Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone going to UCSD for surgery?

Hi there! I'm an RN and having a revision surgery (sleeve to RNY). I'm currently being seen at the UCSD bariatric dept but have had nothing but problems with them. I had insurance approval, but without explanation they literally refused to let me make an appointment for almost 6 months. I finally called them and said that I've been getting railroaded for 6 months and that I wanted to speak to someone who could actually help me. That worked and I got an appointment, but not until after they told me that my original approval had expired and that I needed to get another one from my primary doc!!! Anyhow, I've been through the entire pre-op process and weekly classes etc. a few times. Once when I was considering a lap-band. Once with my ex-husband, and the third time when I had my sleeve. Needless to say, I know what to ask and was very upfront and direct with my doctor. He ended up lying to me about the pre-op weight loss requirements at every single visit (3 in total), and then refused to refer me to the surgeon (When I saw him 6 weeks prior he said that he would write the order to see the surgeon). And no, I didn't gain weight. Lol... I'm just curious if anyone else has had a negative experience with UCSD and if you were able to get it resolved? When I asked for a different doctor I was refused, but after I put in a formal written complaint they decided to let me see a different doctor. In the meantime, my insurance has approved another bariatric group and surgeon. Yay! Hopefully my experience with UCSD is just an anomaly.

Edited by littledognme

I did my surgery through Sharp and they were wonderful. I had to go through all the steps and classes but as far as timeline they were on top of it. As soon as I finished one thing they got me scheduled for the next step.

Sharp is an insurance company like blue cross, kaiser, united health, anthem, etc.

To OP did you get a new surgeon? How did it go? I saw a surgeon at UCLA and UCI; both sister centers of UCSD. I went with the surgeon at UCI; liked him and his support staff so much better. UCLA was supposed to order some further test as I'm having gastric bypass to repair a failed acid reflux surgery and they never did. The nutritionist I met that day was a complete ding bat and I felt like I knew more about the diet than she did (acid reflux recovery is much the same). My surgeon's staff is amazing; they answers any and all questions as soon as I send an email or leave a message; even doing a phone appointment from home to accommodate my schedule. My husband, daughter and grandson see hemophilia and genetics doctors at UCSD and they are wonderful, so I think it might be that department at UCLA.

Hopefully you have found a surgeon you are happy with and on your way to or already had your surgery.