Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression and RNY

Hi friends,

I know a lot of people have these feelings I’m feeling right now. 5 weeks po on tuesday and I’m just so depressed. Not because I miss food but because of the struggle of getting in food and Water and Vitamins all while I can barely hold an ounce of food in at a time. Some days I feel incredible. Then the next, nausea hits me like a bus. Yesterday I got 28 ounces of water in. Today I’m focusing on just liquids to rehydrate but I’m so depressed it just feels like a chore. I’m also terrified to start soft foods. I tried eggs recently and they messed me Up bad. Anything that’s not puree mostly makes me feel so ill. I hate to say it but at this stage I’m regretting what I’ve done to my body. I can’t get in my calories or exercise so I’m losing about a pound a week which I know shouldn’t be my stress right now. I need to focus on water and liquids but if I’m gonna be sick all the time I’d at least like to lose a little faster (kidding mostly lol) I just needed somewhere to vent. Did you have a hard time in the first few months? Please feel free to share your stories, advice, anything. Im desperate.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I've read that many people go through a "buyer's remorse" stage for the first 6 weeks or so, because they sometimes feel pretty bad. Also, eggs can be pretty hard for many people to digest for a while after surgery, even though they're listed as an "okay to eat early" food. If you've been okayed to eat other soft foods, try things like refried Beans with a bit of cheese, or ground meat, or soft fish.

Hang in there!

3 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I haven't had surgery yet, but I've read that many people go through a "buyer's remorse" stage for the first 6 weeks or so, because they sometimes feel pretty bad. Also, eggs can be pretty hard for many people to digest for a while after surgery, even though they're listed as an "okay to eat early" food. If you've been okayed to eat other soft foods, try things like refried Beans with a bit of cheese, or ground meat, or soft fish.

Hang in there!

Thank you! It’s just been so hard. I’ve been doing the Puree chili and it was great but now I take 2 bites and I’m full and nauseous. My nutritionist says it’s because I’m dehydrated so I’m trying to mainly focus on Water but my goodness I feel so exhausted without food

I felt AWFUL for about 6 weeks after surgery (SADI-s). I was fatigued, depressed, nauseated…I was regretting my decision too. When you feel so awful, it’s REALLY hard to understand that you won’t feel that way forever. You start thinking that this will be your new normal. It won’t be. It really won’t.

Everyone heals differently and your recovery journey is your own. Also, healing is not linear. Some days are good. Some days are rough. That’s okay. Take things one day at a time. Do your best to hydrate and don’t even worry about exercise right now. Just heal.

1 hour ago, RLeaT said:

I felt AWFUL for about 6 weeks after surgery (SADI-s). I was fatigued, depressed, nauseated…I was regretting my decision too. When you feel so awful, it’s REALLY hard to understand that you won’t feel that way forever. You start thinking that this will be your new normal. It won’t be. It really won’t.

Everyone heals differently and your recovery journey is your own. Also, healing is not linear. Some days are good. Some days are rough. That’s okay. Take things one day at a time. Do your best to hydrate and don’t even worry about exercise right now. Just heal.

I really, REALLY needed this. Thank you so much that was exactly what I needed to hear. It’s hard! I went in knowing it wouldn’t be easy, but I never pictured this hard. I Can’t wait to look back and think how worth it this is. Thank you so much again.

It definitely happened to me. I then think of why I did it. And it has been working. Just keep your head up 👆 😍 ❤ ❤

i ate Jello pretty soon after my surgery (it was okay to eat and on the list) and i think i ate like 2-3 bites and was miserable for the rest of the night. slow and steady for sure. getting Water in feels like a full time job when you're first out of surgery. It will take time and i get the buyer's remorse as well. It's difficult to feel like you did the right thing when you're hurting and can't rely on anything (esp food) to cope. Sometimes some mindfulness helps me and reminding myself why i did it would help me power through some of the earlier stages.