Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having the HARDEST time telling if I'm hungry or full. I'm 3 months post op. Last night I had a little Soup and a protect shake. 2 hours later, when try to fall asleep, my stomach kept going from hunger pangs to nausea like I ate too much. Is my brain confusing the signals??? No weight loss for a month...

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using BariatricPal mobile app

Some of us notice signals from our body that we are full-I’ve heard mention of sneezing, a tight feeling across the chest, or what I feel which is hiccups.

If you don’t have these signals, something you may consider if you aren’t doing it is strict calorie and macro tracking. That way you will know when you’ve met your body’s needs for the day and can tell yourself you are done for the day. This can also help to make sure you aren’t eating so much that you’re hitting maintenance calories vs weight loss calories.

Oh, and also-are you getting in plenty of fluids each day? Sometimes people get what feels like a hunger feeling when actually they are thirsty. I’ve found warm beverages can often cut that signal off pretty well. If it’s happening in the evening try camomile tea, it’ll have the added benefit of helping you sleep :)

For me real hunger is when I become restless. Legs twitch, feel sort of uncomfortable & as if something is wrong but I don’t know what. The first time I felt real hunger, I hadn’t eaten since lunch & it was about 10pm. Didn’t know what i was feeling until a I realised I was actually hungry. If you know you’ve eaten recently, have eaten an appropriate sized serving & have eaten properly all day, it’s likely not hunger.

Could be thirst, it could also be from stomach acid which can give you those uncomfortable, crampy, rumbling tummy type feelings. Are you still taking esomeprazole?

You may need to be eating something more solid than a Protein Shake which will help with the stomach acid too. (I never had another shake after week 2 - got all my nutrients through real food.) The shake being liquid will pass through your digestive system more quickly which throws off realising if you’re full or not.

Sounds like your experiencing another stall. Some only have a couple, some have a lot of them. Frustrating though. At least you know it will break.

In the beginning, I felt hunger and fullness at the same time but that was on the liquid and purée diets. At three months, I can tell the difference. Hunger feels similar to before surgery but less urgent. Fullness started as tightness in my chest but now feels similar to before surgery - like belly sticking out.

I will say that certain foods will make my belly full but I’ll be hungry shortly after - carbs and Protein Shakes. Maybe that’s what you’re experiencing?