Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

101 pounds GONE pic included

Thanks a ton for the detailed and informative post. You're a great help and inspiration to newbies like me.

A few more questions to pick your brain a bit.

1. How much did you lose during the liquids only phase.

2. What phase in your opinion contributes to the max weight loss.

3. Did you experience brain fog and general weakness post surgery. How many days did it last.

4. Any more advice for me 😁

19 hours ago, TheBusierBee said:

Thanks a ton for the detailed and informative post. You're a great help and inspiration to newbies like me.

A few more questions to pick your brain a bit.

1. How much did you lose during the liquids only phase.

2. What phase in your opinion contributes to the max weight loss.

3. Did you experience brain fog and general weakness post surgery. How many days did it last.

4. Any more advice for me 😁

1. My program had me do liquids for 2 weeks pre-surgery and I think it was 10 days post surgery. I think I lost 7 lbs presurgically during liquid phase and 13 lbs in the liquid phase post surgically for a total of 20. That is going to be different for everyone depending on your starting weight etc.

2. A lot of weight is lost during the liquid phase but it is also done for proper preparation and healing of your stomach. I personally think the choices you make once you can begin eating solid food is the most important because this is where you are making the choices/changes that will hopefully change your habits for the long term lifestyle change. I also think the liquid phases are not real life- you have a list with very specific things you can/cannot eat. Once you are on solid food you have recommendations to follow and must choose to avoid the things that contribute to weight gain. I did however keep some of the tricks from the liquid phase (sugar free popsicles, sf Jello, broth, Protein drinks/shakes to fight hunger.

Pre-op I lost 29 lbs from my first surgery consult until day of surgery. (27.3% of the weight lost)

Post-op I lost 13 lbs during the liquid phase after surgery (12.3% of the weight lost)

64 of my 106 lbs has been lost during the soft/solid phase. (60.4% of the weight lost)

3. I personally had no brain fog or weakness/fatigue after surgery. I actually felt very enrgized after surgery. I made sure to get some carbohydrates as permitted by my program in my liquid phase (G2 instead of Gatorade zero to add some carbs). Some of the fatigue/fog can be related to anesthesia. Luckily I recover well from anesthesia, but not sure that is something that can be controlled. I had to take 4 weeks off work because I do heavy lifting at work. I really think that time off was beneficial because that is when I developed a new routine of walking 2 times daily and really had nothing else to distract me from making changes to my eating habits, searched for recipes, had time to shop for all the food I needed, and was able to have reduced stress for 4 weeks. I highly recommend if you can afford to take a few weeks off work to do so in order to get organized/develop new habits/heal properly. 't.

4. Advice- listen to your surgeon/program and follow the program.

I know some people say that exercise is not important, but I really feel that my activity/exercise level is what has contributed greatly to my current weight loss. I also believe there is research indicating that those that exercise regularly have better long term success than those that don't. Exercise is a good way to get away from the kitchen when you are hungry as well as burning calories and improving overall health.

I also learned to roast vegetables which has made a huge difference in my food choices. I used to rarely eat vegetables. I now usually roast green Beans, zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions etc with my protein (chicken, pork, beef, fish).

Learn to read food labels- it now takes me longer to shop because I read the food labels before buying something. Also have found a lot of things at Aldi's that are good choices for my new lifestyle.

Keep seeking support via this group and/or other groups. This is also something that contributes to long term success.

Good Luck on your journey!

Looking good. Now, in the coming months the most difficult part of the journey will be upon you. The maintenance of your weight loss and the continuance of your good health. Many before you have experienced the overwhelming joy and gratitude of such a rapid weight loss. It is such a great experience and due to surgery attainable. In time our bodies start to revert back to some sense of normalcy and the battle to keep the weight off will be a daily struggle. You're doing everything right and all is going to plan, best of luck on your life's battle with weight loss.

We’ll done!!! My SW and GW numbers are almost identical to yours. I’m 5’4” and 54 years old. I’m impressed at how fit and toned your body is, and I am hopeful that I might not have any issues with extra skin.

Did you do anything special—apart from exercising, weights, and so on—to ward off problems with extra skin? My biceps are a concern for me. I would really like to avoid cosmetic surgery to remove extra skin.

I appreciate any guidance you might be able to offer me. And again, congratulations on your great success!

7 hours ago, Danpaul said:

Looking good. Now, in the coming months the most difficult part of the journey will be upon you. The maintenance of your weight loss and the continuance of your good health. Many before you have experienced the overwhelming joy and gratitude of such a rapid weight loss. It is such a great experience and due to surgery attainable. In time our bodies start to revert back to some sense of normalcy and the battle to keep the weight off will be a daily struggle. You're doing everything right and all is going to plan, best of luck on your life's battle with weight loss.

I hear you loud and clear. My weight loss is already starting to slow down. I am hoping that I have a good foundation now for the continued journey. I would like to continue to lose more but it seems it is going to be slow and harder to do as I get closer to goal. Just going to take it day by day meal by meal. Any advice is always welcome!

5 hours ago, imhenryxvi said:

We’ll done!!! My SW and GW numbers are almost identical to yours. I’m 5’4” and 54 years old. I’m impressed at how fit and toned your body is, and I am hopeful that I might not have any issues with extra skin.

Did you do anything special—apart from exercising, weights, and so on—to ward off problems with extra skin? My biceps are a concern for me. I would really like to avoid cosmetic surgery to remove extra skin.

I appreciate any guidance you might be able to offer me. And again, congratulations on your great success!

I am close to you in age- I am 49. I also think I look a lot better with clothing ON than OFF right now so pictures can be deceiving. There is much to be said for a good pair of leggings and a good bra! My stomach, butt, triceps and inner thighs are my current problem areas. They have some loose skin but I accept it is part of the process. I think my Biceps actually look the best , I think they respond well to working out.

I am taking a collagen supplement daily - in hopes that it will help maintain some elasticity with my skin. I have noticed my complexion is a lot better since adding the collagen. Hard to say if it is helping with elasticity since I had to take a month off from the gym since my gall bladder surgery. As my weight loss slows down now, I am going to get back to the gym this weekend and really going to focus on workouts with the goal of tightening up/toning as much as possible. Starting to research body recomposition - building muscle and losing more fat. This will also help with increasing BMR for maintenance.

I am going to continue to reassess things as time goes by. I always thought I would never want plastic surgery but I may change my mind and get the Mommy makeover in a year or 2. My boobs are flat and saggy now and they are the only part of my body I am unhappy with right now. My stomach has some loose skin but it still feels better than it did at 264 lbs.

From what I understand genetics, age and prior weight all play into loose skin. I am working on giving myself grace and accepting my imperfections and working to continue to improve as much as I can.

Advice Welcome....

I really appreciate your candor. I’ve got a weightlifting strategy in place, and I’ve already started ramping up. (My surgery is 8/31/21.) You’ve inspired me to also set an ambitious goal for walking.

Like you, I’m worried about my bust. If plastic surgery is in my future, it’ll be to address whatever’s gonna happen to ‘the girls’ once I start really losing. (I’m a 36H.)

And thanks for the collagen tip. I’ll definitely include more of that in my supplements.

All the best for your continued success and good health.