Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain pump🤷🏽‍♀️

I was told after surgery I would go home with a “pain pump”!

One that I had to pay for. I’ve never heard of such a thing. My surgery date is August 18, 2021. If I could just make it 6 more days on this liquid Only regimen. I’m missing food so bad my heart ❤️ hurts.

That sounds nuts to me. See if you can opt out. I took one dose of pain meds the night I spent in the hospital, and that was it. Didn't need any more. Obviously, pain will be different for everyone, but I have never heard of anyone taking a pain pump home? Has anyone here gone home with that?

1 hour ago, DemiW said:

One that I had to pay for. I’ve never heard of such a thing. My surgery date is August 18, 2021. If I could just make it 6 more days on this liquid Only regimen. I’m missing food so bad my heart ❤️ hurts.

I was glad for the pain pump. It helps keep your tummy numb. I came home with mine and was instructed to remove it three days later. I think they are very common now for WLS surgery.

The liquid diet is super hard and very trying at times, but you can do it! I was on liquids for 15 Days and once it was over I was so glad. I had surgery on July 15 and yesterday I got to move to normal foods. Just try to remember this is temporary.

Huh! That's interesting!

I had one in the hospital, but they didn't send it home with me. They just gave me some pain pills (which I don't think I even opened - i really had very little pain)

That was my experience, too, catwoman. Maybe things have changed? They offered me a pain pump during recovery (at the hospital) and I opted out. I did take one injection of pain meds before going to sleep the night I spent in the hospital and had a pretty restful night. But yeah, that one shot was the only pain medication I took other than a few tylenol. I was comfortable...very little pain. Pain meds give me Constipation like crazy, wanted to avoid them as much as I could.

Edited by Creekimp13

I woke up from surgery with some pain meds in me and after I told them I was on very little pain they switched me to Tylenol at the hospital. They sent me home with something mild which I never took. I can’t imagine the need for a pain pump unless you have a complication or something. I mean. I do know someone else who had fhe surgery who had a lot of pain and had to ask for stronger pain meds and by all means if you need them take them, but I can’t imagine that oral pain meds wouldn’t be enough.

16 hours ago, DemiW said:

If you are missing food so badly, just drink a ton of Water and eat some sugar free Jello or sugar free pudding. It helps to be able to eat something, anything. You can do it, don't give up. Read a book or watch a movie to get your mind distracted.

I stayed in the hospital 4 nights but did not have a pain pump, although they did give me pain medicine any time I needed it. I had more trouble with nausea than pain and once I went home I did not need the Percocet they gave me.
It sure can't hurt to have a pump when you go home though.. Better to have it in case you do have pain. Good luck!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Never had a pain pump at hospital or at home. Just meds. I never experienced any real pain - may be lucky maybe just good meds. I remember I took one of the super strong pain meds on the morning of day 4 & never took a thing afterwards. Don’t actually think I needed it that morning. Just took it to keep up the schedule. I didn’t take any of the oxy I was given after my gall removal after the one I was given the morning after my surgery before I was discharged.

But yes, everyone experiences pain differently. Just seems an unnecessary additional charge when they an prescribe pain meds if you need them. If you can’t swallow them, just crush in a little of your Protein Shake.

Good luck with your surgery.

My surgeon used tramadol, but after the first 24 hours I talked the nurses into just giving me Tylenol.

I found the tramadol made it hard to think / converse / walk - once I was off it, I was much more clear headed.

I stayed in the hospital 4 nights but did not have a pain pump, although they did give me pain medicine any time I needed it. I had more trouble with nausea than pain and once I went home I did not need the Percocet they gave me.
It sure can't hurt to have a pump when you go home though.. Better to have it in case you do have pain. Good luck!

wow, 4 nights? Did you have complications? Did you have RNY or VSG?

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

wow, 4 nights? Did you have complications? Did you have RNY or VSG?

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I actually had the Loop Duodenal Switch, which is still a fairly new procedure, and my surgeon automatically keeps you 3 nights for it. I have a sleeved stomach with bypassed intestines. I didn't have any surgical complications, but I was very nauseated and vomited old blood the first few days, which can happen, and as a result I could not complete my swallow test the first 2 times I tried. I threw up the contrast every time. So they kept me an extra night just to be safe and the day I went home I was so much better and had a pretty uneventful recovery. My pain was never bad at all, except 10 days post op I had back pain that the Dr. Thinks was a kidney stone, but I because a day later I had blood in my urine.
Really though, besides the nausea, this surgery wasn't bad at all! I would do it again in a second!

No pain pump, the only pain med I had at the hospital I had to drink, which kinda sucked but whatever.

I would personally opt out, but I am not a huge fan of pain medicine in general. And if it cost out of pocket I would definitely- I am cheap as hell!

I was hooked up to a pain pump right after the sleeve surgery. I had to be in the hospital for a couple days. I was given a prescription for some liquid opiates to take at home. I think it was oxycodone. Not pills though. It was liquid. I took it with a syringe in 5ml doses. It worked good. I was hurting for about a 5 days, at home, but that stuff just knocked me out. Then I started recovering and stopped taking that stuff. Pain effects people differently. I had the sleeve surgery in 2014. Almost 8 years. I feel good. I eat whatever I want but not very much at one sitting. Sometimes I forget that I had this surgery and I'll be eating with friends and family, the food is so good and I'm talking and enjoying myself, and then I feel it hit me. It's like, "oh **** I ate too much". I have to go throw up. When I get back to the table I dont eat anymore, I just talk. I say I'm full, thanks. Nobody knows. It's happened about 5 or 6 times over the past 7 and a half years. Its weird, after awhile you just forget that you had this thing. I get an upper GI every 3 years. I have a precancerous issue with my esophagus. That's why insurance approved the surgery. So my stomach is scoped and a biopsy is taken and sent to the lab. So far so good. I'm 62 now.