Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Days post-DS Surgery problems with Protein Shakes

Hey y'all my first post but I'm just over a week out and I'm having issues keeping down Protein Shakes. I've tried both Premier Protein, that I used pre-op and had no problems, and one of the muscle milks. But I'm feeling gassy and Nauseous almost immediately after sipping either one for a few minutes. Anyone have any advice. I'm struggling to get really any Protein at this point.

That is exactly how I felt. The Premier Protein shakes (all flavors) made me feel horrible and therefore I was unable to ingest them easily. I found that clear Protein Drinks were what worked for me. Especially Isopure powder (berry and tropical flavors). They have it on Amazon, I suggest getting a shaker bottle too if you don’t already have one.

I also use an unflavored Protein powder to mix in with my food and morning Decaf coffee. I can get ‘Orgain Grass Fed Hydrolyzed collagen Peptides Protein Powder’ at my local grocery (HEB) and Amazon.

Good luck and I hope you get back to your protein goals!

Edited by SarahMan80
Wording

Try a variety of brands and flavors, both in ready-made shakes and powders. I prefer the plant-based Protein Shakes to those that are whey-based. Orgain makes a killer chocolate Salted Caramel, and Purely Inspired is good in strawberry, Chocolate and vanilla. Bariatric Advantage even has some Soup flavors. Isopure is clear fruit-flavored Protein Powder, which I mix with Crystal Light or other sugar free flavored drink I.e, half a glass of one mixed with half a glass of the other. GENEPRO makes a flavorless Protein powder that can be added to soup, coffee, pudding, etc.

There is endless variety! Walmart usually has a fairly decent selection. You can order products online. Do read the Nutrition Data before buying.

It could be a sensitivity to dairy. Some develop a temporary intolerance of dairy after surgery. Try some plant based Protein Shakes like @Sunnyway suggested & see how you go.

some people become lactose intolerant after surgery (sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently) - and some people develop an intolerance for certain types of artificial sweeteners, so I'd suspect one or the other...

Some folks swear by Fairlife Protein Shakes (personally, I prefer Premier, but ymmv).

There are numerous brands and flavors of high Protein drinks, both ready-made and powdered. I find the plant-based shakes more palatable than the whey based. Try a variety of products. I never heard of the one you posted. Try Bariatric Advantage, Purely Inspired, GENEPRO, Orgain, Quest, etc. Walmart usually has a good selection or you can google search for "high protein shakes". ALWAYS read the nutritional data before buying. You want something with at least 20 g protein, and low sugar/carbohydrate. There are even high protein Soup powders. I've tried the ones from Proti Diet, and Bariatric Advantage.

Stay away from Protein Bars. They reinforce a snacking-candy bar habit. Unfortunately, they and other snack type food are sold on the bariatric merchant sites, but they are on the slippery slope to returning to old bad habits.

Thanks, everyone. I grabbed a couple Fairlife ones to try. I think it may be a dairy thing but we'll see. I also order some other Protein powders and we'll see.

I can’t do Protein Shakes like premier or fairlife. The fairlife is easier on my stomach than premier, but they both make me gassy. I was tired of forcing myself to drink them and suffering after. I have cases of it in my pantry and my husband gets gassy from it too. I bought so many whey Protein powders from here and elsewhere and all of them make me bloat and gassy. I finally found a protein Water my stomach likes. It’s called bipro protein water. They don’t sell it here and so I have to order it and it’s pricey. But honestly, it’s the only whey Protein Drink I can stomach.
Try different drinks, but don’t buy cases of it or big bags of powder. It’s a waste of money if you can’t eat it.

good luck!

Try the shakes room-temperature if you have been taking them chilled, or chilled if you have been taking them room temp. I've noticed that there is a difference. You might try diluting them with fat-free milk or Water. I find the plant-based shakes and powders easier than the whey-based. Examples: Orgain and Purely Inspired brands. Or try flavorless powder from GENEPRO (or another brand) in liquids you do tolerate.

Hopefully you will be past the need for Protein Shakes and powder soon.