Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Requiring Separate Surgery for Lap Band Removal Before Bypass

Hello everyone. I have had a lap band for about 15 years or so and it hasn't been filled in years because of all of the problems I was having. I have recently decided to have a gastric bypass. Saw the surgeon for an initial consult, but he refuses to remove the band and do the bypass in one surgery. He says I have to first have the band removed, then wait however long and then have the bypass. The reason, he says, is that there is a higher risk of complications if the lap band is removed at the time of the bypass.

Is he right? I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion. However, I'm self pay for bypass so I don't want to pay for a surgery that could be aborted due to complications, which makes me want to follow his advice (and the lap band removal is covered by insurance). On the other hand, I really want to have the bypass as soon as possible. I know this is a marathon and not a race, but I'm anxious to start my new journey. Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, etc. they can share regarding these issues? It would be greatly appreciated!

yes - I've heard of them separating the two surgeries. I think it depends on both the surgeon and the patient (i.e., what's going on in there). I've also heard of cases where the surgeon says he/she can do it in one surgery, but once they get in there, they realize they can't so they abort the second half of the surgery and schedule it for later. It never hurts to get a second opinion...

I had the lapband conversion to gastric bypass in one surgery and was very thankful to have it done that way. To do this, I had to choose a specific surgeon who is capable/specializes in the conversion. However there is always a chance it might turn into two surgeries anyway if is a complicated removal. My lapband was also in for 15 years and unfilled due to issues w it. It turned out it added an hour and a half to surgery as was very embedded. The con of this was recovery was a bear! Because of all the manipulation on the left side to remove lapband I was in very bad pain for weeks and in hospital for 4 days. I am still very thankful it was one surgery and over! I hope this helps.

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! I guess I am leaning toward keeping the surgeon and just doing two surgeries...

On 07/25/2021 at 09:59, devotion said:

Hello everyone. I have had a lap band for about 15 years or so and it hasn't been filled in years because of all of the problems I was having. I have recently decided to have a gastric bypass. Saw the surgeon for an initial consult, but he refuses to remove the band and do the bypass in one surgery. He says I have to first have the band removed, then wait however long and then have the bypass. The reason, he says, is that there is a higher risk of complications if the lap band is removed at the time of the bypass.

Is he right? I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion. However, I'm self pay for bypass so I don't want to pay for a surgery that could be aborted due to complications, which makes me want to follow his advice (and the lap band removal is covered by insurance). On the other hand, I really want to have the bypass as soon as possible. I know this is a marathon and not a race, but I'm anxious to start my new journey. Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, etc. they can share regarding these issues? It would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! Mine made me separate by a minimum of 6 months to give the scar tissue time to heal. He said the longer the better, but 6 months minimum. I’m having my new surgery done next week! I was upset about waiting too but it goes fast and in the bigger scheme of things a few months is nothing. I had to wait 3 months for insurance approval anyway, so it was only an extra 3 lol

My surgeon said the same thing. I had my lap band removed August 2021. I'm having the sleeve done next month. I wanted it all done in one surgery but he said my stomach had to recover from having the band removed and it would help with scar tissue. Plus, I had a hernia in my first surgery that didn't show up on my xray and it was attached to my lung. So, my current surgeon wanted to make sure I didn't have any more surprises come up.

It makes sense to have two separate surgeries. The location of the band is right in the area where the surgeon needs to cut away the stomach to create a small pouch. That area needs to heal and contract back to normal size before he can cut there.

Just had this. Did it in one shot, however the surgeon said if there's erosion from the band I might wake up with just the band gone. He said this was unlikely. Don't forget also: some surgeons are simply more capable that others, that's always one explanation.