Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So frustrated, 1st appeal denied

My surgeon's office appealed with the EXACT same language as the first request to go from VSG to an RNY which was denied. Hello month wasted, of course they would deny it again. What's that line about repeating the same behavior expecting a new result? Sheer laziness! 😡 I'm currently waiting on a call back from the appeals department at my insurance for clarification on one of the points of the revision criteria:

Weight loss to 90% or less of ideal body weight

If my understanding is correct, since I only lost 27% of my excess body weight and I'm a good 55 pounds from my ideal body weight (not even my goal, but I'm 35 pounds from that too and only lost 24 pounds total) I could be considered for revision. What I find is ridiculous is I have a few cm sliding hiatal hernia visible on my upper GI literally every time I breathe, hiccups countless times a day associated with that, GERD no responding to PPI use resulting in mild (so far) esophagitis, and documented dysphagia just with liquids on a swallow study done plus I've had vomiting with foods like meats that got "stuck" because my esophageal muscles aren't working properly anymore. All of which would be resolved with revision to bypass.

Add in I have family history with cancer on both sides, including with my grandad and aunt on my dad's side who had stomach cancer (removed whole stomach) and esophageal cancer (multiple bouts) respectively, and this scares the crap out of me. I don't want to be on a PPI for years, which is not safe, or wait until I have 4 months of documented severe esophagitis that could turn cancerous. Not to mention what this could do to my asthma and high blood pressure during this whole Covid era, neither of which were resolved by the initial surgery either. Why does insurance have to be such a 🤬 ?!!

I'm sorry you're facing this. I hope you get it sorted out! Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches