Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reaching Goal Weight

Just curious. How long after surgery did you hit goal weight? I’m 6 months out and still need another 30-40 lbs.

For me, it was 18 months and 1 day to reach my goal weight. It's different for everyone though. It depends a lot on 1. how much you have to lose and 2. how fast your weight loss is. My weight loss is very slow due to hypothyroidism and I've had near constant stalls along my journey. However, I was still able to get to my personal goal weight. And I'm even passed it by a pound. If I hit maintenance any time soon, I'd be okay where I'm at now. However, now that I've reached goal I think it'd be nice to see 175 or even 170, but if I don't get there, I'd be alright with that.

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

20 months - but I evidently started out a much higher weight than you. As NovaLuna said, it's different for everyone.

Edited by catwoman7

Im a couple inches shorter than you, and started out with a lower starting weight (235), so at BMI 43. No known medical issues that would impede weight loss.

Got to goal weight (sort of…i aimed for 120lbs, but stopped at 127lbs cuz i felt I was getting too small) in 7 months.

That was over two years ago.

I lost a few more pounds in first couple months of maintenance and have been sitting at 115 for the past 2 years (BMI 21).

One thing to keep in mind when reading others’ responses to your question is that everyone will have a different goal weight. Some people may start off at say a BMI of 60, so common sense would indicate it would take them longer to reach goal than someone who started off at BMI 40. Further, some may aim for the “normal” BMI of 25, some more, some less…so the duration would vary based on how low each individual actually wants to go.

Oh, and who knows, you may (like many others here - including me) adjust your goal down the line…it really depends on what size/weight you are comfortable at and can maintain vs. some number on the scale.

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

It depends upon how much you want to lose. And everyone loses at their own rate - lots of factors influence this (age, gender, weight loss history, metabolic rate, activity, etc.). Generally you lose more quickly to begin & then slow as you get closer to goal.

I took 6 months to lose the 31kgs (68lbs) to my goal. I lost an additional about 11kgs I over a year as I was trying to find my way in maintenance.

You’ve lost 81lbs in your first 6 months that’s great. You’ll get to where you want to be. It’s not a race.