Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you looking forward to ?

What are some things you are looking forward to doing/being able to do AFTER you've lost a significant amount of weight?

OR

What are some things you've finally been able to do now that you've lost a significant amount of weight?

I finally got my surgery date and I'm having a hard time thinking of goals for myself, because I'm able to do most things I want to do, other than fit into "standard" size clothes and walk up several flights of stairs without getting winded. There are things I'd like to be able to do "Better" - fit "better" in an airplane seat, walk faster, do harder hikes, etc. Did anyone else have this issue?

I think what I'm most excited for is when I finally get out of the plus size section and can shop in so many different places. I'm so tired of the overpriced plus size clothing and the ugly options they give!!! I'm also curious to see how differently I'm treated when I'm out and about. I've heard it's quite the adjustment. I'm also looking forward to having more energy to go out and do things like hiking, fishing, camping, amusement parks, rides etc. I was pretty down and unmotivated and I'm really looking forward to feeling excited to go do things again.

I was most excited to get off some or all of my medicines (Lisinopril for HP, Metformin for Insulin Resistance and PCOS, Hydrochlorothiazide for BP). I also wanted to prevent becoming a Type 2 Diabetic. Sadly during my pre-testing for surgery I discovered I was just over that threshold (6.7).

I had my surgery on May 19th at which time the surgeon took me off the Hydrochlorothiazide. Three weeks later my family doc cut my Lisinopril dosage in half and only once a day vs twice. I'm hoping by next month to be cut down again of the HP meds or maybe even totally off of it and hopefully the Metformin too. And hopefully my A1C has returned to normal too. Fingers crossed.

I have an entire list.

- Go off all my meds (BP meds, hormone meds, etc.)

- Maybe lose my CPAP.

- Fit in a kayak.

- Run a sub-10 mile.

- Do a pull-up.

- Go back to being able to ride horses.

- No more seatbelt extenders on airplanes.

- No more sitting down gingerly to see if the chair will hold me.

- Increased mobility (palms on floor)

- No more "we'd like a table, not a booth, please"

There's more but that's the big stuff.

I had low standards lol. For me I was excited to fit into non plus sized clothing (I used to be a 34 in US womens jeans. I'm now a 12), when I had my blood pressure taken at the doctors office I wanted them to be able to take it on my upper arm like a normal person instead of having it on my wrist because it didn't fit my upper arm, when I had to do tests at the doctor's I was looking forward to not having to ask for a plus sized gown anymore, to being able to fit into the back seat of a car again (the seat belt in the back seats used to never fit me. it made family road trips difficult), to being able to sit in a booth at a restaurant again, to not get out of breath walking for more than 5 minutes, etc. Those were all the things I looked forward to most. And I've met all of those goals.

- hike with my 8yr old without dying trying to breathe and my legs killing me.
- potentially not need the cpap machine anymore.
- take my son horseback riding because I won’t be over the weight limit.
- be able to breathe easier as an asthmatic.
- break up with food addictions and teach my son to love healthy food.

So many! My surgery is in about two weeks and I feel like I need to make a formal list to help get me through any potential rough spots. Here’s what I got so far:

- be able to play tennis with my son
- be able to get off the floor without feeling like I’m going throw every bone and muscle in my body into spasms lol
- fitting comfortably into an airplane seat and not having the person next to me wince as they see me coming
- being able to fit comfortably into amusement park rides
- no longer worrying if a chair will support me
- more mental bandwidth to think of things other than food and my weight (hopefully!)
- shopping in the normal section
- feeling more attractive to my husband and enjoying our time together more
- being excited for vacations vs slightly dreading them because of how uncomfortable I feel about myself and avoiding photos, etc
- feeling confident going anywhere and not constantly worrying about running into someone I haven’t seen in a while

The list for me goes on and on, but the biggest things were :

-reversing my fatty liver disease
- being able to be active with my son
-improving my asthma
-being able to walk without sweating and getting short of breath
-getting off the BP meds I had just started
-fitting in my seat belt and my stomach not touching the steering wheel
-being able to perform my personal hygiene without a struggle
-fitting into chairs, booths, etc.
-fitting into smaller clothes. I was a size 32. I'm a 16 how bordering on 14 and hoping to get smaller!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, AshleyS said:

I think what I'm most excited for is when I finally get out of the plus size section and can shop in so many different places. I'm so tired of the overpriced plus size clothing and the ugly options they give!!!

My motto for plus size shopping has been "I'm fat, not blind!" for exactly this reason lol. I'm excited to figure out what my style actually is, right now I just pick the least ugly thing that doesn't cling to my belly.

Also looking forward to more comfortable travel and the ability to do tons of activities without stressing over weight limits!

8 hours ago, mamabear_2_2 said:

- fitting comfortably into an airplane seat and not having the person next to me wince as they see me coming

Oh yeah, that wince is awful. Like we're not mortified enough already.

So many! My surgery is in about two weeks and I feel like I need to make a formal list to help get me through any potential rough spots. Here’s what I got so far:

- be able to play tennis with my son
- be able to get off the floor without feeling like I’m going throw every bone and muscle in my body into spasms lol
- being able to fit comfortably into amusement park rides
- no longer worrying if a chair will support me
- more mental bandwidth to think of things other than food and my weight (hopefully!)
- shopping in the normal section
- feeling more attractive to my husband and enjoying our time together more
- being excited for vacations vs slightly dreading them because of how uncomfortable I feel about myself and avoiding photos, etc
- feeling confident going anywhere and not constantly worrying about running into someone I haven’t seen in a while
All of this too!

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

My motto for plus size shopping has been "I'm fat, not blind!" for exactly this reason lol. I'm excited to figure out what my style actually is, right now I just pick the least ugly thing that doesn't cling to my belly.
Also looking forward to more comfortable travel and the ability to do tons of activities without stressing over weight limits!
Same! I had a Weight Watchers leader once refer to Lane Bryant as Lame Giant, lol.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

On some of these I don't recall if they were a pre-op goal or not:

Health issues resolved; New health issues revealed;

Buying normal sized clothes;

Riding rides (I was way too large). Boy have I ridden the rides;

Getting into a bathtub. With room for my wife;

I wanted to run, just to do it. I ran 5 marathons, one of which was the San Francisco Marathon where I got to run across the Golden Gate bridge;

Chairs no longer vex me. Flying is an option without the belt-extender parade;

Horseback riding with wife on vacation;

Kayaking on vacation;

Sex. There, I said it;

I now do housework and all the cooking;

Rode a bike to work for a few years;

Can tie my own shoes while I am standing;

Honestly, so many things of which I never thought;

I wanted to dance but I still lack rhythm. Weight loss doesn't solve everything;

Kids still make me anxious.

People no longer walk into walls, poles, etc. staring at me.

People don't automatically get out of my way now.

I wanted to dump, and I do. Occasionally it's a real pain in my arse.

Good luck,

Tek

5 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

People no longer walk into walls, poles, etc. staring at me.

There's always a drawback, even to WLS. ;-D