Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if I get my period before surgery?

Surgery is scheduled the 4th, I have PCOS so my period is a nightmare, it's been MIA for 2 months so now I'm concerned that It will show up at any time.

Just let the nurse that checks you in know. I had mine show up the day before. They will make sure that you have pads and are able to put your underwear on right after.
I was able to get up myself and use the bathroom as needed so it wasn’t to bad.

I worried about that too. For some reason the four times I've been hospitalized I've have my period 2 of those times (both times were following surgeries. while still in the hospital). And yes, one of those times was after my WLS. It wasn't fun... if you don't get your period before your surgery, you may get it while in the hospital (especially if you're staying the night) so make sure you bring stuff just in case.

Mine was due to hit day of surgery, I wore knix leak-proof underwear - they let me keep it on. It didn’t end up hitting until the next day, at least I was already on pain meds 🤪

I was supposed to get mine too but I called gyno and he told me how to tweak my BC pills so that I got it the week before. I have read from people on here that they have pads ans special underwear from maternity that they have you wear though so you will be okay if you can’t avoid it.

I had my period during surgery. They gave me the mesh underwear for surgery and also a pad.
when I came out of it I put my own stuff back on.

I had mine on surgery day, as well as the girl in the bed next to me. This is nothing new to the doctors and nurses. They nurses will probably give you disposable underwear and a pad to wear during surgery.

Try some of those period pants. They may even let you wear them during the surgery just bring an opened pair. Otherwise use tampons for the surgery.

I wish they had those period pants when I was menstruating - so much easier & comfortable I’d think.

Good luck with your surgery.

I had to stop my BC 6 weeks before my surgery (so a few days ago). I haven't had my period in over a decade because I take my BC continuous cycling since my period gives me so many problems. I'm so scared of getting my period again and I don't know when it will come. I travel a lot so I'm going to have to start packing tampons. And I throw up a lot with my period... that is not going to be fun while traveling... I hate being female....

Mine started right after I woke up after surgery lol Fun! The stress from surgery caused my body to start a week earlier than usual. No worries though, it didn't seem to affect anything. The nurses actually laughed when I paged them for "feminine hygiene products," because I it happens to a lot more of us than you'd think.

Mine started the day before surgery. Received a pad and mesh underwear, but they were gone when I awoke. Laid atop a thick bed pad, but I didn’t really bleed much after surgery (I think it messed with my cycle).

I have this very same fear. I'm peri menopausal so my cycle is no longer a cycle but more an erratic bloody crapshoot. When I do get a period it is VERY bad, so if I have it in the hospital they will have to get me post partum supplies from L&D. I never thought to tell the nurses beforehand, so thanks for that idea.