Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal weight - just a number?

I'm almost one year out and down 89#, which is 28# short of my goal weight. That said, I already look "thin", to the point that family & friends - and now me - are questioning why I'm trying to lose the additional weight. I'm 5'6" & 158#. I'm wearing a size small/medium and a size 6 in pants. I'm also planning to have skin removal surgery in the next year or so. While I'm still going to stick to my post-op diet, I no longer feel the need to continue losing. Is this a common thing?

People started telling me the same thing when I hit about 150. I’m 5’3.5”, so a little shorter than you. I’m also a sm in tops and size 6. I’ve now dropped to 140ish, glad to have hit “healthy” BMI (just barely!). I’m comfortable here and am working to maintain in a window of 140-145, which at the high end will technically be overweight but I’m ok with that.

BTW I lost 19 lbs since my skin removal surgery in January. According to the doc 11 lbs skin was removed so I’ve dropped a little more via diet and exercise since.

I think you’ll find many on here who consciously stopped trying to lose weight before their initial/original goal weight.

I’m 5’2” and had set a goal of 120.

By the time 140-150 came around I was getting some “concerned” comments, but I personally wasn’t satisfied yet.

When I hit 127, i decided to stop as *I* felt I was looking too skeletor-ish.

Fast forward 2 years from that and I ended up losing a bit more anyway.

Today I am 115, but I think I actually look less skeletor-ish than i did at 127 immediately after weight loss phase (the fam agrees). I think it’s because weight may have shifted around a tad, and because carbs are a part of my regular diet. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I started feeling fine when I hit around 160, but I didn't consciously try to stop because I'd read a 10-20 lb rebound weight gain happens to most people during year 3. So I just continued with what I was doing and I eventually drifted down to 138, where my body naturally stopped. And yep - rebound happened. Up to 150 by the end of year 3 (which is perfect for me), and I thought I would end up stabilizing there - but no - I gained 10 more lbs around year 5. Trying desperately now to get back down to 150, since I felt like I looked and felt my best there.

so in short, if you're sure you want to stop there, then that's totally fine, of course - but just keep in mind that a 10-20 lb rebound after hitting your low weight happens to a lot (probably most) of us. I'm glad I let myself keep going because I eventually did end up where I wanted to be (although again, I'd like to be able to get rid of the last 10 lbs that I gained!!)