Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dietician visit and pre op diet

Hey there! Hope you all are having a lovely day/night.

I have my first dietician visit tomorrow where they'll do some blood work, take my weight, check my metabolism etc.

I'm not even scheduled for wls until after October 2021. I'm wondering what the diet will be like until then. Is it the liver shrinking diet for a couple of months or is that just a couple weeks before surgery?

Anyone know what kind of diet they put you on and will I have to buy a bunch of specialty Protein powders?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well everyone's plan and office is different. My insurance/doc did NOT require me be on any sort of diet (or lose or maintain any sort of weight) as I waited for surgery. But I decided to put myself on a low carb/no sugar diet just to get used to things for after surgery. It helped and I lost like 18lbs in the few months before surgery.

When it came to the liver shrinking diet, mine was for11 days BEFORE the surgery. It was all liquids, and 5 Protein Shakes a day (they of course suggested what they carry in the office but I just did Premier) and some of certain veggies. NO meat at all. But again, everyone's plan is different.

Did they not give you any info yet? I know when I first called and expressed interest, even before I met with the surgeon for the first time, I was immediately sent a binder of info on the different kinds of surgeries, what happens before and after surgery, the diet afterwards, recipes, the diet before, info on Vitamins, etc.

Hey! Thanks for your reply. I had a consultation with the surgeon who just gave me info on both surgeries and the dangers of being obese but no nutritional information. He said I have an eating disorder and need to get that treated before we can proceed with surgery but he didn't recommend me any services, just said to meet with a dietician twice a month until October and get a Psych evaluation. I'm already in therapy and psychiatry for depression and eating behaviors.

They only mentioned it'd be a lot of Protein Shakes since I'm a vegetarian anyway.

I've been on a 1500-2000 cal diet for the past 3 weeks and have lost 10 lbs but it's just calorie deficit and exercise, cutting out most sugary things but still eating carbohydrates.

Wondering how different the diet will be even though I'm not getting surgery anytime soon. I'm super nervous for some reason and I hate all the unknown factors. It makes me so anxious not knowing what's expected of me. :(

But i know I'll learn more tomorrow. Just checking what the diet is like and how restrictive it is in terms of macro nutrients.

I hear about being anxious with not knowing. Sadly, no matter what we tell you about our own plans and experiences doesn't mean that will be how yours is. Ya know? But at least it can give you some sort of idea.

My surgeon's office/plan whatever you wanna call it, was so easy!! Everything was planned and spelled out for me ahead of time. They made all the appointments with the nutritionist and psychologist. Ones who work with their office (although I could go to alternatives if I wanted) so I didn't have to go searching for any on my own. The only things I did have to do on my own was set up and get my pre medical testing done. And even that was easy as I was able to get it all done at one time at an out patient facility. I also had to do my "homework" which included watching MANY video on the surgery, diet, psychology, etc. and then answer questions on said videos.....all of which I had to pass in order to move on through the process. I know they said Covid made things different and hard but IMO it made it easier cause I did most of this stuff, but for the medical tests, from the comfort of my home via calls and/or videos or via website when it came to the videos and tests. No trucking around from appointment to appointment or class to class. It all went smoothly and quickly for me.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

Ah, okay! Sounds like it was nice and clear for you but you definitely put the work in. :D

I hope to get more info tomorrow and just roll with it. Really hoping I have it in me to do this. I'm so ready for a change but always so scared of failure although it doesn't further me to think that way.

From what I gathered most of it will be virtual except the initial consultations and the checks ins with the surgeon. I'm still working hard on my own to make peace with my eating habits. Hope this diet supports it.

Thanks again for sharing. It's nice to be able to talk about this.

I have to agree that asking for what the "plan" will be on here is pretty useless, because each surgery center is so different. It really bothered me, because there should be some evidence-based medicine happening - but then, I work in clinical trials in cancer, where they have protocols for everything that are standardized across hospitals.

I know that I wasn't asked to lose weight before my surgery, but a lot of that is dependent not just on your surgery center, but also on your insurance. However, I wanted to make sure I got used to eating in a more healthy way to "practice" for life after surgery, so I started eating lower carb (I still eat a lot of fruit) and higher Protein. I've lost about 45 lbs and I've been less hungry than on previous weight loss attempts when I just cut calories. I'm eating about 1400 a day, on average. However, if I lose any more weight, I will not qualify for surgery, so I'm going to relax my eating until it's time to start my official "shrink the liver" diet at the end of the month. Many/most people have a liquid diet, but I just have to do ultra low carb/low fat high protein with low fruit and lots of veggies.

I get it that the hard part is not knowing and not being able to plan. It took six months for me to get my surgery date, due to backlogs from COVID and the surgery center being short-staffed. Hang in there, and read as much here as you can. Be careful not to take anything as Gospel, either here or anywhere else on the internet, unless it's a hospital or professional website, like mayo.org or ASMBS.org.

I definitely am learning there's no one journey. I'm not using insurance because mine doesn't cover it. Most of this was just Doctor's orders (I.e. being on their diet for 3 months).

I'll keep working on it and continue my reformation. Thanks for your response!

the one- to two-week liquid (mostly or totally liquid) is required by the surgeon. Although not all surgeons require them.

the three- to six-month professionally supervised diet is required by many (but not all) insurance companies. With mine, the only requirement they had was that i meet with a doctor or dietitian once a month to discuss my diet. The dietitian I was working with put me on a 2200-calorie healthy diet, and we gradually changed things up so that eventually I was eating the way I would be eating post-surgery (well, at least after the Fluid & puree stages). We gradually increased my Protein and lowered my carbs, I gradually weaned myself off caffeine, added more fruits and vegetables, etc. I lost about 40 lbs on it.

the one- to two-week liquid (mostly or totally liquid) is required by the surgeon. Although not all surgeons require them.
the three- to six-month professionally supervised diet is required by many (but not all) insurance companies. With mine, the only requirement they had was that i meet with a doctor or dietitian once a month to discuss my diet. The dietitian I was working with put me on a 2200-calorie healthy diet, and we gradually changed things up so that eventually I was eating the way I would be eating post-surgery (well, at least after the Fluid & puree stages). We gradually increased my Protein and lowered my carbs, I gradually weaned myself off caffeine, added more fruits and vegetables, etc. I lost about 40 lbs on it.

That's amazing! Congrats!!! I'm hoping to work something out like that with my dietician too. Thanks for sharing.

I’m just starting the journey. Physical therapy appt next week. Don’t see dietitian till next month. My plan only requires that you eat 1400 cal or less diet for 2 weeks before surgery. I was so thankful it wasn’t liquids only