Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staying Occupied Post-Op!

My surgery is on Monday and the nerves are setting in for sure (the good ones!). I was wondering if anyone had any advice for keeping my occupied during post-op recovery. I am not worried about being hungry, but I want to keep my mind occupied as much as possible to make sure I don't go crazy in during the recovery stage. I've heard some people recommend coloring books and mindful readings, but I wanted to open it up to everyone for some extra help 😊

Scrapbooking of your weight loss journey, research and document your family history (or history if your town), learn a new language and plan vacation to the country where it is spoken, learn a new skill (playing virtual piano for example), write a novel/poetry/music.

Honestly in the first few days after surgery, I wasn’t really interested in doing anything. I couldn’t seem to concentrate on anything & I slept or dozed a lot. We all take our own time to heal & I needed a little longer. Week 2 & 3 I was happy to potter about my house doing chores, doing my walks & rest while watching some mindless tv or reading.

The funny thing is that I'm a reader so I brought a ton of books to the hospital, but I didn't read a single one lol. I walked the halls and watched GSN (Game Show Network. For some reason whenever I'm hospitalized that's the station the TV stays on lol. I don't even watch TV at home! 😂). But yeah, I was exhausted after surgery, but forced myself to walk the halls every 45 minutes to an hour to work the gas out. I got complimented by the nurses for walking so much lol. I didn't feel like doing much else so I just watched TV and walked.

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

If you like crossword/word search/logic puzzles, a couple of fresh puzzle magazines could be good. Or a phone/tablet for online games, if you like those. Best of luck with your surgery!

Honestly, you will be occupied with drinking enough Fluid so you don't get dehydrated, and walking off the gas from anesthesia.

I walked, rested, and did a little needlework ( hand embroidery, or cross-stitch). Take up a new hobby.

When I was able to get enough liquids, I shopped resale shops for smaller sizes, just a few things. LOL

I brought my iPad logged into Netflix and that was more than enough to occupy me the little time I was awake and not walking or drinking or eating (broth).

I just had surgery on Aug 16th. I'll be honest - I planned on reading and futzing around on my phone/tablet at the hospital, but I did nothing. I didn't even turn the TV on, which is weird because at home I am always listening to music, having the TV on, reading, something. The first day I was dozing in and out and the second day I was so focused on trying to drink and taking small walks around the ward that it seemed to fill the hours. Bring something you can entertain yourself with (books, tablet, whatever) but don't be surprised if you don't touch it much.

Once I got home, I did a lot of reading, writing and jigsaw puzzling. I had all these other plans of what I would do with the extra time, but honestly again I was so consumed with trying to get all my fluids in, as well as napping now again, that I just let my body guide my decision making on what to do or not do. Especially in the first week - it got better in week two, I felt like much less of a slug.