Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post VSG Regrets?

Two and a half years out, I have no regrets at all. The process has its ups and downs, but at no time have I ever wished I didn't do it. I'm normal-sized for the first time since I was about eight years old. Things that used to be a struggle, I can do without thought now. I got stuck in a middle seat on a five-hour flight and I was REALLY dreading it. But when the time came, it was really no big deal. Sure, I'd rather have a window or aisle, but it wasn't the catastrophe it would have been when I was at my top weight. Because I had been heavy since childhood, I still find surprises every day as I learn to navigate the world in my new body. I even enjoy being able to walk into a room and not stand out because of my size. Maintenance is a learning curve for sure - sometimes I get too relaxed and gain five pounds and then I'll overcorrect and lose eight, LOL. But it's all good and I'm figuring it out.

I didn’t really have any post op issues. Woke up feeling like I did about 1000 crunches. They decreased my pain meds to just Tylenol in hospital and I went home the next day needing nothing. I did get a bit dehydrated though and went back to hospital as an outpatient to get fluids. It’s was not a big deal at all. They just sit you in a recliner and hook you up and give you a couple bags of Fluid. I was already starting to be able to take in more fluids so I was good to go after that.

Three years out, 75 lbs. gone, no regrets at all on my gastric sleeve surgery. I eat lots of fresh fish and fruit and veggies. It freed me from obsessing about food. ✨

Yes. Lots of regrets but most of it is psychological. I found a bariatric therapist that I'll start seeing next week so I'm hoping to learn better coping mechanisms and a better insight on my weight loss blues. 7 months after surgery about 80 pounds lost and I should be ecstatic. My knees dont hurt anymore I can walk without my feet hurting and stairs are no longer a dreaded force of terror. I should mention that I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder before surgery and I thought it was under control but faced with not being able to have comfort coping foods old symptoms flared up. Going to get over this Bump in the road though and once I do I'll probably have no regrets. Wish you all the best on your journey.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 2.5 months out and I wish I had done the RNY instead of Gastric Sleeve.

31 minutes ago, tinabontrager said:

Are you OK? You can probably still get it if you keep feeling that way or get GERD.

I'm only one week out, so I don't have much experience, But I was really nervous about being dehydrated, because I also drank A LOT of liquids before surgery and was worried about the "tiny sips" I kept reading about. Yes, the first few days it was terrible... tiny sips would be painful. But now a week out I am able to take whole mouthfulls of Water. I can't guzzle down a whole water bottle or anything, but it's a huge improvement in just a week. I'm getting well over 64 oz of water a day now, and I am in no danger of getting dehydrated at this point.

37 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I'm only one week out, so I don't have much experience, But I was really nervous about being dehydrated, because I also drank A LOT of liquids before surgery and was worried about the "tiny sips" I kept reading about. Yes, the first few days it was terrible... tiny sips would be painful. But now a week out I am able to take whole mouthfulls of Water. I can't guzzle down a whole water bottle or anything, but it's a huge improvement in just a week. I'm getting well over 64 oz of Water a day now, and I am in no danger of getting dehydrated at this point.

Same. I was able to drink 1/3 oz. (10 ml) at a time immediately, and now can swallow enough where I don’t need the medicine cups anymore six days later. I still go slowly and separate by 4-5 minutes but if I’m parched then I can take small sips every minute or two until I catch up. The last two days I’ve been getting 70-80 oz of water and 90-100g Protein. It can be done (Isopure is your friend!)

On 9/19/2021 at 12:03 PM, tinabontrager said:

I'm still undecided on surgeries. Would you mind explaining your regrets for getting a sleeve?

No regrets whatsoever! Had Surgery December 2019.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:15 AM, SummerTimeGirl said:

No regrets! I'm already off half my medication and losing at a good pace and NOT having any issues. Never have, thankfully.

I think my biggest issue is gonna be all the extra skin when it's all said and done (having some already and still have about 80 lbs to lose). And sadly I don't think I'll ever be in the position to afford removing it. THAT is my only worry, I'd say, more than a regret.

Well, from what I have read, insurance MIGHT cover it. You didn't say if you had insurance, but if the skin is in the tummy area, and it droops, causing a rash, it may be covered. Big IF. but if what I have said is something you are experiencing, may be worth a shot. Good luck!

On 8/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, SleevedK said:

4 years post-sleeve, yes, I do regret it. The sleeve has a pretty high rate of revisions to gastric bypass in the long run due to either really bad acid reflux or inadequate weight loss. It also makes you more likely to get a hiatal hernia post-operatively, which may not sound like a big deal, but it has had a real effect on my quality of life. I didn't have a hiatal hernia until after the sleeve.
Knowing what I know now, I would have never had bariatric surgery in the first place, because I was quite healthy in spite of being fat and bariatric surgery made my quality of life worse instead of better. However, if I did want to go through bariatric surgery, I'd rather get the RNY. At least the RNY has stood the test of time over many decades and cures acid reflux instead of making it worse like the sleeve does.
Personally, I would only recommend bariatric surgery to people who already have health issues from being fat. Then it is worth the risk that the surgery might create its own problems.

I agree 100%. I under went VSG in 2015 at the recommendation of my surgeon. I was initially looking into getting RNY but he stated since I was young and without children, it would be best to undergo the sleeve procedure. However, I'm 7 years post op, experience severe GERD, regained a good portion of my weight loss (my fault completely) and am now in the self pay bucket for revision as my current insurance under my employer outright refused any type of bariatric surgery.

I'm not saying all this to scare anyone, I'm just saying DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU. I wish I would have put my foot down on the decision between VSG vs RNY but all and all, I did it and it is what it is. It works for some, but not for all. Unfortunately I fell into the "not for all" and it was definitely USER error. I can't speak on it, but I feel I would have had a better success rate with RNY vs VSG which is why I'm looking into the self pay option for the revision surgery.

I would say to anyone looking into bariatric surgery to RESEARCH and ask a lot of questions at appointments/support groups. In the end like I said, do what is best for you. 😁

On 08/08/2021 at 20:53, kristieshannon said:

Zero regrets. I’m two years out as of next week. Down from 286 to just over 140. Off all meds, off CPAP. Life is good as a fit, healthy person.

You had the sleeve surgery and lost that much weight? No issues losing?

On 10/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, newsam1154 said:

I agree 100%. I under went VSG in 2015 at the recommendation of my surgeon. I was initially looking into getting RNY but he stated since I was young and without children, it would be best to undergo the sleeve procedure. However, I'm 7 years post op, experience severe GERD, regained a good portion of my weight loss (my fault completely) and am now in the self pay bucket for revision as my current insurance under my employer outright refused any type of bariatric surgery.

I'm not saying all this to scare anyone, I'm just saying DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU. I wish I would have put my foot down on the decision between VSG vs RNY but all and all, I did it and it is what it is. It works for some, but not for all. Unfortunately I fell into the "not for all" and it was definitely USER error. I can't speak on it, but I feel I would have had a better success rate with RNY vs VSG which is why I'm looking into the self pay option for the revision surgery.

I would say to anyone looking into bariatric surgery to RESEARCH and ask a lot of questions at appointments/support groups. In the end like I said, do what is best for you. 😁

Sorry that you have had a hard time. I am especially sorry to hear you are struggling with the horrible post-sleeve acid reflux. That is one of the things I hate about the sleeve: that it is basically a huge gamble that you won't be one of the unlucky ones who has hellish acid reflux after the surgery.

If you are not able to get the RNY covered as a bariatric surgery, you may want to see if they can appeal it as being necessary for the acid reflux. After all, severe acid reflux is a health risk. We have had some threads here about other ideas on how to deal with the acid reflux, especially if you do in fact have a hiatal hernia :

On 10/27/2021 at 14:52, AmyB2006 said:

You had the sleeve surgery and lost that much weight? No issues losing?

Nope. Some brief stalls but pretty consistent loss all along. Now two months past my 2 year mark I’ve dropped another 5 lbs. I’m now making a concerted effort to maintain. I’m happy, healthy, fit, and have zero ill effects from surgery. I followed the plan I was given, I now eat a slightly higher carb content diet, but still focus on Protein first.