2 hrs. Plus active at work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m a week shy of 3 months and I’m in the 800-900 calorie range and I’m losing consistently.
My Protein is around 100, Total Carbs under 50, Net Carbs usually 30 or less. Sugar under 20.

Protein is the focus, I don't always manage to eat vegetables. (I'm trying, but it might only be like 1 or 2 broccoli florets.)

An update - I increased my Protein to 75 gram per day. I started seeing some scale movement from 281 to 266.2. I ate a little fruit and stopped losing. Should I avoid all fruit? Do I need more protein?

Edit. 281 to 276.2. I've been at 277 past 2 days.

I am not sure about your Doctor but fruit is definately not on my list of foods to eat. Most fruits have a very large amount of sugar in them and will become carbs. I stay clear of fruit.

1 hour ago, Dame21 said:

An update - I increased my Protein to 75 gram per day. I started seeing some scale movement from 281 to 266.2. I ate a little fruit and stopped losing. Should I avoid all fruit? Do I need more Protein?

Some of us are more carb-sensitive than others. The sugar in fruit is natural, but it's still sugar. When I was in the weight-loss phase, I would add a few berries to my yogurt sometimes and that was it because I would stall if I ate much more than that.

I also found Protein Bars slowed my weight loss way down. I don't know why, but when I cut them out, it picked back up again. Try going super basic for a while (unprocessed meat, veggies, fats) and see if you begin losing. Then you can add things to try to identify if there is something specific that is causing you to stall. That was how I realized protein bars were the culprit (even though I counted those calories and factored them into my total).

Are you staying hydrated? Dehydration can also slow things down. And then the slow loss could just be natural to your body and metabolism. After a lifetime of dieting, my body is really good at adjusting its caloric needs if I start restricting calories. But it can't do it forever. Stay with it, on 800 calories, you have to start losing sooner or later.