Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apena ~*~ I need it!!!!

Help!!! I need sleep apena to be approved by BCBS TRS Activecare. I don't have the 5 yr weight history so I have to have 2 comobs things. We are going to try to use high bllod pressure and sleep apena. I have to have a sleep test done. Is there anything I can do to promote sleep apena????

Thanks

just tell your doctor that you are having problem sleeping and that you are falling sleep at work and so on. and that you want to get a sleep test done.

I'm having the test done this weekend. I was wondering how to enhance my chances of having Apnea. Does anyone know if they just count the number of times you stop breathing (which I'm afraid I don't do) or if they count the number of times you wake up. What else do they look at? Also, do they watch you sleep or just watch the data on the machines?

Thanks

I had a sleep study a week ago tomorrow and got the results yesterday. I am blessed that I do not have sleep apnea. I don't know that there is anything that you can do to enhance the chances of having sleep apnea. Before you go to sleep, they hook up several electrodes to your face, in your hair, on your legs, a prong in your nose that measures when you breathe in and out through your nose as well as through your mouth, you have 2 chest straps and your finger in one of those things that takes your pulse. It is my understanding your results come from those electrode readings. However, I will share with you one thing that I remember that my doctor told me. He said that people without apnea usually wake up five times or less during the night. To anwser both of your questions - I think that they count the number of times you stop breathing and the number of times you wake up. And, yes there is someone that watches you ALL night long. When I could no longer sleep because it was past my normal waking time (4:50), I sat up in the bed. No sooner than when I sat up, she was on the intercom asking whats wrong and then came into the room. I hope that I've helped. Good luck to you!

The sleep study involves attaching electrodes to you along with other devices that will measure your brain activity, breathing, heart rate, oxygen saturation....

sleep apnea is diagnosed by having an obstruction that prevents you from breathing, which then causes your brain to wake you up to breath. Because your not getting restful sleep you are tired all the time due to lack of REM cycles.

The best way to prepare for the test is to not sleep that day. Get up an hour or two earlier then you usually do and take no naps that day. It's not going to be something you can fake, since they look at your brain waves to see what stage of sleep you are in when the apnea occurs. If your awake and just stop breathing that will just look odd.

I had a sleep study doneu can't fool the test u have things hook up to your head chest legs all over it can tell when u sleep what stage of sleep you are in And if you are breathing while u r asleep

Onceuponatrip,

I did not think I had sleep apnea, as I am 28 years old with a BMI of 39 and have three small kids. I thought I was just tired all the time because my kids wake me up and my hubby says I don't even snore very loud, but I was diagnosed with SEVERE sleep APNEA and go for my 2nd test next weekend. My sister jokingly called to congratulate me on my new found disorder because it will help with ins approval. YOu never know, you might have it and just don't know it.

Onceuponatrip, when you said you don't have the 5 year weight history do you mean that you haven't seen a dr every year for the past 5 years or you weren't obese?

Onceuponatrip, when you said you don't have the 5 year weight history do you mean that you haven't seen a dr every year for the past 5 years or you weren't obese?

Actually both.... I see the doctor only when I"m sick, which is not very often.

And I had to work at getting my BMI up to the 35 that my insurance requires.

There is no way to fake sleep apnea.

The Drs can tell everything about you when you are sleeping. They even track eye and leg movements. They track how deep your sleep is, whether you move around, they can see and hear everything.

If you do have it, then after you get the band you cant use the cpap for 6 weeks. Or it will mess up your stomach.

What about something detectable by bloodwork: cholesterol, insulin resistance, etc. I know depression related to weight is even a comorbidity with my insurance.

Odawa

How sure are you about not being able to use your cpap machine for six weeks after lapband surgery? I just had my pre-op appt with my surgeon and he didnt mention anything about it. I ask if I need to bring it to the hospital and he said no since I will have out patient surgery it is not necessary. I

love my cpap and can't sleep without it.

sleep Tests suck!! I know I have sleep apnea, but with all that crap hooked up all over me, I couldn't even get to sleep. I got about 45 minutes of "sleep" laying on my side, because I can't sleep on my back due to the fat smothering me and my choking... anyway, my test just came back negative because I never slept enough for them to test. But, my doc said it didn't matter anyway since I was well over 40 BMI... I guess they had to check anyway.

I think that sleep apnea test is a bunch of BS!! I had stuff taped all over me, including my throat, which my jugular was taped and kept throbbing and making my whole neck move because of the tape.. It was such a bunch of crap. I've had these done twice now and neither time I could sleep. How can they get a sufficient test done if you never sleep???

I don't have a clue! *L* The tech guy would not tell me a thing, which I interpeted as "no apnea". Which I'm not surprised. I really don't think I have it. I did try sleeing on my back to 'promote' it but I guess it didn't work.

I have left message with my lapband center to find out when I'll get official results and what to do next. No word from them yet.....

I'm hoping if the sleep apnea did come back clean they will suggest blood work to detect something else. I've have almost 2 months of the supervised diet so I hate to hear a sorry insurance won't cover it.