Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 45+ year old women on here with gastric bypass experience?



Recommended Posts

I’m 62 and scheduled tomorrow. I know it’s not going to be easy but it’s better than feeling the way I do now. Good luck to you!

56 minutes ago, kathyann1234 said:

I’m 63 scheduled November 8 for gastric bypass. Been thru the classes. Won’t say I’m not a little worried. Doing this for my healthcare. Anyone my age doing this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had RNY surgery last Oct. I was 61 yrs old at that time. 62 now, and of course I am now at 1 yr post op 100lbs gone so far. You will do fine! Follow your plan and take it 1 day at a time Best of Luck!

Edited by WendyO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 63 at time of my bypass surgery 3 years ago last May. I lost 150 pounds in about 18 months. I have regained 30. But have leveled off. I am restarting my liquid diet to restart weight loss. I feel great most days however I still have an occasional dumping.
All in all I would have it done again if I knew all of this. Wish I had it done decades earlier though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2021 at 2:11 PM, timmytommy said:

I'm 48 and in the beginning phases (dietician visits and tests) of bariatric surgery. I am probably getting the RNY. A lot of posts that I see are from younger women (which is great!), but I'm concerned that the weight will come off slower now that I'm older. Especially since menopause is probably around the corner. Could you share your stories (successes or challenges), so I could get an idea of what things look like for women close to their 50's. Thanks!

I just had a sleeve to RNY revision due to severe reflux and a large hiatal hernia. I had sleeve surgery at age 50. (I'm 62 now) I lost 93 lbs from my pre-surgery weight. I reached my goal and went five lbs below for a 'pad'. I stayed at or below goal for 8.5 years. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hips, ended up on thyroid meds for a while and then Covid. Grazing and less walking put on 40 lbs. (I was NEVER a gym rat, actually I never did any formal exercise) Take advantage of the honeymoon period. Follow the rules, I highly recommend logging your food. It will help you make better choices. I stopped doing that after shoulder surgery and it was a downward spiral. I'm back to logging! This was medically needed, but since I had to do this, I hope to lose and keep off between 25 - 30 lbs. I had surgery the day after Thanksgiving, I'm down 17.5 lbs since my pre-op diet weight. Good luck!!!

Edited by StratusPhr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2021 at 1:24 PM, Grammyrusty said:

I was 63 at time of my bypass surgery 3 years ago last May. I lost 150 pounds in about 18 months. I have regained 30. But have leveled off. I am restarting my liquid diet to restart weight loss. I feel great most days however I still have an occasional dumping.
All in all I would have it done again if I knew all of this. Wish I had it done decades earlier though.

I had surgery the day after Thanksgiving. I'm still on the liquid diet until this coming Friday. Tell me about dumping. What does it feel like and what causes it for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2021 at 1:55 PM, terigetshealthy said:

I’m 62 and scheduled tomorrow. I know it’s not going to be easy but it’s better than feeling the way I do now. Good luck to you!

Hi, I'll have my surgery in about a month. I'm 68. How was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldandtired said:

Hi, I'll have my surgery in about a month. I'm 68. How was it?

Honestly, it was rough in the beginning — constipation and really bad gas pains (nothing from the surgery). Once I got that figured out and passed the two week mark it got better every day. And when I added more foods and being able to walk a little and not being tired all the time, it’s been a blessing. Good luck to l look forward to hearing your progress! And message me if you want. 💗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, StratusPhr said:

I had surgery the day after Thanksgiving. I'm still on the liquid diet until this coming Friday. Tell me about dumping. What does it feel like and what causes it for you?

I know not sure if what I had was dumping (I’ve had the “foamies”) but I get it with leftover meats (chicken, roasted pork) I think because the meat dries. I thought I chewed enough but it sat in my chest like a brick and all of a sudden, I started burping and up the foamy mucus came. It’s nothing like regular vomiting. I now reheat with a little broth and that seems to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am 52 and this past October I am at the three years surgiversary RNY .Yes, it can be a little of a roller coaster compared to when I was younger because of menopause and slower metabolism, but it’s doable. I find I have to cut the carbs a lot and I have stalls my lowest was 175 but i am still in the 80s . I lift a lot of weight so a few extra pounds I noticed when I start lifting weights like five pounds if I stop for a few days I noticed I weigh less . The temptation is always with certain foods once I eat them I dump or have heart burn so I don’t touch some foods but it’s a challenge and hard work nothing is easy about this journey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumping for me is nausea , metallic taste in my mouth , stomach ache and am unable to digest what I eat it sits on top of my pouch until I take a digestive enzyme or it goes away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2021 at 5:08 AM, terigetshealthy said:

I know not sure if what I had was dumping (I’ve had the “foamies”) but I get it with leftover meats (chicken, roasted pork) I think because the meat dries. I thought I chewed enough but it sat in my chest like a brick and all of a sudden, I started burping and up the foamy mucus came. It’s nothing like regular vomiting. I now reheat with a little broth and that seems to help.

Sounds like foamies. I got those a lot the first couple of months, the pressure is sooo painful ugh. I'm going on my fifth month and rarely get them now. Dry meat gets me almost every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Sounds like foamies. I got those a lot the first couple of months, the pressure is sooo painful ugh. I'm going on my fifth month and rarely get them now. Dry meat gets me almost every time.

Thank you! I’m hope I’m like you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2021 at 8:24 AM, terigetshealthy said:

I’m 62 and will be having bypass surgery on 10/25. I’m so happy for this next chapter to begin.

How are you doing? I have surgery the day after Thanksgiving. whey Protein smell is killing me. I'm supposed to be on Clear Liquids, but I started RTD Quest Protein Drinks a couple of days ago. I couldn't do the other, and found myself doing very little. Decaf coffee and tea both taste different, not bad, just I don't enjoy them now. I put the Benefiber in a hot cup of coffee every morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StratusPhr said:

How are you doing? I have surgery the day after Thanksgiving. whey Protein smell is killing me. I'm supposed to be on Clear Liquids, but I started RTD Quest Protein Drinks a couple of days ago. I couldn't do the other, and found myself doing very little. Decaf coffee and tea both taste different, not bad, just I don't enjoy them now. I put the Benefiber in a hot cup of coffee every morning.

sugar free ice pops, chicken broth helps too. There’s a clear Protein Drink that’s 20 grams of Protein i had to Water it down it’s super sweet to me. You can make your own broth with chicken and veggies too, just strain it.

I’m better, but it wasn’t fun in the beginning. Things still don’t taste right to me but today I was so happy to finally drink a whole cup of coffee. I didn’t have to drink Decaf after I went to full liquids. I actually like Peets decaf it helped me that week I had to. Once I started eating more food I wasn’t as tired anymore, thank goodness. I would sit and just fall asleep like I had narcolepsy. 😂😂.

You can’t drink Premier Protein? I hated whey protein though and I used to like it. I want to try it in the blender with Peanut Butter powder and half a banana. Someone know said it’s good so I’ll give it a shot.

Every day is better. Just remember sip sip sip and keep moving. I felt almost normal by The end of the fourth week. I had 16 here for Thanksgiving, too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Tomo said:

Sounds like foamies. I got those a lot the first couple of months, the pressure is sooo painful ugh. I'm going on my fifth month and rarely get them now. Dry meat gets me almost every time.

Foamies, I was told when I was in the hospital foamy's is actually throwing up even though after bariatric surgery (rueny) you can't actually throw up (I was told) . And ask for sugar-free items keep those very very limited as you know how bad most sugary placements they use in products are so bad for your gut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Wanda Northern  »  SpartanMaker

      Good luck on your upcoming surgery. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Wanda Northern  »  Slwhurst

      Good afternoon. We’re Scorpio sisters. My birthday is 11-08. I live in Memphis, TN. My surgery date is Monday September 26th, 2022. I begin my liver shrink diet on Monday September 12th. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Wanda Northern

        Robert Wegner with Saint Francis will be doing my surgery.

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      My 3 babies and my little "niece". Took on a babysitting job this past weekend. She is super tiny compared to my 3 biggies. Sitting on command for treat-os!
       
      Pre-op Liquid - Day 2 
      It was very hard today...I'm feeling some type of way from not eating the meals I was supposed to before the pre-op diet. My sister got stuck in Dallas a week before my diet and we were supposed to go on a nice dinner, but that never happened. I have super bad dry mouth and bathroom breaks are more frequent. 
       

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Pre-op Liquid Diet - Day 1
      Had my morning cup of 8 oz Regular Orange Juice. I am ready!!! I did have 3 bites of my fiance's cheesecake last night for dinner. It was so yummy but with my former sleeve it didn't allow me any more bites.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Tim in Tampa

      Just started my pre-op diet today!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×