Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It happened- I got canceled

I literally posted about this a couple weeks ago. I was worried that with surging covid cases, they would shut down the elective surgeries again. My surgery was scheduled for tomorrow. This morning about 10 am, the nurses called me to give me instructions for pre-surgery. Then they called me at noon to tell me they were canceling me.

The worst part is that my husband lost his job, and I’m losing my insurance. This isn’t going to happen for me. I’m devastated. I’ve been crying since they told me. I don’t even know what I’m supposed to do now. I’ve been on liquids for a week. I just feel like.... I have jumped through every one of the hoops for this insurance. I waited months the first time the hospitals were shut down. Finally got a consult. Finally got a date. Made it to THE DAY BEFORE.... I just don’t even know.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm guessing it will happen to many people, probably me too. I'm sorry that you won't have your insurance to help you once they open back up again. That's so rough. I hope you find a way.

Oh, what rotten news. I'm so sorry to hear it, and can't even imagine your disappointment.

Im so sorry. I can’t imagine having been delayed by even a day once I had my mind set on my surgery date. The good news is that most insurance companies will take notes from the supervised diet and all the other appointments that you already did so you won’t have to do that part over once you finally do get more insurance. This may seem like the end but hopefully it is just a setback and you will find a way soon.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Ugh. Oh no! I’m so sorry! Don’t give up. You’re husband will get another job. My husband lost his job last December. We were on insurance through the Marketplace —- which did cover bariatric surgery. When you get your new insurance they’ll probably take all your notes etc and hopefully you can pick right up again. Hang in there!!

I literally posted about this a couple weeks ago. I was worried that with surging covid cases, they would shut down the elective surgeries again. My surgery was scheduled for tomorrow. This morning about 10 am, the nurses called me to give me instructions for pre-surgery. Then they called me at noon to tell me they were canceling me.

The worst part is that my husband lost his job, and I’m losing my insurance. This isn’t going to happen for me. I’m devastated. I’ve been crying since they told me. I don’t even know what I’m supposed to do now. I’ve been on liquids for a week. I just feel like.... I have jumped through every one of the hoops for this insurance. I waited months the first time the hospitals were shut down. Finally got a consult. Finally got a date. Made it to THE DAY BEFORE.... I just don’t even know.
Contact Obesity Action Coalition and tell them your story they have grants for times like this.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh man, I did not think they'd start cancelling this soon. So, so sorry, and big hugs to you.

May I ask what part of the country your in?

In my area they are threatening to cancel non emergent surges too

Check your current insurance and see when y’all lose the insurance if you can continue the insurance with COBRA it might cost some money but maybe you can scrap it up for a month or so till the surgery gets rescheduled

Im kinda in same boat - I fear losing my insurance if they postpone my surgery the surgery date correctly is September 14

prayers

13 minutes ago, Tennwife said:

May I ask what part of the country your in?

In my area they are threatening to cancel non emergent surges too

Check your current insurance and see when y’all lose the insurance if you can continue the insurance with COBRA it might cost some money but maybe you can scrap it up for a month or so till the surgery gets rescheduled

Im kinda in same boat - I fear losing my insurance if they postpone my surgery the surgery date correctly is September 14

prayers

I’m in Southern California. My county is booming, so it’s a county-wide shut down. I really, really hope this doesn’t turn into a state-wide thing. It’s just so... frustratingly preventable?

1 hour ago, ColieCallwell said:

I am so, so sorry! Maybe it's just a day by day thing? Did they tell you they would reschedule you first since you were so close? You could also consider financing...?

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

They did say that they would schedule me back as soon as they could, that I’d be at the front of the line, since I was among the very first canceled. I’m not going to hold my breath, but I’m trying to maintain a little hope.

Hopefully they can get you rescheduled before your insurance runs out. It can take a couple of months for your insurance to truly be finished. Maybe carry on as though you still have insurance...??? (Don't be suspicious, don't be suspicious...) I'm in Northern California...my surgery is scheduled for the 26th in Sacramento. I keep waiting to hear that mine will be cancelled.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine being that close to it and then it being taken away:( I am so sorry. But don't lose hope! I agree with the person who mentioned the cobra too. Or even the financing if at all possible. Or even try for state insurance if unable to do the others, not sure exactly if they do it in your area but I know they do in Tennessee with the right company. So if you go that route make sure you do your research first so they put you in the right plan. Good luck to you!!! ♡

Sent from my SM-G981U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so sorry to hear that...I can imagine how devastating this feels.

When I saw that you were in Southern California....I immediately thought about Mexico. If you are losing your insurance, would Mexico be an option for you in terms of price?

I say this not knowing the state of how easy or what restrictions are for travelling to Mexico, but I know it can be cheaper (especially if you won't have insurance). There is a whole section devoted to travelling to Mexico. Perhaps you can do some research while things get sorted :)

Wishing you the Best!