Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your biggest obstacle

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

I think I am a somewhat slow loser too. It could be a good thing, more time for skin to bounce back as we lose. Im trying to be optimistic.

Yes, hopefully that will be a benefit of losing at slower pace. 🤞🦥🐢

I'm 1 Year post op now, and my biggest struggle has been not being able to eat as many veggies as I'm used to, not being able to have carbonated Water, and not being able to drink with meals. Overall, it has gone much easier than I expected though, and these minor things are worth it.
I do also struggle with being more hungry and craving sweets before my period. Normally sweets don't tempt me, but I crave them like crazy when my period is coming.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

59 minutes ago, STLoser said:

I'm 1 Year post op now, and my biggest struggle has been not being able to eat as many veggies as I'm used to, not being able to have carbonated Water, and not being able to drink with meals. Overall, it has gone much easier than I expected though, and these minor things are worth it.
I do also struggle with being more hungry and craving sweets before my period. Normally sweets don't tempt me, but I crave them like crazy when my period is coming.

Yea it’s hard to believe that we are ever going to be able to consume the amount of veggies we are supposed to and not drinking with meals is odd but a pretty small price to pay IMO. I only want my Coke Zero when I think about having a real drink which surprises me cause I used to drink it all day but I just don’t miss it except for with booze. I tried rum with crystal light and it’s just not the same. Like why bother it tastes so bad.

Don’t worry @STLoser, @shoppgirl & @SummerTimeGirl, you will eventually be able to eat more fruit & vegetables. Just slowly incorporate more. At the beginning I could only eat 2 or 3 green Beans or a small floret of cauliflower. I started adding heaps of vegetables to Soups, omelettes, bolognaise, etc. as well. Now I easily eat a good cup of mixed vegetables like green beans, asparagus, broccolini, sugar snap peas, etc. every night. I also eat lots of lettuce (it’s a slider for me). I have blueberries with my rolled oats every morning & another serve of fruit most nights. (Fruit is a good snack, a natural sweet substitute. Plus high Water content & fibre.) I get 4-5 serves of fruit & vegetables in every day.

Yogurt is high in Protein & was a handy & easy source for me (mine gives me 15g yoghurt tub or 22g yoghurt drink). I still eat it as an afternoon snack almost every day or sometimes I dice up fruit to add to the yoghurt & eat it as dessert.

Every little bit counts.

Edited by Arabesque

Don’t worry [mention=385446]STLoser[/mention],@shoppgirl & [mention=394341]SummerTimeGirl[/mention], you will eventually be able to eat more fruit & vegetables. Just slowly incorporate more. At the beginning I could only eat 2 or 3 green Beans or a small floret of cauliflower. I started adding heaps of vegetables to Soups, omelettes, bolognaise, etc. as well. Now I easily eat a good cup of mixed vegetables like green Beans, asparagus, broccolini, sugar snap peas, etc. every night. I also eat lots of lettuce (it’s a slider for me). I have blueberries with my rolled oats every morning & another serve of fruit most nights. (Fruit is a good snack, a natural sweet substitute. Plus high Water content & fibre.) I get 4-5 serves of fruit & vegetables in every day.
Yogurt is high in Protein & was a handy & easy source for me (mine gives me 15g yoghurt tub or 22g yoghurt drink). I still eat it as an afternoon snack almost every day or sometimes I dice up fruit to add to the yoghurt & eat it as dessert.
Every little bit counts.

That makes me feel better. I don't mind giving up my carbonated Water and not drinking at meals , but I've always been a huge veggie lover . And even if I never could eat many again it's still all worth it , but I want to be able to eat a mostly normal about of them . I tried to eat a healthy variety of foods before even though it was obviously too much , so that is important to me.
I eat yogurt every day too. I have it for lunch , and usually again later as an evening snack . I have been able to put a few blueberries or raspberries in it and still finish it so that's good. At a year out I am able to eat more , which is scary and good at the same time ha ha !

I have carbonated Water almost every day but I let it go flat or near flat. Pour out a big glass in the morning & sip it over hours. I always drank heaps of water but I find it can be a little heavy now so I mix up my sips of plain water with flat sparkling water (I enjoy the minerally taste).

PS - I’m not good with carbonation. The gas gives me bad hiccups. Always has so it’s just not a sleeve thing for me.

I’m 2 weeks post op and my biggest struggle is all the freaking commercials.. every channel there’s delicious looking food on it.. even TikTok seems to just be nothing but delicious monstrosities being made!! I’m just sitting here sipping my clears and eating my jello.. and all the while everyone else in the house eat what they want and when you’re already thinking you’re starving of course everything they eat looks way better than it is.. then they have the audacity to have crumbs in the corner of their mouths lol..

I have carbonated Water almost every day but I let it go flat or near flat. Pour out a big glass in the morning & sip it over hours. I always drank heaps of water but I find it can be a little heavy now so I mix up my sips of plain water with flat sparkling water (I enjoy the minerally taste).
PS - I’m not good with carbonation. The gas gives me bad hiccups. Always has so it’s just not a sleeve thing for me.
I actually like the fizziness of the carbonation. I do like the mineral taste too , so maybe I could try letting it get flat . I was always a big water drinker too.
I am allowed occasional carbonation now, but I have taken sips and it just doesn't feel right in my stomach , so for now I'm avoiding it. I do miss it though!
At least I can still have my regular eater and coffee though!

On 8/9/2021 at 4:03 PM, lizonaplane said:

I'm still pre-op... I'm dreading/fearing the emotional changes because I have bipolar disorder and my meds are totally stable but I know this will be throwing me a curve ball as my hormones go crazy when I'm losing weight. I'm also dreading/fearing possible diarrhea from eating random things. I spent years with IBS/diarrhea from my meds and it's so terrible to not know when you'll need to find a bathroom IMMEDIATELY.

I am scared of emotional changes as well. I have major depressive disorder with suicidal thoughts and tendencies. My doctors have been excellent in managing my medications and I have an amazing therapist. Hopefully it is enough to keep the dark thoughts away.

It ok to scared. For the first time, I asked for the hospital chaplain to see me before surgery.

I will be thinking of you and praying for the best for you!

On 08/11/2021 at 14:17, ShoppGirl said:

I think I am a somewhat slow loser too. It could be a good thing, more time for skin to bounce back as we lose. Im trying to be optimistic.

I am a slow loser since surgery. I lost over 50 pounds in the 4 months getting ready for the surgery. I TRY not to get down on myself about it, but it’s hard not to!

For me, the biggest issue is waiting an hour after eating before drinking (supposed to stop drinking 30 min before eating, which I usually do, but sometimes that is more like 15-20 min). I knew it going in but I didn’t realize how difficult it would be. I honestly thought not drinking while eating would be harder. But after I eat, I feel like I am watching the clock for that hour to pass, especially once I get past the first 20-30 min.

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Don’t worry @STLoser, @shoppgirl & @SummerTimeGirl, you will eventually be able to eat more fruit & vegetables. Just slowly incorporate more. At the beginning I could only eat 2 or 3 green Beans or a small floret of cauliflower. I started adding heaps of vegetables to Soups, omelettes, bolognaise, etc. as well. Now I easily eat a good cup of mixed vegetables like green Beans, asparagus, broccolini, sugar snap peas, etc. every night. I also eat lots of lettuce (it’s a slider for me). I have blueberries with my rolled oats every morning & another serve of fruit most nights. (Fruit is a good snack, a natural sweet substitute. Plus high Water content & fibre.) I get 4-5 serves of fruit & vegetables in every day.

Every little bit counts.

Thanks so much! Glad to hear it does change/get easier. This is what my dietician said too. So I guess for now I'll just keep working on it here and there where I can. Thanks!!!

I’m just gonna say that diarrhea has never been a problem for me- quite the opposite. 😒

No problems with fruit or vegetable intake here- I probably eat more than I did pre surgery.

My biggest obstacles are eating too much at night (for whatever reason I come home and that’s just the non stop eat fest in my head), keeping all snack food out of the house (keep that temptation at the grocery store!) and being patient as weight loss slows down. It goes at such a breakneck pace for the first few months that you start feeling like something is wrong when you start “only” losing 2 or so pounds a week. I’m 17 lbs from goal and in the first few months I was losing that every few weeks- now I’m hoping to get there by November at this rate.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:54 AM, Tremiller1990 said:

I’m 2 weeks post op and my biggest struggle is all the freaking commercials.. every channel there’s delicious looking food on it.. even TikTok seems to just be nothing but delicious monstrosities being made!! I’m just sitting here sipping my clears and eating my jello.. and all the while everyone else in the house eat what they want and when you’re already thinking you’re starving of course everything they eat looks way better than it is.. then they have the audacity to have crumbs in the corner of their mouths lol..

Maybe invest in netflix for a few months. No commercials.