Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 45+ year old women on here with gastric bypass experience?

I'm 48 and in the beginning phases (dietician visits and tests) of bariatric surgery. I am probably getting the RNY. A lot of posts that I see are from younger women (which is great!), but I'm concerned that the weight will come off slower now that I'm older. Especially since menopause is probably around the corner. Could you share your stories (successes or challenges), so I could get an idea of what things look like for women close to their 50's. Thanks!

50 y/o. VGS 3/5/21 down 64 since surgery and 94 since the first of the year. If you stick to your plan and exercise ( I walk and have a rower) You will lose weight! Best decision I have ever made.

I had RNY at 53 for medical reasons not related to obesity even through I was over weight. I lost 70 lbs in about 8 months.

I was 46, and feel like I lost at the same pace as most others on here. Best decision I ever made. Good luck!!

I had RNY at age 55. Lost 100% of my excess weight (over 200 lbs). It was slower than average, yes, but I was very committed to my program and far exceeded my goal.

Edited by catwoman7

Had mine at 43. I’m 46 now. Lost all my weight too. I still have to monitor myself and keep myself in check but for me it keeps me accountable. You can do it😊 keep us updated

On 8/6/2021 at 3:11 PM, timmytommy said:

I'm 48 and in the beginning phases (dietician visits and tests) of bariatric surgery. I am probably getting the RNY. A lot of posts that I see are from younger women (which is great!), but I'm concerned that the weight will come off slower now that I'm older. Especially since menopause is probably around the corner. Could you share your stories (successes or challenges), so I could get an idea of what things look like for women close to their 50's. Thanks!

Hi. My name is Laurie. I had the rny bipass surgery 11 months ago. My one year date is 9/14/20. I am 57. I have lost 132# to date. I have 38# to go to hit my goal weight. Everyone says how great that is, but having low stuff esteem, I think of it as a bad thing because I had that much to lose in the first place! That is more than some people weigh all together! I can't believe I let this happen, but I was in a bad marriage. I don't really have an appetite any more, but the hardest problem for me is the not being able to eat and drink at the same time. I get so dehydrated! It's so hard to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink. Sometimes I have a couple sips anyway because I am so thirsty and can't wait. I end up throwing up. Not good for your health, but on the good side, it's only a tiny amount, so it's worth it to me. I used to drink a huge tumbler glass with all my meals, at least. I am tired of Water. I am lactose intolerant, but suffer through it because I'm tired of water and end up not losing as much as I should because I'm drinking my calories. I am starting the process of a double knee replacement surgery and the skin removal surgery. It's not as bad as I thought, but I want the skin gone. With my living arrangements and health, I have not exercised at all. But I would do the surgery all over again in a heart beat. I can't believe I'm not craving food! I thought that would have been the hardest part. In fact, there's probably under 15-20 things I can eat that agree with me. I had only one problem five days out. I had to go back in for another surgery for aspiration pneumonia. Was throwing up blood big time. Other than that, I'm working on me and finally getting a life because I've been a hermit for probably 20 years because of my weight! If your doctor recommended the rny, do it. I'm so glad I did! Sorry so long a post. My first one. Just joined. Really need a support group.

Edited by Laurie C.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:11 PM, timmytommy said:

LOL, I’m 60 in Houston! Your as young as you feel.

I’m 43. . . Is that too young? But my surgery was in 2003 so I don’t know if the experience I have is relevant.

I'm 52 and had the gastric sleeve surgery about 3 months ago. Down about 50lbs including the pre-surgery weight loss. That said, I am working out daily and keeping my calories low. The big difference is that my motivation to loose is high because I am seeing success on the scale. Still had to push through a long stall but so far it has been worth it. Still have at least 40 lbs to go.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app