Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Tuesday during Delta restrictions

I'm having Gastric Sleeve on Tuesday at Cedars-Sinai Marina Del Rey with Dr. Davtyan. My Mom is even flying in from the East Coast to be with me, however, the hospital just called today and said the new Delta variant restrictions mean no non-patients, even family, can enter the hospital. I never dreamed I'd be doing this alone! What should I bring? What is too much? How am I going to feel trying to get home the next day? Pretty nervous at this point, but have lost 26 lbs on the pre-op diet so hopefully liver size won't be an issue.

Eeeek.

Hello! I'm sorry things are being complicated by this. However, I went to my surgery all by myself and I didn't have any problems at all. I actually drove to the hospital and checked myself in. I figured with my phone I could stay connected to anybody I want to outside of the hospital. Actually though, the first day after surgery I was so knocked out by the anesthesia and the anti nausea medications that I just wanted to sleep or veg out. The next day it was just busy with different nurse visits and educational visits, then a bunch of walking around. Then it was time to get my stuff together and wait for my ride to pick me up. I just brought a backpack with some lip stuff, the Biotene mouth spray, a brush, toothbrush, my phone, a charger, and an extra pair of underwear. I just wore the clothes I had arrived in home the next day. That was more than enough stuff. I hope everything goes okay and I'm glad your mom will be there to help you out afterwards.

My mom was my driver. She dropped me off and picked me up. That was all that was allowed. I had my phone, so I was able to keep in contact. It wasn’t that bad. Nurses were super nice where I went. In my case I was released same day.

You will be great! You don't need much, as you will sleep pretty much all day/night following the surgery. I wore clothes to the hosp, changed into my gown, then the next day put my same clothes back on again. You don't even need to bring a toothbrush as they will give you one, unless of course you prefer your own toothbrush!

Best of luck to you!!!

1 hour ago, MistySkye said:

My mom was my driver. She dropped me off and picked me up. That was all that was allowed. I had my phone, so I was able to keep in contact. It wasn’t that bad. Nurses were super nice where I went. In my case I was released same day.

Released the same day? I didn't think that was even an option! It sounds like I'll just bring my phone and kindle, plus I'm guessing my CPAP mask and such. I can't wait to lose enough weight to not need THAT anymore.

Yup. I had the Gastric Sleeve, my surgery was at 11 am. I was released by 7:30 pm. (Had follow up with surgeon next day in his clinic) If my surgery had been in the afternoon I would have stayed overnight.

I also slept most of the time I was in the hospital. My husband was there, but he was on his laptop most of the time since I was sleeping. It'll be great having your mom at home the first few days after the surgery - I think that's when you'll most appreciate her presence. You'll be much more alert - and she can help you with whatever needs to be done.

I would have honestly preferred to have no non-patients allowed. It would have been easier.

My mom came with me, and I'm afraid it was a terrible experience for her. I vomited for 6 hours after surgery (due to anesthesia...I TRIED to tell them it would happen if they used gas, but they didn't listen) and when I wasn't puking, I was sleeping. The nurses tried to ask her a bunch of questions I could have easily answered before surgery, but they never asked (like questions about cultural practices, religion, etc.). My wife came after work (she absolutely could not have the time off due to starting a new job just before my surgery) and I barely knew she was there. I saw her when she came in, then slept the entire time she was there, and she had to wake me up to say goodbye at the end of visiting hours. The day after surgery was better, I was less nauseous and could sit in the chair and talk to my mom for most of the day, but I could have easily entertained myself that day if she hadn't been allowed in.

As for what to take...not much. I took my toiletry kit (I did shower in the morning at the hospital, so I was happy to have my own Shampoo, soap, etc.), chapstick, phone and charger, and an extra pair of undies to wear under the same clothes I arrived in the day previously.

Good luck with your surgery!

Hi! I had my surgery at the Tarzana Cedars Sinai surgical center and We weren’t able to have family or anyone in. Honestly I’m kind of glad because the lack of energy post surgery would have been too much.. all I wanted to do was sleep and walk when I could .. plus you’ll probably be on pain meds .. but the nurses will take awesome care of you!! I was only planning to stay one day but decided to stay overnight because of how sleepy I was. I didn’t really bring anything and I was totally fine .. :) 

How did it go?

4 minutes ago, Caerie said:

I'm doing good! Everything went well and they did a hital hernia repair as a bonus. Overnight in the hospital now.

Awesome. Just sip, walk, repeat. Lol