Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had sleeve gastrectomy on 6th of August.....3 days ago! I' m a little sick but the operation has gone very well. The problem Is i don't recognize signs of hungry or eat too fast. i have often stomach pain like a rag squeeze into it. This happens when it's time to eat the MEAL or also after, so......what i have to do? Can you help me?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using BariatricPal mobile app

First of all, congrats on your surgery! I am pre-op, so certainly not an expert, but are you following your programs post-op guidelines? I noticed you mentioned eating a "meal" but 3 days post op seems awfully early to be eating really anything. I think most programs recommend a clear or full liquid diet for at least the first week or two. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, taking any pain meds as prescribed, and you follow your plan exactly as outlined by your doctor. Remember, this was a major surgery, so there will certainly be pain, but it should subside as you heal, but some level of pain immediately post-op is normal. As for hunger pains, some people have them, and some do not. It will take time for you to learn your new stomach and adjust accordingly. That's why it is so important to follow your plans guidelines. I hope that helps!

Finally. My surgery was august 2nd. I have that same squeeze. I honestly believe it’s my queue to get something into my stomach as I’m not feeling hungry but I know I have to fuel my body. Today I’m following the exact scheduled (suggested) outlined in my book and I feel less of the squeeze.

Try to get your Protein in and sip liquids throughout the day whether you want to or not (within limit).

First of all, congrats on your surgery! I am pre-op, so certainly not an expert, but are you following your programs post-op guidelines? I noticed you mentioned eating a "meal" but 3 days post op seems awfully early to be eating really anything. I think most programs recommend a clear or full liquid diet for at least the first week or two. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, taking any pain meds as prescribed, and you follow your plan exactly as outlined by your doctor. Remember, this was a major surgery, so there will certainly be pain, but it should subside as you heal, but some level of pain immediately post-op is normal. As for hunger pains, some people have them, and some do not. It will take time for you to learn your new stomach and adjust accordingly. That's why it is so important to follow your plans guidelines. I hope that helps!
Thank you for your words. I" m following guidelines that include clear fluids, 30 gr of proteine that i must spread in every drink because i have to achieve the quantity and they are like bricks in my stomach and the MEAL Is 5tablespoon of broth with an entire homogenized meat 80gr.

Finally. My surgery was august 2nd. I have that same squeeze. I honestly believe it’s my queue to get something into my stomach as I’m not feeling hungry but I know I have to fuel my body. Today I’m following the exact scheduled (suggested) outlined in my book and I feel less of the squeeze.
Try to get your Protein in and sip liquids throughout the day whether you want to or not (within limit).
Thank you, i thought the same because the proteine with the meat &the broth Is too much. I like protein in milk. But i have It only once a day. Should i shake protein with Water? It's disgusting but for no added calories i must do It![emoji853]

2 hours ago, kiara said:

Thank you, i thought the same because the proteine with the meat &the broth Is too much. I like Protein in milk. But i have It only once a day. Should i shake protein with Water? It's disgusting but for no added calories i must do It!

2 hours ago, kiara said:

Thank you, i thought the same because the proteine with the meat &the broth Is too much. I like protein in milk. But i have It only once a day. Should i shake protein with Water? It's disgusting but for no added calories i must do It!

I would ask your doc. I do liquid, Protein Shakes and whey protein in Bone Broth or blenderized, strained Soups. I’m just 1 week out.

5 hours ago, kiara said:

… MEAL Is 5tablespoon of broth with an entire homogenized meat 80gr.

What is homogenised meat? Or is that an auto correct word change lol?

My surgeon was fine with me not hitting my Protein & fluid goals to begin. As long as I was working towards the goals each day. The first two weeks, I wasn’t eating 300 calories a day - a Protein Shake & 200mls of Soup that’s it. It was enough. I had heaps of fat to keep me going for months! 😉 But that was me. Some consume way more.

While on liquids you won’t feel ‘full’. Liquids go through the tummy quickly plus your nerves have been damaged during the surgery. In a few week when you’re more healed & on soft & more solid food you’ll start to feel ‘full’ again.

But it’s best to eat not until you’re full but have had enough. There’s a difference. Plus it’s really important to eat slowly. It takes time for the message you’ve had enough to get through so when you feel full, you’ve likely eaten more then you need. I still ask myself do I need the next bite or do I just want it.

The squeezing feeling could be acid building up in your tummy. It can also can make you think you're hungry. Were you prescribed an esomeprazole?

Good luck & congrats on your surgeries.

you likely won't have hunger or full signals for awhile - many of us don't. You had some nerves cut during surgery that take awhile to regenerate - and in addition, hunger hormones are suppressed (for most of us, anyway) for the first few months. Just follow your clinic's food plan and you're good. You'll start feeling restriction once you move to solid food - and hunger usually comes back sometime during the first year post-surgery.

you likely won't have hunger or full signals for awhile - many of us don't. You had some nerves cut during surgery that take awhile to regenerate - and in addition, hunger hormones are suppressed (for most of us, anyway) for the first few months. Just follow your clinic's food plan and you're good. You'll start feeling restriction once you move to solid food - and hunger usually comes back sometime during the first year post-surgery.

It goes better, thank you! [emoji272]