Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweating less after intense workout

I started working out pretty hard 6 months before my surgery. I would sweat profusely within minutes of starting. I'm right at 3 months post-op and I'm doing my same cycles with cardio and weight training but with more intensity and longer duration and I'm sweating a lot less. Like just my collar is wet....not my whole shirt like in days pass.. anyone else run into this? When i work out I like to walk out of the gym looking like I got dunked in a pool....

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

That's reassuring to hear! I also started working out pretty intensely about six months pre-op and I'm hoping I have a similar post-op experience to your own!!!

Your body is a furnace & the more weight you carry the harder it has to work & the hotter it gets. Sweating is how your body cools itself. As you get fitter your body doesn’t have to exert itself & overheat as much so you’ll sweat less. Plus you’re not carrying around as much weight.

Just wait until you lose enough to start to feel the cold. Brrr. You’re losing all that fat insulation.

Your body is a furnace & the more weight you carry the harder it has to work & the hotter it gets. Sweating is how your body cools itself. As you get fitter your body doesn’t have to exert itself & overheat as much so you’ll sweat less. Plus you’re not carrying around as much weight.
Just wait until you lose enough to start to feel the cold. Brrr. You’re losing all that fat insulation.

Already feeling that already. My house use to be set at no higher than 66 cause I stayed so hot. Now it rarely drops below 68.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

I hardly break a sweat at all anymore when I exercise. I think it's normal to sweat less the lighter you get - you have less insulation.

Absolutely - I haven't needed anti-perspirants/deodorants for years. Likewise, my resting (and active) heartrate is much lower - always gets the attention of nurses when they take my vitals.

Take Wellbutrin. It causes excessive sweating without even working out. Just kidding but seriously did you also change any medications cause that really could be why.

11 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Take Wellbutrin. It causes excessive sweating without even working out. Just kidding but seriously did you also change any medications cause that really could be why.

I quit taking all meds after surgery and started protonix. I sweat like fool at work still but the gym I don't get the same results

Are you drinking enough Water? If you’re working out, it should be more than 64oz

On 7/26/2021 at 9:15 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Lmao yessss. Best drug ever but when I started it I would sweat through my shirt on the way to work -- at this was in the winter! And I was only like 150 lbs at the time. Woo.

Anyways I love this thread I am a big sweater and I look forward to the day I can look like a human in the gym.

2 hours ago, TheRealPennyD said:

Lmao yessss. Best drug ever but when I started it I would sweat through my shirt on the way to work -- at this was in the winter! And I was only like 150 lbs at the time. Woo.

Anyways I love this thread I am a big sweater and I look forward to the day I can look like a human in the gym.

If the excessive sweating remains a problem you should ask your dr about oxybutinin. It’s an incontinence drug but a side effect is decreased sweating. I have to take it because the sweating was so bad with Wellbutrin. Seriously. It works though. Also, decreasing the Wellbutrin dose. I was able to get away with a slightly lower dose and with the oxybutinin I dont Sweat right out of the shower anymore.

I don't sweat nearly as much anymore but I also live in a desert, so it's rarely humid here. Now even after a 5k I just... glisten.

I lost 117# and don’t sweat anymore either. Even in tropical climates.

Me too! I'm just assuming it's because I'm more "fit." I also noticed that when I started back at the gym after not being there since COVID, I didn't have to wean myself in and could immediately do a 30-45 minute workout instead of having to start at 10 minutes and work my way up. It was reassuring that I hadn't totally lost all of my fitness abilities. I was worried that I wasn't working out hard enough because I wasn't sweating profusely like before, but my heart rate monitor shows I'm doing good, so I'm happy not to be drenched.