Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 45+ year old women on here with gastric bypass experience?

On 8/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, Laurie C. said:

Did anyone else lose their cravings? I'm in shock that I now struggle to figure out what I want to eat now!

I got VSG ..and ya, no real cravings, at least compared to before surgery. It’s weird. I’m 48, and down just over 40 lbs in 3 months. It has been steady, no real stalls (at least when you compare week to week)....and going into this I thought for sure my age was going to work against me and I wasn't going to lose. I have not hit menopause yet.

Hi Laurie I turned 53 five days before my surgery. I am doing well so far. Surgery was 16th down around 25 lbs since the one wk liquid diet. Just trying follow my Dr advice. Unfortunately I do still have my cycle n had some anemia preop. I am concerned about my Iron levels in upcoming wks since my cycles r so horrible. Felt like I couldn't lose 10lbs on my own pre surgery but seems my tool is working. I don't think our age will negatively impact us.

Sent from my SM-G981V using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m 64 now, and had RNY surgery 8 years ago when I was 56. My surgeon told us that you have a window of about 1 year to 18 months to lose the weight you want - thereafter the ghrelin levels in your stomach and gut (which are disrupted by the surgery) increase. Ghrelin is known as the ‘hunger hormone’ because (amongst other things it does) it triggers hunger. Shortly after RNY surgery you may feel hungry, but this soon passes and you have a ‘honeymoon’ period where you don’t, where you need to build up to a health and sustainable diet. The other thing is that your tiny pouch will stretch in time (the stomach acts as a muscle) and if you consistently eat too much you’ll get a bigger appetite back. It is unusual, but not unknown, for someone to put all the weight back on that they lost from RNY surgery. Of course, why do that to yourself? Probably because you have not sorted out an unhealthy relationship with food.

Another thing I was told was to exercise, to prevent muscle loss and encourage weight loss. To be honest I didn’t do enough of this. However, from BMI of 35.7 and weight of 190lb (at 5’ 1”) I dropped to my lowest weight of 105lb and BMI of 19.7 at 14 months after surgery. That was nearly half my bodyweight lost. I stayed at 112lbs or under until April 2015, when very, very slowly I put on a bit of weight over each year, I guess as my appetite and tolerance grew. By January 2021 I had been just under 140lb for 3 years, but wished I could be less. Then came cancer treatment and radiotherapy to my entire abdominal area. Left with nausea and no appetite at all, I gradually built back up to eating a healthy diet. I lost 16lb in a few weeks with sepsis in March, but after recovery have lost more through cutting back on carbs and walking every day, to get back to my prime 112lb - and this is where I want to stay!

It may be harder to lose weight after the menopause but the equation is still the same - too much food in and not enough energy out = slow inevitable weight gain; keeping to what you need (or slightly less) and more energy expended = slow loss. We have a wonderful tool to help us achieve this - which is very hard for an individual with a normal stomach. Plus we have absorption issues, and potential to suffer if we eat too much fat and sugar (especially at once). We can use this tool to achieve our goal, and use it alongside lifestyle changes to maintain it, whatever our age.

😊

Edited by Jacks133

On 8/15/2021 at 10:15 AM, Lisa LoVuolo said:

I am 45 and had the gastric bypass to help me. Has anyone almost passed out from the heat

Sent from my U693CL using BariatricPal mobile app

Here in the south you just stay inside 😁

51, RNY 7months out, lost 97 to date, 34 to goal. I am a slow loser but very happy with my results.

Hi Laurie I turned 53 five days before my surgery. I am doing well so far. Surgery was 16th down around 25 lbs since the one wk liquid diet. Just trying follow my Dr advice. Unfortunately I do still have my cycle n had some anemia preop. I am concerned about my Iron levels in upcoming wks since my cycles r so horrible. Felt like I couldn't lose 10lbs on my own pre surgery but seems my tool is working. I don't think our age will negatively impact us.

Sent from my SM-G981V using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the ablation surgery when I was 45. I had heard a co- worker talking about having her's done and I wanted it! They dissolve the lining of your uterus so you don't have "your menstrual cycle" any more. Lol I was done having children and done having periods!! You can still get pregnant, so you still have to use birth control. But best decision ever! So freeing!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m 64 now, and had RNY surgery 8 years ago when I was 56. My surgeon told us that you have a window of about 1 year to 18 months to lose the weight you want - thereafter the ghrelin levels in your stomach and gut (which are disrupted by the surgery) increase. Ghrelin is known as the ‘hunger hormone’ because (amongst other things it does) it triggers hunger. Shortly after RNY surgery you may feel hungry, but this soon passes and you have a ‘honeymoon’ period where you don’t, where you need to build up to a health and sustainable diet. The other thing is that your tiny pouch will stretch in time (the stomach acts as a muscle) and if you consistently eat too much you’ll get a bigger appetite back. It is unusual, but not unknown, for someone to put all the weight back on that they lost from RNY surgery. Of course, why do that to yourself? Probably because you have not sorted out an unhealthy relationship with food.< br> Another thing I was told was to exercise, to prevent muscle loss and encourage weight loss. To be honest I didn’t do enough of this. However, from BMI of 35.7 and weight of 190lb (at 5’ 1”) I dropped to my lowest weight of 105lb and BMI of 19.7 at 14 months after surgery. That was nearly half my bodyweight lost. I stayed at 112lbs or under until April 2015, when very, very slowly I put on a bit of weight over each year, I guess as my appetite and tolerance grew. By January 2021 I had been just under 140lb for 3 years, but wished I could be less. Then came cancer treatment and radiotherapy to my entire abdominal area. Left with nausea and no appetite at all, I gradually built back up to eating a healthy diet. I lost 16lb in a few weeks with sepsis in March, but after recovery have lost more through cutting back on carbs and walking every day, to get back to my prime 112lb - and this is where I want to stay!
It may be harder to lose weight after the menopause but the equation is still the same - too much food in and not enough energy out = slow inevitable weight gain; keeping to what you need (or slightly less) and more energy expended = slow loss. We have a wonderful tool to help us achieve this - which is very hard for an individual with a normal stomach. Plus we have absorption issues, and potential to suffer if we eat too much fat and sugar (especially at once). We can use this tool to achieve our goal, and use it alongside lifestyle changes to maintain it, whatever our age.
[emoji4]
Sorry to hear about your cancer. Hope you're in remission! 112#? I don't think I was even that weight in high school and I had a great figure back then! Lol.

That is fantastic! Glad you are doing ok. 😀

April 29th 2019 at 44 with lifelong chronic illness/disability, already had hysterectomy at 35, metabolic disorders, inability to exercise due to post exertional malaise from M.E. I was already utilizing tools of low carb low calorie yet my weight skyrocketed and I was just lost. Finally came the tool of Gastric Bypass (had to have my gallbladder removed at the same time) I was strict, eventually found it helpful to keep a daily log of weight, food, calories and Protein. I reached goal by March 2020. As a lifelong tool it is very beneficial. I do not think age is a factor. Perhaps menopause can be in some ways for women but otherwise this is the Gold Standard ... never see it as a diet but a change for life and it will take you far.

I had the ablation surgery when I was 45. I had heard a co- worker talking about having her's done and I wanted it! They dissolve the lining of your uterus so you don't have "your menstrual cycle" any more. Lol I was done having children and done having periods!! You can still get pregnant, so you still have to use birth control. But best decision ever! So freeing!

Sounds like something I need to look into. Dr said VSG surgery releases some extra estrogen cells hence extra pain. Whew the cramps were worst than VSG surgery. Glad had most Meds left took them n went to sleep. Know my husband was [emoji4] I was finally quiet.

I'm 53 and am supposed to have my RNY in November. I have been through menopause. I got thrown into it when I had a TAH with OOPhorectomy.
I had a uterine ablation and it didn't help me at all. I had some major issues though. My sister was the same way. It failed her too.
I used to be able to lose weight...100 pounds at a time, but that was so long ago.

Hi @timmytommy, I’m 53 , post-menopause, and lost 72 lbs pre-op which was 11 months. Weirdly no weight loss at all during the liquid phase before surgery, no idea why. As soon as I had surgery (RNY) the weight has peeled off. Just 13lbs the first month but I’m elated! I can move so much easier. I compare it to WW when .5 a week was a victory. I know I loose slowly, but I feel like all the tracking, measuring, and exercise NOW makes a difference.