Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Beauty Premium

We have all likely experienced some sort of discrimination while being obese. However research is proving that there are positive and negative financial effects to being perceived as normal weight vs overweight.

https://www.psypost.org/2021/08/deep-machine-learning-study-finds-that-body-shape-is-associated-with-income-61683

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0254785

Did obesity affected your income?

Did it improved after WLS?

Edited by GreenTealael

Interesting article - Thank you.

I think for many people obesity CAN and DOES affect income. I have to ask "why" though in many cases. Is it because we were perceived as "fat and lazy" or is it because others do? Let's face it - When you're obese, you often DON'T have the energy or stamina to keep up with someone else who's fit. The other side of that, when you're obese in the workforce, you may try harder so that you're recognized for your work vs. your size.

As someone who fell into both of the above categories. I have been successful at work over the years by proving that I could take on just about anything thrown at me. On the other hand, I know there are opportunities that I've missed because of my weight/size. For a period of time, I thought I would like to be on the demo team at work, but self-realized that wasn't a possibility because: 1 - I'm not sure I could physically keep up with other team members, and 2 - I would have looked like &#*% in the "uniform" (everyone matched on demo days). Honestly, I never even applied for the position. Alternately, I proved myself elsewhere and I have risen in the company to a senior management position. Perhaps it would have been sooner had I been thin? I really don't know. Now, as a normal sized person, I do see more opportunities at work, but I believe that's MY confidence rather than what some would perceive as discrimination.

One thing I think that happens is that in life, many people are beat up for being overweight and lack self-esteem. They use weight as an excuse to be disappointed rather than just going for it. When I say "excuse", please don't take that as an insult. So many overweight people have food issues because of crappy lives and it's the one thing they CAN control. It's a vicious circle and in no way meant as criticism. I was lucky - I have an amazing and supportive family so my issue was simply that I love food - It wasn't a coping mechanism. I feel like that is the reason my income wasn't directly assoicated with my weight.

That was a thought provoking abstract. I wasn’t sure where it was published or if it had peer review. I did factor in having a more successful career path when choosing WLS. The perception that a professional looks like they have their life together would urge a boss to notice the good work. Yeah, it’s totally not fair. The flip side could be true too. I think about great leaders who were heavy and they had/have power; Fanny Lou Hammer, Winston Churchill, Stacy Abrams, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. I’ll have to see, the thinner me still wants a job promotion by next spring. This was a great question/observation.

I have never suffered in my career due to my weight. I make a great salary and have never had trouble going from one company to another when I felt like the team I was on (or the manager) was just no longer a good fit. And I would always get a raise when I did that. I'm extremely well suited to my career and it's very demanding. Prior to COVID, I flew 2-5 flights a week to cities all over the US working on cancer trials. Since COVID started, it's been a slower pace with less travel, but I still make the same salary.

For me, I always had confidence in myself as an employee and a person. I had no confidence in dating or sports, but to me, those were more about my weight. To me, my ability to be a good employee is about my ability to communicate, solve problems, and be dedicated.

I'm hoping that losing weight will help me have more energy for the short nights and long days on the road and when I travel for fun. Also, I might eventually like to date again... or not.

Well, at some period of my life, obesity became a huge problem. Because of that, I had many real-life issues, starting with the less workspace and ending with people refusing to talk to me because I'm a lazy and not cool-looking guy(especially girls). After I went to the gym, things changed by a high value, I lost around 100kg in 4 years, and now I'm a good-looking guy. Still, I needed to set the Dermal Fillers Toronto on my chest because of the heavy damage during my gym session. Today because I'm unable to go to the gym, I am afraid that my obesity will get back.

Edited by ncizjp

So interesting! I was hired when I was thinner, and have risen in salary since. However, I often wonder if I would have been hired had I applied a few years later when I became obese. Most of my colleagues are thin, especially new hires.

I do believe weight discrimination may be the only acceptable/legal form of discrimination. When I read comments online on other sites, many people believe it’s a matter of willpower, and that people with obesity are lazy (or somehow lacking in character). This could definitely carry over into hiring.